Kawasaki World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go, in m quest to keep my 12R for life I have decided to repaint it the original metallic lime green with that purple/black. What I need to know is, what's the best method of removing the original paint before applying the base coat? :squint:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I'm not a painter!
I recently rubbed my panels down thoroughly with 600 grit wet and dry. A bit less grit where I was levelling out stone chips and imperfections.
I sprayed with 2K base coat which we're not supposed to use here anymore as it's toxic. Bloody good stuff though, with rapid hardener.
Flatted it off with 1200 and 2000 grit wet and dry.
Added graphics.
Sprayed 2K lacquer over it.
It looks alright to me! Until my next stuntman dismount! :rotflmao:
The 2K paint doesn't need lacquer but I wanted to seal in vinyl graphics and vinyl pin stripes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not a painter!
I recently rubbed my panels down thoroughly with 600 grit wet and dry. A bit less grit where I was levelling out stone chips and imperfections.
I sprayed with 2K base coat which we're not supposed to use here anymore as it's toxic. Bloody good stuff though, with rapid hardener.
Flatted it off with 1200 and 2000 grit wet and dry.
Added graphics.
Sprayed 2K lacquer over it.
It looks alright to me! Until my next stuntman dismount! :rotflmao:
The 2K paint doesn't need lacquer but I wanted to seal in vinyl graphics and vinyl pin stripes.
Ahahahaha so I guess everything would be fine as long as there's no stuntman dismount. I'm no expert in painting but I'm more of a DIY kinda guy. Sanding has its advantages, but in this case it would be tiring. I'm thinking sanding the shiny bit and then spreading some striper over and then covering, let it simmer for a bit before I scrape it off. Never done this on plastic. Hope it works out.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Ahahahaha so I guess everything would be fine as long as there's no stuntman dismount. I'm no expert in painting but I'm more of a DIY kinda guy. Sanding has its advantages, but in this case it would be tiring. I'm thinking sanding the shiny bit and then spreading some striper over and then covering, let it simmer for a bit before I scrape it off. Never done this on plastic. Hope it works out.
I didn't sand it all off, just did enough to matt the surface. I would be afraid to use strippers unless I was very confident it wasn't going to eat the ABS fairing. :thumbup:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't sand it all off, just did enough to matt the surface. I would be afraid to use strippers unless I was very confident it wasn't going to eat the ABS fairing. :thumbup:
I'll hold that thought till I'm positive the stripper won't affect the ABS in any way.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts

I'll hold that thought till I'm positive the stripper won't affect the ABS in any way.
Post some pictures of the paint on your bike panels,

If the paint finish on your panels is not too bad, all you need to do is 'flat' it back, to a matt finish, as Shep says.

If you use paint stripper, I'm sure it will end up 'messing' your panels up.

Have a look on YouTube, plenty of info on there.

Thanx Dave.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Post some pictures of the paint on your bike panels,

If the paint finish on your panels is not too bad, all you need to do is 'flat' it back, to a matt finish, as Shep says.

If you use paint stripper, I'm sure it will end up 'messing' your panels up.

Have a look on YouTube, plenty of info on there.

Thanx Dave.

I'm not able to attach files to the replies so I used one of the pics as my avatar. I hope it gives an idea.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Good for you Reyez - both on the keeping it for life and the colour choice :thumbup:

Be aware that the original green with have a profound effect on the bikes performance. It is common for such a mod to improve rear wheel horsepower by as much as 10-15. Similarly, top end speed also increases as well as the obvious increased attention from the opposite sex!! :lol:

Looking forward to seeing the final pics. Cheers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good for you Reyez - both on the keeping it for life and the colour choice :thumbup:

Be aware that the original green with have a profound effect on the bikes performance. It is common for such a mod to improve rear wheel horsepower by as much as 10-15. Similarly, top end speed also increases as well as the obvious increased attention from the opposite sex!! :lol:

Looking forward to seeing the final pics. Cheers.
+1

Thanks Beak. The original green sure gives a +2 with the ladies, not sure about the extra horses though :rotflmao: as you can see the colour is still awesome, if weren't for the scratches on the sides due to falling from parking the bike on the ground, I wouldn't be concerned about painting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts