Kawasaki World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of purchasing 99 Kawasaki zx9r, but have a issue with it, owner says "Third gear has gone out but I have a new input gear and output gear, shafts as well as the shift drum and shift forks all out of a 2000 zx9r. "
I am a mechanic, have not worked on a cycle before except for simple stuff, I have a Excellent camera so I can document all stages of teardown, for rebuilt purposes. How hard is it to replace a gear and a shift fork on this bike? Will have a few months to do it. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
My biggest warning to you would be what damage the "3rd gear gone out" has done.

It's a crap shoot until you split the cases and get in there.

I bought a Suzuki 600 cc 4WD ATV several years ago fairly cheap that would start fine, but would not move. I took a gamble that it was something with the centrifugal clutch - maybe just a blown belt, possibly the clutch hub. The ATV was not perfect but was in pretty good shape and had new wheels and tires.

So.... I start tearing it down - it was strictly a flip project and....

The left side crankcase was completely broken/shattered around the transmission output shaft where it came out and drove the drive shaft that went to either the front or rear of the vehicle.

A new aluminum crankcase half was about $500 but they are machined as a pair so now I am looking at $1000 before I even get out of bed.

I strongly suspect that somebody was spinning the tires hard on dirt and then hitting pavement and eventually the old girl broke.

I got lucky in finding a guy here in town that was willing and skilled enough to re-weld and machine the output shaft holder area of the crankcase but it was not cheap (but a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing the crankcase halves). Aluminum is not easy to weld and what he did was a work of art, no doubt.

So, all the above being said my advice to you is:

If you are getting the bike cheap enough it could be a great deal if its just truly a broken or worn dog leg of shaft or you could be getting a bottomless pit. I would advise you purchase it only if you are getting it cheap enough that you can part it out for what you have invested if you get in there and discover the worst.

That is experience talking to you and somebody who knows his way around motors. :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
I replaced both in my ZX12 recently. It's scary, but not hard at all. Get a service manual and follow the instructions. The only special tool I used was the clutch basket holder so I could torque it down properly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts