Kawasaki World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to find replacement wheels for my '02 12R.

Does anyone know what wheels, either aftermarket or off another bike that has exact matching rotors pattern?

I want to keep my existing front and rear brake rotors.

I'm not interested in replacement wheels from another 12R.

If this has already been answered in the forum, please point me to the thread(s).

Thanks...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Not sure what you are after?? But fitting brake discs is very much standard. Are you looking for different look? Lighter wheel with better performance?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what you are after?? But fitting brake discs is very much standard. Are you looking for different look? Lighter wheel with better performance?
Looking for updated wheels, for safety as well as looks.

My mechanic told me to be careful, as the brake rotors I have will likely not just "bolt on" to other bike wheels, as the bolt patterns can be slightly off.

Basically looking for anything from 2010 on from another bike or new aftermarket wheels...

Would like to hear from someone who's done it, confirming what wheels they used and that the brake rotors mounting is an exact match.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I really don't think there is any different factory wheel that "bolts right up"... aftermarket, not many people even making rims for these any more, but if you got the money you could look into BST carbon fiber. I think they're like $4k+ for a set.

An alternative, is ZX10R rims. Takes a little to mount them, but overall work isn't horrible. I am running ZX10R rims, ZX10R shock, ZX14 swingarm, ZX14 front forks and front brakes.

Reference these threads for how to....

http://kawasakiworld.com/zx-12r/50727-how-swap-zx14-swingarm-onto-your-zx12r.html

http://kawasakiworld.com/zx-12r/55096-2000-zx12r-zx14-front-fork-brake-conversion.html

http://kawasakiworld.com/zx-12r/50935-how-swap-zx10-rims-onto-your-zx12.html

·
Registered
181 Posts
Looking for updated wheels, for safety as well as looks.

My mechanic told me to be careful, as the brake rotors I have will likely not just "bolt on" to other bike wheels, as the bolt patterns can be slightly off.

Basically looking for anything from 2010 on from another bike or new aftermarket wheels...

Would like to hear from someone who's done it, confirming what wheels they used and that the brake rotors mounting is an exact match.
OK. The original Kawasaki wheels are if I remember about $7-800 a pop. I'm personally looking two options.

1. Galespeed Magnesium wheels.
GALESPEED Wheels Rims Forged Aluminum forged magnesium wheels, and rims

2. BST BLACK DIAMOND carbon wheels.
Wheels | BlackStone Tek

Both options will shave a lot of weight and will prove your bikes performance and handling. IMO and it is only my opinion is that these two options are the best two in aftermarket. There are many other brands so read some reviews and check the Youtube.

Also I have seen ZX14 wheels been used. At the rear I believe you need to also use the ZX14 brake caliper mount to make it work. I'm sure there are people that have done it and can give you a better directions on using ZX14 wheels.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Also I have seen ZX14 wheels been used. At the rear I believe you need to also use the ZX14 brake caliper mount to make it work. I'm sure there are people that have done it and can give you a better directions on using ZX14 wheels.
The ZX14 wheel is heavier then the stock ZX12R wheel so there is no benefit, besides looks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The ZX14 wheel is heavier then the stock ZX12R wheel so there is no benefit, besides looks.
Thanks Hibs. Good to know. I didn't know that. They look lighter for some reason and being a later model bike you would think that they would have given the Zx14 better performing wheels. Just shows you how good ZX12R is.

·
Registered
528 Posts
OK. The original Kawasaki wheels are if I remember about $7-800 a pop. I'm personally looking two options.

1. Galespeed Magnesium wheels.
GALESPEED Wheels Rims Forged Aluminum forged magnesium wheels, and rims

2. BST BLACK DIAMOND carbon wheels.
Wheels | BlackStone Tek

Both options will shave a lot of weight and will prove your bikes performance and handling. IMO and it is only my opinion is that these two options are the best two in aftermarket. There are many other brands so read some reviews and check the Youtube.

How much are galespee vs bst?
Are thoey direct bolt on?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yes they are perfect fit. You order them to fit your bike. There are other brands too. Do little search with Google.
Good idea I might try that :runaway:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts