Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found some shavings in my oil pan after i went on a ride and my 2002 zx12r started knocking ...then lost power and shut off..... i let it cool down and started it up and it still was knocking so i dropped the oil pan and seen a piece that might have been like a shimin the oil pan but it was to beat up to tell... and lots of small shavings.... any ideas of what it was and where i should start ?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I found some shavings in my oil pan after i went on a ride and my 2002 zx12r started knocking ...then lost power and shut off..... i let it cool down and started it up and it still was knocking so i dropped the oil pan and seen a piece that might have been like a shimin the oil pan but it was to beat up to tell... and lots of small shavings.... any ideas of what it was and where i should start ?
looks like a bearing,time to tear it down

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
any ideas of what bearings and do you think its in the lower end ? And the piece i found looked like if it was whole it would of been around 5/8 size shim maybe or around that size maybe smaller..... some of the shavings are a brass color...

·
Registered
394 Posts
well kawis like to take out number 3 rod bearing since you have the pan off put a wrench on the end of crank and rock it back and froth and see if rods 2 and 3 move with out play should be abele to see from underneath

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I think my #3 wrist pin killed my engine with 59000 miles.

·
Registered
627 Posts
It could happend beacuse of low oil level or bad quality oil.
Wheelie is not only cause of crankshaft bearing failure.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
This is what happens when non-motorcycle specific oil is used.

:hide:
no, its when not enough oil is used. i ran Shell rotella t in my turbo bike last season drag racing, and i can tell you i put more stress on parts than a street bike.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
This is what happens when non-motorcycle specific oil is used.

:hide:
57000 of the 59000 miles on my blown engine had MOBIL 1 20-50 car oil in it.It never used any oil or smoked between 2000 mile changes with a filter till it decided to drain all of it out on the hyway..........The mean old fucker..

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
...it cool down and started it up and it still was knocking... and lots of small shavings.... any ideas of what it was and where i should start ?
What it was... Was insert material. First a soft aluminum layer so if a chunk enters, it collapses or crushes into the aluminum first and then is pushed out by the pressure. 2nd layer is a copper layer. So if you see copper in color, that more or less tore up the crank journal.

Where to start... Start at the the bottom end. A knock is the crank's big end without a close tolerance insert is now too wide and knocks when it comes around, fires and you hear this knocking sound.

Small end rod noise would sound knockish, but seeing the insert material, a pronounced knock = Crank failure at the big end of the rod. With the pan off, a long screwdriver, push/pull every big end of the rod fore and aft so you can tell who failed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dont wheelie it . . . it might of been from low oil..i have the motor out now .. so im going to try all your ideas and see what i come up with..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well kawis like to take out number 3 rod bearing since you have the pan off put a wrench on the end of crank and rock it back and froth and see if rods 2 and 3 move with out play should be abele to see from underneath
I did what you said and i see theres a little play on piston 2 rod..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so i have it all a rat.. it turns out it was the number 2 rod bearing .. i have the whole thing a part now .. so im just going to go threw it all and make sure nothing got screwed up in the processes of those shavings bouncing around in there.. Thank you all

1 - 20 of 22 Posts