Kawasaki World banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Left fairing done.I tried to be a skintflint and masked off the big zx12r decals.now I would have renewed them,due to the time taken masking the contours of decal,and also all the work tidying up the clearcoat around them afterwards

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Well finally to the tank cover.hope you like the makeshift spraybooth ,with mosquito nets inside.dramatically reduced the pests screwing my jobs up.The tank has its 2 base colours on,and laid down lovely(solvent).
Kawasaki no longer make the tank cover badges,so that made things more difficult,as every individual letter had to be positioned so measuring points were taken before removal and noted down

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
You've done an excellent job mate!
Lots to learn as you went, I've only ever painted the swingarm black and done some plastics repairs here and there.
Thank you duck.yes you are correct,there is so much to learn,and common sense should play a big part,tho in my case it was always hindsight haha,after another screw up.As I progressed,I realised the importance of preparation,and cleanliness,of parts,and even oneself,and apparel.oh and static,boy do plastic parts have static,and attract so much dust and fibres.you do have a thing called a tac rag,that is slightly waxy to the feel but doesn't contaminate the surface to be painted,and these are a great tool in your locker,and if lightly glided over surface will pick up all the debris.There are anti static guns but are expensive for good ones,and are more for the professional's.Sometimes things are out of our control ,and not your fault,still sucks all the same when a job gets ruined.
Tire Furniture Hood Automotive tire Wheel

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Here is such an example,I was asked to spray a front fender/wing for a ford.I'm no painter,just a bloke trying to get his zx12 done,but word spreads and before you know it i am getting approached for favours haha.Anyway after all the prep and base coat going well,if you zoom in you will see the clear coat ruined,looking like the surface of the moon.I could not fathom it out,I was meticulous with prep,mixing,the clear coat was good as I had used the same batch before without issues.I was baffled.This contamination is known as waxeye/or fisheye same thing,and is caused by silicon or grease/oil contamination.
i did find the culprit,it was my bloody neighbour,he was having a barbecue,and the barbecue fumes was the cause in the air.That's how critical it is!!!At least it wasn't my fault haha

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Awesome man. Bring that mofo back to life.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Haha thank you mark,I'm on it!! On a sidenote,I used ron Ayers for sourcing part numbers,and ordered an indicator unit .when it arrives it was different from the others on bike.My fault,I assumed they would be the same.on further investigation,the UK spec part number is different.They kindly let me return it,minus handling charge,but there you go,who would have thought they have different indicators for the american market.still learning bud!

41 - 60 of 62 Posts