Kawasaki World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody shimmed the back of an 02 yet? If so, by how much and what were the results?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Here's a review that mentions ride height

Well, this is a GOOD review from Motorcycle Daily ('cause it recognizes that Nines are great) :D :
http://motorcycledaily.com/03june02kawasaki2002zx9r.html
It also has these figures on their set-up (including rear height shims) for guys that can't open the link :roll: :

Suspension notes:

Front suspension: Preload - 2nd line from top flush with fork cap
Rebound damping - 1.5 turns out from full hard
Compression damping - 3 turns out from full hard, stock ride height

Rear suspension: Preload - 9.5mm of threads showing above top collar
Rebound damping - 4 turns out from full hard
Compression damping - two turns out from full hard
Ride height - 8.7mm of shims added at shock mount, resulting in
25.4mm (1 inch) at the axle

©Copyright The Edge Family Trust 1999-2002. All rights reserved. No part of

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen that article before.

I think I will try 5mm first. Now I just have to wait 6 months to find out how it rides. :(

Oh, well......... that leaves time for an undertail, hugger, suspension work, etc...

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm running 5 mm of lift on my '00 and just got a set of M-1's. This is a great and very light handling combination. Makes my 9R feel like a bicycle.

With the old 207's I wouldn't have any qualms about the 8.7 mm but I think it would make the M-1's feel a little nervous.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Bruce. What did you use? I shaped a chunk of 5mm aluminum for my VTR but there has to be an easier way.

·
Registered
217 Posts
No shims just dialed up the in between nut by that much. Then tightened teh top nut enough to hold but not enough to strain the lower with the extra loading.

Must admit that I'd feel better with shims though. I'll just step up to my metal lathe and turn up a few.......... :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
shims

What do the shims look like? Are they just washers or what? Where can you get some? I've heard the kawa ones are expensive...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NO such luck for us 02 guys, Bruce. No lower nut, has to be a shim.

How much for one 5mm and on 8.5mm? :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Dang, that sucks for you guys.......

OK, it's not a biggie to make them up. There's two options here. What I need to know is how easy it is or even if it's possible to remove the upper nut and have the whole adjuster bolt slide down far enough to let you slip on ring shaped spacers. This would be ideal.

The second option would be a set of C shaped spacers that you slip in place and then use a set of large channel lock pliers to crimp the C closed slightly to avoid the shim squirting out at a bad time.

I could make up a set of 4 shims that total 10 mm's and let you set the height in 1 mm steps. That would be a 4, 3, 2 and 1 mm shims. So you can use different combos to get pretty well any reasonable lift you want. Price would be oh, say $20 Cdn or less depending on how long and how I did it.

But it's got to wait until my kitchen and a couple of other renovation projects are finished.

I'll slip by the dealer later this week and have a look at a current model and get back to this thread.

Howzzat?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Atleast you guys can adjust your rear ride height, on the '98-'99 the only option we have is to get adjustable dogbones but then it's also adjusting ratio.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Fender washers

Everything I've read says that fender washers work just fine and are cheap too. I heard that the factory shims cost $160. Wonder if they are open on one end so that they go on easier? Uhhh... :roll: .how much is a millimeter again (in inches), like a 1/4" inch?
ZX12eR 8)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Re: Fender washers

ZX12eR said:
Everything I've read says that fender washers work just fine and are cheap too. I heard that the factory shims cost $160. Wonder if they are open on one end so that they go on easier? Uhhh... :roll: .how much is a millimeter again (in inches), like a 1/4" inch?
ZX12eR 8)
Fender washers with big holes drilled in them perhaps. That threaded section on the adjuster bracket is about 14 or 15 mm in diameter. ( I'd have to check on this but it's BIG)

To make your own I'd say the easy way would be to get some aluminium or steel thick wall pipe with an inside diameter that's very close to the diameter of the adjuster bolt. Use a pipe cutter to just mark the cut lines space the distance apart that you wish (this ensures the spacer ends are parallel). Then hacksaw the pipe close to the scored lines and finish to the lines with a file. Make more up as you find you want them to adjust the bike. You'll need some way to hoist the rear of the bike to unload the suspension to allow you to drop the adjuster bracket bolt out of it's tab and then you can put on the shim.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Geez Bruce, now your freakin me out about the VTR.

All I did was make up a C shaped shim out of 5mm flat stock, backed off the shock nut, lifted up the back of the bike while my son slid it in and torqued it down.

It has been fine for 18000 km. Do you think there is a possiblity that the shim could work it's way out?

I wondered what that noise was when I set down a stoppie. :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
Blue9r said:
Has anybody shimmed the back of an 02 yet? If so, by how much and what were the results?
Hey guys,

Check this out, me and my buddy (Bobster33 {12R}) shimmed our bikes last weekend, I have a '00 9R but the concept and outcome will be the same......we highly recommend it for those of you who like curves.

It does, however, change the ride height substantially. so if you are under 6'.....ACHTUNG.....Tschuss Jetz! Vazz

OR>..........................
You can take the factory route...I believe I saw Cycle World say you purchase it through your local KAW Dealer for about $167+/-....Granted..it looks better than ours, but hell....$166.64 will buy alot of beer!

http://www.zx-12r.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10596

I will start a membership under 9rvazzinca for further correspondence.

Look for me there!

Vazz

PS......Have you run the Dunlop 208s yet?.....

·
Registered
217 Posts
Blue9r said:
Geez Bruce, now your freakin me out about the VTR.

All I did was make up a C shaped shim out of 5mm flat stock, backed off the shock nut, lifted up the back of the bike while my son slid it in and torqued it down.

It has been fine for 18000 km. Do you think there is a possiblity that the shim could work it's way out?

I wondered what that noise was when I set down a stoppie. :D
If it hasn't worked it way part way out by now I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. Good bit of shade tree mechanicin' that was.... :8)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Speaking of the adjustable links, who makes the adjustable ones for the 98-99.? I was going to just have some shorter ones made at a machine shop.

·
Registered
264 Posts
just noticed this on the traxxion site 2000 zx9r

The ZX-9R has fork springs that are firmer than average and quite well set from the factory. The rebound worked poorly, even when moved to one click out. The compression we set to 6 clicks out, and oddly enough, it didn’t make much difference when moved through its entire range. This fork had very low stiction, about 6mm.

The shock spring was unbelievable. The bike barely moved at all, even with a rider on board! It had almost no sag. Sam commented that the bike would literally jump up and move over when it hit bumps on the track. Clearly, this is the reason why.

I took four turns out of the preload adjuster, and that freed it up some. This spring was just too stiff to get reasonable sag. I set the compression on the shock to 1-½, and backed the rebound adjuster all of the way out. It just had too much rebound damping everywhere.

I happen to know from experience that this isn’t a bad bike. It takes a beating in the press for sure. But the problems are all in the chassis geometry. It sits like chopper. It needs the back jacked way up to get some swingarm downslope. This bike likes a little more than average, somewhere around 13 degrees or better. If you pick the back of the bike up to get the swingarm angle in the ballpark, then the trail goes away. So, I recommend you extend these forks internally 7-10mm and run them at the stock height. The stock rebound piston works just fine, but the compression piston should be replaced with a high-flow unit.

The shock damping on the ZX-9R felt pretty good in spite of the stiff spring and having the rebound all of the way out; but internally, the restrictive piston generates harshness over sharp chatter bumps. Again there is a ride height adjuster on the frame, so for the street you may scrimp. But for the track replace the stock shock.

When this bike is configured in the manner I prescribe, it is not such a tank, and the extra weight it has to drag around becomes much less noticeable. I think that if a test were performed with proper suspension and geometry fitted, the ZX-9R would be a player, not a loser.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts