Kawasaki World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:angry: Hey folks,

I am having difficulty diagnosing a problem with 2nd gear. I can put it into 2nd, and 50% of the time I get synchronization but it may not stay synched. Seems to pop out of gear and engine revs if I'm pulling on the gas. Down shifting through 2nd is no problem, only on acceleration. It will be intermittent. It sucks for a smooth ride or shifting up. I am skipping 2nd for the most part to not lurch or look like a NUBE.

I have read here that 1st and 2nd are a weak link on this bike. Comments, suggestions, Help :puzzled::puzzled::puzzled:

I ride a 92 zx11c

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
you likely have rounded engagement dogs on the drive side while the braking side would still be ok.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
:angry: Hey folks,

I am having difficulty diagnosing a problem with 2nd gear. I can put it into 2nd, and 50% of the time I get synchronization but it may not stay synched. Seems to pop out of gear and engine revs if I'm pulling on the gas. Down shifting through 2nd is no problem, only on acceleration. It will be intermittent. It sucks for a smooth ride or shifting up. I am skipping 2nd for the most part to not lurch or look like a NUBE.

I have read here that 1st and 2nd are a weak link on this bike. Comments, suggestions, Help :puzzled::puzzled::puzzled:

I ride a 92 zx11c
I bought a brand new 1991 zx11 c .The 2nd gear went out 3 fucking times.800 ,12000 and 24000 miles.Got it warranty all 3 times.3 years old the third time .I had no warranty either.They had 50 percent failure rates on 90,91,92.Doggy engagements were`nt deep enough.Your gonna have to yank the engine off and turn upside down to split the case`s........Have fun.lots o work.Send your tranny to Mark @ r&d motorsports in Florida.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Yes rounded off engagement dogs and or bent shift forks. I would replace 2nd I think its 5th gear it engages with, and replace the shift drum and forks if worn. With a bike that old they are all probably worn. Its a pain in the ass and not real cheap, but fix it once and fix it correctly..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts