Kawasaki World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen mention made of the Safetech Carbon tank. Does anybody have the details: How big, how much does it cost, does it fit well, will it fit the '02, and where I can get one from?

I am in the throws of deciding between the ZZR1200, the ZX12R, a ZX9R (not as comfortable), CBR11XX (would prefer the ZZR to this) or (very unlikely) a used K12RS. I have to do most of my miles commuting or touring on the occasional long weekend, and so some luggage capacity, reasonable wind protection / riding position, and fuel range are kind of high on my priority list.
My commute is 125 miles each way for 2 - 3 days of the week, some twisty backroads, a lot of freeway, and I would _hate_ to have to fill up more than once each way: the Concours comfortably does the round trip on one tank.
I think I have answers for the luggage (Givi / Five Star rack and tankbag), wind protection (ZG Sport Touring when available), riding position (LSL or Heli), but tank range remains an issue.
The other question is whether the ZX has sufficient electric output to run a full Gerbings suit and gloves (about 180w). I commute from central NH 8 - 9 months of the year, which means dealing regularly with temps below freezing for 2 - 3 hours at a time.

The ZZR seems like it will do it all, but I have concerns that Kaw isn't selling a bunch of them, and that there is more support for the ZX12R. Also I have been hankering after something relatively sporty for a while (probably swapping my R11GS, and tehe Concours will stay in the stable as a general heavy-duty tourer / hack bike).

And yes, I know a ZX6 is probably as much bike as I need on the street
;->

Haven't even ridden any of these except for the K12RS, so would also appreciate some input either way as to whether I am crazy to go this route.
Adittionally, how much more aggressive is the position on the '02 versus the 00 - 01? Which is the better trade-off?

·
Registered
306 Posts
You seem to have it all worked out with the exception of the tank, I say go for it you won't be sorry, although the range on the stock tank does suck!

Safetech from my understanding is no longer an available option, although their may be an alternative coming. check out his thread over on bikeland.
http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?FID=1&TID=4385&set_time=

You won't be sorry with a 12R, or from what I'm hearing the ZZR either.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Honestly, sounds to me like the ZZR12 is the bike for you.

I assume you know the ZZR is a bored zx11, not the zx12 motor. Not saying thats a "bad" thing.

Some pro's to the ZZR in my mind are the valves are much easier to adjust (cam followers vs. straight lobe on bucket), the motor is ultra low maintenance, and well proven to 100K +.

Some cons to the ZZR: heavier, thats about all as I haven't ridden one.

I do think they are one of the better looking bikes out there though. They are really the next progression of the ZX11, of which I owned one, and loved very much.

If you are looking more towards long distance riding and/or commuting rather than flat out ass-hauling and canyon riding, the ZZR may be the better choice. Certainly better than a BlackBird, which are pretty disappointing performance-wise in my book....

Just my .02 worth

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Getting very mixed replies on the XX versus the ZZR: supposedly the ZZR needs to be doing at least 4.5K rpm before it really kicks in.
I already have a Concours that I have to kick down 2 - 3 gears to get decent overtaking drive, and am kind of tired of that.

Most reviews put the ZZR as slightly more relaxed & protective than the XX, but the XX as more sophisticated and much smoother. Plus the XX has a good aftermarket going for it, is bullet proof and has excellent fit and finish. The latter is significant as I get to ride on salted roads quite often.

What I am really after is a sportbike that is practical for some daily usage on backroads and freeways.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I have the same comment as G... Maybe a Wang? If you have to have the "sport" type bike the ZZR sounds like it would be good for you.

JMO

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
sleepr: can you cut and paste the Carbon Fiber tank information into this thread. Many people do not have access to Bikeland.

thanks,

Easyrider

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
From bikeland

I just spoke to the prez of fuel cel http://www.eti-fuelcel.com/ and he's willing to do a one-off for me. The price is about the same as a safetech tank. Honestly, I don't think there would be a big enough group to even think about a discount, so I'm not going to try to organize one. What I would suggest, is if anyone is interested, give him a call. I'll be sending the tank down this week, so he'll have it and will be starting on the cf tank. These guys are definately the leading company producing aftermarket tanks, and I don't see any chance of the SAFETECH EXPERIENCE repeating itself.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
It would be interesting to find out the weight and extra fuel space for that tank.

This is very cool.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hey Easy the thread is 2 pages long do you want me to grab it all?

·
Registered
306 Posts
ah here is most of the pertinent stuff, all posted by Swft over on bikeland.

hope I don't get my balls chopped off!

"Regarding carbon fiber tanks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just spoke to the prez of fuel cel http://www.eti-fuelcel.com/ and he's willing to do a one-off for me. The price is about the same as a safetech tank. Honestly, I don't think there would be a big enough group to even think about a discount, so I'm not going to try to organize one. What I would suggest, is if anyone is interested, give him a call. I'll be sending the tank down this week, so he'll have it and will be starting on the cf tank. These guys are definately the leading company producing aftermarket tanks, and I don't see any chance of the SAFETECH EXPERIENCE repeating itself.

Sent off the tank today, 3 day UPS. Had a discussion with them, I guess a few of you guys out there have been giving him a call about a composite tank? I was able to answer a few questions for him, and told him that extra capacity would be great, as long as the fit was not altered for the bodywork, etc. We shall see...

Hey, no bad...I know what the price is, but I want to demonstrate as much interest as possible to Erospace with regard to the tank. (Why do I feel that I really mangled this sentence??) So I figure the more interest demonstrated, the more chances are he'll be interested in pursuing some options, such as added capacity.
Hey, great news! Due to all the interest expressed in the tank, John is going to go ahead and make a regular set of molds. He's pretty confident he can get an extra gallon and still retain a good fit to the bodywork. The price should be quite a bit lower as well, but I'll let him tell anyone who's interested what it will cost. He'll be starting on it next week. I'm seriously considering the dry break filler option, but I need to locate one first. "

Sorry this is not all complete, but I tried to grab the pertinent stuff!

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
If the price is good an extra gallon would be nice. I could use that for sure.
The weight savings is even better.

What is a dry break filler?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Dry break is, what they use in Daytona and endurance racing for fueling. If I recall correctly swft races his 12 in endurance.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'm thinking the price will be somewhere around $1000.00 +/- 200.00 USD. I'm just guessing though. If I remember correctly the Safetech tank was about that price.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They are asking $1160 for the HayBus cell, if that is any indication.

I am taking the R11GS in for a potential trade against the ZX on Monday. They (Greater Boston Motorsports) are both Kaw and BMW dealers, and were talking a prettty good trade on it over the phone, but once I get it in I suspect they will start talking it down ('you have HOW MANY miles it???').

·
Registered
53 Posts
I emailed and spoke to the company that is doing these. The price I heard was right at $1000. They don't take credit cards, though. My hope is that enough interest is expressed that some reseller does a group buy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts