Kawasaki World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres a possible day on the 12. Your heading down one of your favorite country roads.

And over the hill in front of a county mounty pops over it.

You go by him at 100mph you look in mirror and see him hit the brake light. You then look forward and twist the grip. And take the frist right and the next left and really stretch the legs on the ole girl.

You dont see the cop and you bring it down to a normal speed of 70 mph. You come to stop sign and a county mounty comes up from opposite direction with lights on.

You pull over. The frist one could he charge you with fleeing if in fact he was never behind ya with lights on. And since they have no license plate number can they really ticket you for speeding from frist county mounty?

Is it considered fleeing if they never get directly behind ya with lights on?

·
4,208 Posts
Ya need to consider this....and I have been the "victim" if you will .......If an officer percieves........that you see him and are fleeing ...then he has enough to articulate that you were running........Very Gray area......I have been stopped....and was told that the other Trooper stated I saw Him and Ran ....which is total horseshit.......The best approach ...If ya see him stop......If you don't and are stopped by another unit make sure you articulate that you ...and your buddy if there is one ....clearly that there was no disrespect intended and that you never saw him.....Now if ya turn yer helmet or make eye contact ...your done.....and believe me they can tell..........Hope it helps.... Brian

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Ditto on what Brian said, it's somewhat of a grey area. In NJ, in order to be found guilty of eluding the police, you must have first received a signal from the officer to stop, i.e., behind you with the reds on. That being said, there's nothing to stop the first officer from taking you into custody and charging you with eluding, as he will likely testify that he immediately activated the reds and still had you in view when you pulled away. It will come down to your word against his, and you will lose in all likelhood. Most cops don't do this though and will be more than satisfied with the handfull of wood you get once you did stop for the second officer. I've seen this scenario many times, the motorist typically gets many summons for several moving violations ( careless, speeding, failure to keep right, etc. and also any equipment violations that are observed once you do stop ( lack of reflective tape on the helmet comes to mind regarding riders, as well as failure to inspect as many don't). The bottom line is that the cops are going to load you up because they both know that you ran from the first officer. In the same scenario, if you immediately pulled over and stopped for the first cop that you passed, you would probably only get one summons at the most. Depends on the cop, the violation and you.

Scott W.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
I know that you are probably thinking :roll: at the idea of just pulling right over when you pass the officer, but think of it this way... in the same scenario as above, say you see the first cop and pull right over. He pulls in behind you and gives a summons for 100 in a 55 zone. You go to court and speak with the officer and prosecutor. By then, the officer will not be so upset with you, and I'll bet you can plea to a lesser charge.

If you decided to elude the first and get caught by the 2nd cop, there's a good chance of criminal charges, rather than MV complaints, loss of license and possible jail time if convicted. It's just not worth the roll of the dice IMHO.

Scott W.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have always considered eluding is if in fact the cop was able to get behind me with the blues a flashing.

Which we know thats imposible on the 12. I have never ran with the blues a flashing.

I had a State Trooper ask me what my top end was. I replyed close to 190. He said have you ever run?

My reply was, I've never seen blues flashing behind me. He seemed interested in the bike. And I then told him I don't pull over for brake lights. He replyed, He has been instructed by supervisor to not pursue/give chase sportbikes.

But he also gave me a word of caution. He said" County and City boys don't mind making a mess outta someone with there tire sticks. Designed to flaten tires. He Said" He would not even radio it in because of that fact. Seemed like a damm good person. At frist I was not very eager to devulge info about bike. But he seemed pretty open.

One more question guys. :?:

I stopped in town for gas and a local small town cop came up to me and buddy and his frist question was you guys from around here. It seemed very odd. He was on the young side and we had not done any speeding in town. The cops had stopped to get gas also.

I answered him but gave total different direction than I really lived in case I seen brake lights on the way home.

My buddy told him the truth. Caught him off guard he said.

Don't you all think a cop comming up and asking that right off the bat is kinda wierd? Does he have intentions with a question like that?

·
Registered
759 Posts
You said the cop looked young?...Maybe he is a rookie and has a bike???...Maybe he just wanted to know where some of the bike guys are from???...I wouldnt worry about a question like that!!!

As for your question that EP & BIG answered, I will add this...As you come over the hill and see the Police, you can gamble and take the chance of losing!!!...Or you can pull over and deal with it... It's hard to answer the WHAT IF questions that you ask us, because every cop has a different out look on things and it can change at any moment depending on the time of occurence...I can say that I have never bothered to chase speeding motorcycles!!!

CrotchRocket

·
Registered
179 Posts
....some sportbikers need to NOT BE so paranoid about a cop asking questions like that...like Crotchrocket said, maybe the young-looking cop is a fellow sportbiker, too...I remember the look and surprise on a 'Busa rider's face one day when I stopped and chatted with him about his bike...yeah, I was working...yeah, he looked nervouse and unsure of my intentions...I just wanted to check out his bike (like we all do no matter what kind of work we do)...then he asked me if I rode...I told him I did...then he asked me what kind of bike I rode...when I told him with a shit-eatin' grin, "A 12R bay-beee!!!", he had a very surprised look and disbelief in his voice when he said, "I didn't think you guys rode bikes like these."...I told him, "What do you mean 'You guys'?", and told him that I'd give him a warning this time for riding a butt-ugly bike like his in public...we had a good laugh, but I enjoyed it more, of course...and I'm far from looking like a rookie, too... Bahahahahaha!!!!

...I especially like it when I'm investigating something sportbike related and the rider tries to scam me about where they ride, what they ride, what's stock on a bike, what they DON'T DO with their bikes, etc. ....yeah, right...of course, I don't tell them what I already know about sportbiking and motorcycling in general, so whatever they tell me is looked at with suspicion or a grain of salt...just like when you catch your child lyin', ya' know? ...I just leave 'em and tell 'em to be careful...

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Ditto on what they said regarding the question as to if you were from around those parts. I stop once in a while and chat with riders when I see them stopped on the side of the road, for no other reason than to talk with folks that have the same interest as me. Whenever I first pull to them, I get the :shock: look. After they learn that ride as well, we usually have a good conversation about the bikes/ favorite riding locations, etc. Nothing related to police work at all.

Scott W.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Outsider I did'nt get caught. But this has happened in the past. To people I know. I would never run.

And as soon as I top the hill that he was comming from. I never see em again.

I agree with what was said before. You can get over your head pretty quick. I have after pushing a little too hard almost crashed the beast. Its a fine line and getting caught can screw your life up. Work, Lost time from work, Home Life, Wife would get pretty pissed, And your favorite past time of riding the best damm sportbike ever built.

Its a fine line on a ZX12, And the only cops who would understand that would be rider's of one.

Thanks guys, I hope they never put blue lights on a ZX12R

G

·
0 Posts
Running is futile !

Carefull if ever in AZ. Most Troopers hear ride BMW's with Forward, Aft, and handheld Radar. They get you coming, going, and sideways. They will chase you. As a member of the Sheriff's Office I have seen many bikes persued here. Not too many have gotten away. Something all runners forget, you can not outrun a radio. I myself have done my share of "disappearing acts" after seeing taillights. It was in my youth and never if they had hit the overheads. I always suggest against "running". However, a few quick lefts and rights are only a detour if the officer has not activated his lights yet. Ride safe and keep the highend speed down in town. I have found that stopping as quickly as possible when caught goes a long way toward quelling the Officer's temper. On my current bike (ZZR1200) I would slow down and maintain my current course if I see brake lights. I would prefer to tke my chances with the Officer ( he may only give you a warning depending on speed and surrounding traffic / conditions ) than with my license or life. FYI, if asked, never offer your speed if asked "do you know how fast you were going". Just my opinion.

For what it is worth,
Crazi in AZ

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Well, good advice overall...

I ride a Hardley Gonna Make-It-Son at my department with only a front and rear Ka Band radar....I absolutely hate it (the bike). A complete and utter pig - really. After a day of riding the paperweight, I always seem to wheelie leaving work...can't figure out why...... :lol:

Good distance on the radar, but the Hardley Gonna Make It Son tops out at 140 km/h (dog slow) and can't catch anything (except a weekly visit to the shop)...besides, we don't persue motorcycles here if they run...

I've seen 5 fatals that almost swore me off of riding....all due to excessive speed / lack of experience. I'm sure we all have some of those stories....

Later,

Chris

·
Registered
645 Posts
I don't run. Anymore. It isn't worth it. I have had my youthful days and had a close call. I wasnt even being chased but thought I was... along with the 10 or so other bikes we were with.

Coming over a hill and there is John Law coming towards us... and we are all sparking along at about 160k on a 60k (almost deserted industrial park). We say the brake lights... and then the overheads came on just as he was going around the corner.

I guess we all hit the gas... a split second later my brain kicked in and said... "Just WTF do you think you are doing"... I slowed and went to pull over to the right into a parking lot when I was missed by about 6 inches from one of my fellow riders who decided to pass me on the right. He was going about 100mph.

After I had gotten off my bike... and cleaned my shorts... I realized the cop hadnt even turned around and I was almost killed for nothing. He was trying to scare us... and damn it worked for me.

·
Registered
561 Posts
They may be slow, but they more than make up for that in their ability to
manuver around tight spaces. Melissa and I watched a day at the Police Rodeo down in " West End " one weekend and saw some fine motorcycle work by Harleys, KZ1000's, and the BMW's... man talk about scraping pegs..!!! I wish I had taken pixs! :shock:

maybe next year

Steve

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Running is nothing more than a blantant disregard of authority. And..... we all know how that turned out for Cool Hand Luke.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts