Kawasaki World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Jus joined the wonderful site. Want your opinions over the shifting problems that i feel on my 2014 ZX 14. I brought it in January this year and from day one the problem is when i shift in from neutral to first, it makes a loud cranking noise. Now, I am familiar the typical clunk that is associated, but with my bike it is if you press on the gear shifter slowly, it will go a loud KRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR... before finally shifting with that thud sound.

It more feels like clutch drag. The mechanics out here are such duds at the Kawasaki dealership out here. They have been giving all sorts of lame excuses, but have been unable to even agree that there is in fact a problem with the bike. they rather believe its in my head. Initially they had said the thing would settle after a few hundred kms, but it just didnt, now me having done near to 7000 kms already.

Also, the shifting in all gears is inconsistent. Sometimes the gears shift so smoothly, without an iota of noise, at other times shifting in or out becomes a noisy affair and also the gears feel to be getting stuck.

Another thing is that the bike is not smooth, in fact feels quite rough at low rpms and speeds, like while navigating at a traffic signal. The gears also feel more stuck. It is only after the bike crosses the 3.5 rpm mark that things become utterly butterly smooth. Also the cam chain sound is clearly audible at low speeds.

What to do guys??? I am pretty much confused and infuriated. I live in Oman, and there is no sound advice or remedy available here. Plz Help

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
We have two 14R's that are smooth as silk.

As for the "clunk" when you shift into first, as you mentioned, that is pretty normal. There is no reason to "slowly" press the shifter lever. That will definitely lead to all kinds of crunchy sounds.

As for the clutch: if there is a question of it dragging, the fluid should be bled. Air in the hydraulic system can lead to inconsistent operation.

What was the last bike you had?

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Stomp it into first. Don't do it slowly. You will drag the teeth and damage it. The clunk with a good, firm positive shift is normal. If it's crazy and feels like it's going to shoot out from under ya, you have an issue, but if it just has the normal "clunk" when stomped into first, most all bikes do that to some degree...

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Its a ridiculousel powerful machine, built to cope with that.

I think sounds normal, especially since u say above 3.5 its buttery, if there was an issue it would probably get worse at higher rpm where there is more torque and power being generated...

These bikes like a firm hand. Not overly aggresive but firm.

And yeah every bike ive had will do the ticking if u try and slowly put it into first.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Kawasaki knows it`s fucked up.They knew on the test mules but never re engineered to fix it.Change the fluid every 2 months.That will help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,

Jus joined the wonderful site. Want your opinions over the shifting problems that i feel on my 2014 ZX 14. I brought it in January this year and from day one the problem is when i shift in from neutral to first, it makes a loud cranking noise. Now, I am familiar the typical clunk that is associated, but with my bike it is if you press on the gear shifter slowly, it will go a loud KRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR... before finally shifting with that thud sound.

It more feels like clutch drag. The mechanics out here are such duds at the Kawasaki dealership out here. They have been giving all sorts of lame excuses, but have been unable to even agree that there is in fact a problem with the bike. they rather believe its in my head. Initially they had said the thing would settle after a few hundred kms, but it just didnt, now me having done near to 7000 kms already.

Also, the shifting in all gears is inconsistent. Sometimes the gears shift so smoothly, without an iota of noise, at other times shifting in or out becomes a noisy affair and also the gears feel to be getting stuck.

Another thing is that the bike is not smooth, in fact feels quite rough at low rpms and speeds, like while navigating at a traffic signal. The gears also feel more stuck. It is only after the bike crosses the 3.5 rpm mark that things become utterly butterly smooth. Also the cam chain sound is clearly audible at low speeds.

What to do guys??? I am pretty much confused and infuriated. I live in Oman, and there is no sound advice or remedy available here. Plz Help
Iam having this same issue in my 2015 zx14r. What did you do to resolve this issue in your bike?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts