Kawasaki World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the threads but I have long arms and thought risers would be enough, GenMar says they don't make them for the 12. What do we use, zzr or 14 or??

·
Registered
645 Posts
... What do we use, zzr or 14 or??
I'm sorry, but I don't understand the question.

Your options:

1. Helibars

2. LSL Superbike kit

3. Modify your stock top triple clamp to accept a set of risers and handlebars (ie. drill holes and you'll probably want to grind off the stock handlebar holders). Go with risers or bars with too much pull-back or rise though and you will run into trouble with clearing the fairing and/or cables & brake lines being too short. No doubt this is cheaper than the LSL kit, but it'll involve more trial and error and might not be a clean looking of a product when you're done. Still, the cost savings and functionality might make it a worthwhile option for you.

Personally I opted for #1, but didn't find it to be enough and sold them to another member here. I then went for option #2 and have been quite pleased with the results.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm sorry, but I don't understand the question.

Your options:

1. Helibars

2. LSL Superbike kit

3. Modify your stock top triple clamp to accept a set of risers and handlebars (ie. drill holes and you'll probably want to grind off the stock handlebar holders). Go with risers or bars with too much pull-back or rise though and you will run into trouble with clearing the fairing and/or cables & brake lines being too short. No doubt this is cheaper than the LSL kit, but it'll involve more trial and error and might not be a clean looking of a product when you're done. Still, the cost savings and functionality might make it a worthwhile option for you.

Personally I opted for #1, but didn't find it to be enough and sold them to another member here. I then went for option #2 and have been quite pleased with the results.

Guys..On fleabay I found these stainless steel risers for sale. They offer 2" 4" 6" Not sure how they work they sell for $50 Any insight to these would be great...

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Guys..On fleabay I found these stainless steel risers for sale. They offer 2" 4" 6" Not sure how they work they sell for $50 Any insight to these would be great...
Those are for bikes like the Busa where the upper triple and the bar mount are seperate pieces. The ZX12 you can't raise the triple up... nothing to clamp to the forks.

Notice how the bars are mounted on my Bandit? I have a Busa front end on it with 1 inch risers... you can see the riser/spacers between the upper triple and the bar mount.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I thought I could live with stock until yesterdays ride. I didnt get off the bike except to gas up and did about 320 miles, some of it very twisty. I also used my airhawk seat which worked beautifully, but the added height under my butt and the super twisty ride caused me way too much discomfort on my wrists. They got really sore, I can even feel it a little today.

what size are our front forks?

I also found these. http://www.speedymoto.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=CL

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Lastly there are these, which look fabulous to me and are 60 bones cheaper and IMO would be a better fit than heli bars or lsr kit which doesnt have the adjustability.

convertibars.com

It sure would be nice to have adjustable bars.
YouTube - Convertibility
How can those be a better fit then the heli bars? The heli bars may not be for everyone but use the stock mounts. The heli bars are not that much taller than stock but they do angle back towards the rider which helps.

Any of the clamp on bars that go on the forks have their own issues. Sure the convertibars are adjustable but when actually mounted that adjustability is limited due to fairing, frame and frame mount clearances. Those large lower clamps limit placment.

Then you are left with the stock mounts cast into the top clamp that look ugly and may get in the way of positioning the new bars. Keep in mind all the control cables and lines will have to be made longer is you change the height and angle too much.

·
Registered
108 Posts
How can those be a better fit then the heli bars?
Because these are adjustable to different positions. The heli bars are just a one off replacement. these adjust two different positions for different needs and also can be adjusted speciifically to match each individual rider. Some people might need more or less height or angle than the helis and these are customizable. Also, they can be changed, the heli position is permanent. They come with replacement cables as well.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Because these are adjustable to different positions. The heli bars are just a one off replacement. these adjust two different positions for different needs and also can be adjusted speciifically to match each individual rider. Some people might need more or less height or angle than the helis and these are customizable. Also, they can be changed, the heli position is permanent. They come with replacement cables as well.
I think your missing the significance of his comments about the fairing limiting all this "adjustability." Likewise with the stock bar mounts on the top triple clamp. Besides that, I don't think either of those options are really able to bring the bars back towards you except to have them rotated around at a rather extreme & uncomfortable angle. It looks to me that all they can really accomplish is to bring the bars up higher (which is better than nothing). To bring the bars back though and at a comfortable angle there needs to be some sort of offset built in I would think.

And the LSL kit DOES have adjustability, albeit not built in - you can use different bars, shim the risers, or use different risers to achieve different placement (subject to tank & fairing clearance, of course). Not as easy as just turning a screw to try different positions, naturally, but it does have some flexibility beyond that of the Helis.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think your missing the significance of his comments about the fairing limiting all this "adjustability."

And the LSL kit DOES have adjustability,
I emailed the manufacturer because they make these bike specific. So the clearance issues etc really are a non-issue because they research that before production. That said I dont see em for the zx-12, only the main big production bikes like the gsxr and the busa, bandits etc.

The LSL kit sure it has adjustability at the price of buying other bars and risers etc making their $400.00 tag even more costly. I am just trying to explore the best options for me. If these work how great would it be to adjust your bars to perfectly suit you as well as changing the position for long hauls one day and then twisty riding the next?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Oh and I am not knocking a certain brand etc, i am just looking for the most comfort I can find for my bike and maybe throw options out for others who encounter the same issues I have:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
When you said fit I thought you meant to the bike.

On paper they offer a ton of adjustability but in real life mounted to the bike that changes. Years ago I tried a set of adjustable clip ons for my 89 ZX10 when I switched to a different front end. Everything on the bike limits where you can adjust them to. Fairing, top clamp, fairing bracket and frame all get in the way. Bikes with no fairings will offer more adjustment but still have limits. At least one guy on the ZRX board as the convert bars and found a limited range of adjustment due to tank clearance.
Will you find a position that is comfortable for you? I;m sure you can find something that works but even though the 12 is a big roomy bike lots of things still limit what can be mounted and where.

The price of the LSL kit incluses new braided lines according to the site which you are not adding into when using convertibars. There is another 80 to 100 bucks there. Stock lines will fit with the heli bars but not much else.
A longer clutch cable comes with the heli bars but can also be used with other taller bars. Throttle cables may pose a challange as they are at the limit with my heli bars unless routed differently.

I'm not saying don't try them as you may love them. Just try to look at all the possible issues. I have gone though quite a few different aftermarket items over the years (wasted a lot of money) and found some work great and some suck.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have the 2nd generation Helibars. They angle back and up from the upper clamp so are higher and further back than stock, about 2 1/2 " IIRC. Made a huge difference in comfort. Got them used from a member here who switched to LSLs and he sold them to me at a good price. :thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts