Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering getting a 2000 ZX-9R. The bike has 5k mi., looks in good condition and he is asking 6K. Is that a fair price? Should I get a newer bike (the 02 has a lot of improvements). I'm also thinking about the ZX-12R! Currently I have a ZRX-1100 which I really like and probably keep. I will sell the Roadstar (never ride it any more). The ZRX is really comfortable and my only concern with the ZX-9 or 12 is that I can't do 10h days any more. What are your ideas on this?

Thanks,

Tommy

</p>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next month, the specs on the 2003 ZX-9r will be out. I hope it is not a roll over from 2002. I have a 2000 zx-9r with 2,500 miles and just love it. Once I put the Muzzy full exhaust and jet kit in, it hangs with every R1 and GSXR1000 I can find. Best of luck...

Chris

</p>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tommy;

What is your email address? I have a buddy who is selling his 2000 ZX-12 for a decent price if you're still thinking about a 12...

</p>

·
Registered
166 Posts
Once I put the Muzzy full exhaust and jet kit in, it hangs with every R1 and GSXR1000 I can find.

i dont know what gsx-r 1000 you have been running but i have a 2k gixxer 750 and i have not ran a zx-9 that i cant beat. one of my buddies has the same mods you mentioned and i beat him on roll on's all day long and i murder him from a dead stop. so i know there is not way you can ever hang with a gsx-r 1k. not trying to get down on you bro just telling the truth.....

</p>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dawgtuff,

I ride with quite a few guys in N. VA. and they can confirm it. Straight line: I have raced 3 stock R1s from a dead stop and they couldn't catch me. I had the hole shot on them each time and they never caught up threw 3rd gear redline and one 4th gear redline run.

The stock GSXR1000 hit some twisties with me and when we stopped he admitted that even on the straights he couldn't make up ground. I realize riding ability is a huge part of it. He pulled a good bit on me when my bike was stock.

I get in dyno'd on Saturday. My guess is that I make RWHP numbers close to a stock GSXR1000. My tuner is very well known for tweaking ZX9 in the area. More to follow...

Chris

</p>

·
Registered
166 Posts
mica,

well you are right the rider has allot to do with it because there is a guy in my group with a stock zx-6 who beats up on us all the time. i was not talking about the r-1's i was only referring to the gsx-r 1k. if you are talking about twisties that’s different than a straight up roll-on or a drag race. i only say this because my gixxer 750 has 135hp to the rear wheel ( dynoed ). i ran a stock 1000 and i did not hang with him at all roll-on or drag. i think the zx-9 is a great bike but it is just to heavy and under powered and no match for the 750 or the 1k. i heard in 2003 the zx-9 will be awesome. i have a friend who is making 150 on his zx-9 but he has allot of motor work. . keep me posted because i would like to see what kind of #'s your bike's making.

</p>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mica

The zx9r is a fantastic allround bike.If you want to do lots of hours in the saddle you're better off on a 9 than an r1 or gsxr.

I had a 98 with a slip on and a k&n .Be wary of a 9 with a dynojet kit in it,I had the the emulsion tubes "file" out because of the dj needles and I was up for a new set of carbs!!

Good luck!

If you're not breakin' the law you're not riding!!

</p>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well in regards to your question about it being a good deal. I dont think its that hot of a price. I bought my 2001 for 7500 from the dealer after the 2002 came out. It hadent even had fluids in it yet. If you could get the price down to 5000 or maybe 5500 I think you will be happy. Its not a bad price..... but how many wheelies and how hard was it ridin? Its nice to break in your own bike.

Good luck man. The nine is a great bike all round.

</p>

·
Registered
14 Posts
The zx9r is a great choice. I put mine on a diet with dymag wheels, fox suspension and EBC race brakes, and a Muzzy full Ti system with Ivans jet kit. yes it is strong and will kick the R1 in pants given the opportunity. However, a well ridden GSXR750 can smack you.

A poorly ridden GSXR1000 will burn you down. don't mess with those things!

</p>

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'd have to say that this would be a tough call if you've already got a Zeerex. I use my 9 more as a sport touring bike so I can attest to the long distance riding being quite comfy FOR A SPORTBIKE. Please note those capitals. I love my 9 but I still like to take a 2 or 3 minute stop every 40 to 45 minutes.

And this is with a "Corbinized" saddle that really helps keep the ol' tush happier than the stock shape.

Once you're up to 65 or 70 mph then the wind takes a LOT of load off your arms so it's actually a very nice long distance ride........ except for my 34 inch inseam..........

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
I rode a 9 for the last three years...and was happy until I rode a 12R...

Bought one the next day. Put my best friend, who always rode his 9
with me, on my new 12, he bought one the next day...

No comparison, and I'm not trying to piss off anyone or put their
bike down...but the 2002 12 turns every bit as good as my '98
Zx-9 did, but the power diff is just nuts... Stock motor, just a pipe
and a 17t sprocket and I ran a 9.27 @151mph.

But the best thing about the 12 is that there is more room on the
bike. I'm only 5'10" but I felt cramped up on the 9 where I can stretch
out more on the 12...

All I can say is ride both before you buy, and figure out which one fits you
best.

Jere

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got one

I found a 2000 ZX-9 on Cycletrader last night. Bought it today, will pick it up on Friday. I'll be riding it back from Denver to LA. Anybody has any good ideas for the route to take? I would like some nice CO twisties. What about the weather, will it be okay in the mountains at this time of the year?

The bike has a jet kit (don't know which) and a Two Brothers full exhaust. So, what's next on the mod list? What do I have to watch out for with this bike? Any known problems?

Thanks for the info,
Tom

·
Registered
150 Posts
"What do I have to watch out for with this bike? "
Yeah! Snow in the CO mts! They just got 2 feet there :shock: . Check the weather. Truck+Canyon Dancer? CO can be great in January, or treacherous in October. "If you don't like the weather in CO, wait 10 minutes, it'll change" Best of luck with your new ride.
ZX12eR

·
Registered
329 Posts
Great bike! I love my '01.I'd recommend you find out which carb kit it has. Pray it's Ivans.Things to look for? Yea, the wrong guy working on it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Oops,I forgot.I have personally heard of two fuel pump relays fail.Other than that,I'm not aware of any problems (other than abuse).

·
Registered
117 Posts
CO in the winter

Tommy,

I live in colorado. Its one of the sweetest places to ride in the late summer/fall, but now the mountain roads are full of gravel. Your best bet would be to check weather reports often, especially right before you leave. I70 through the mountains is pretty good for an interstate. I usually take Highway 40 but there may be too much gravel/snow this time of year. I80 through wyoming actually might be your best bet.

Compairing the 02 9R to the 01 R1, I think the 9r stacks up very well. It is a lot more comfortable, and way better wind protection. I even had a double-bouble on the R1. The power difference stock is negligible. What makes the difference was how the bike was broken in. I stuck to the manufactured recommendation for my R1 (keeping it under 4K rpms for first 600 I think).

I broke in my 9R by riding it hard, especially early on. My 9R feels stronger, and there are numerous reports to back this up. Check this web site out: www.mototuneusa.com

Good luck with the ride dude. Message me if you want more info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: CO in the winter

Kinobi said:
I live in colorado. Its one of the sweetest places to ride in the late summer/fall, but now the mountain roads are full of gravel. Your best bet would be to check weather reports often, especially right before you leave. I70 through the mountains is pretty good for an interstate. I usually take Highway 40 but there may be too much gravel/snow this time of year. I80 through wyoming actually might be your best bet.
Wow, I'm kinda concerned now. Well, I have to pick up the bike one way or the other, so I guess I'm stuck. Bummer. I would hate to mess up my new toy! I was hoping to get some nice scenic riding in but with those weather conditions I think I might just be glad to make it home.
My current plan is to take 70 into Utah and drop down into Bryce canyon and through Zion to I-15 and home from there. The road conditions as of now said dry for most of I-70, hope it stays like that.

Thanks,
Tommy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Dawg, I have ridden the 2002 GSXR 750. It is not even close to my 2001 ZX9R. The thing handled quickly, but the power was not there. Mine handles just as quick now with 208ZR's and a 180 on the rear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got the ZX-9R

Well, I picked up my new toy last Friday in Denver. I was planning on riding back I-70. The DOT said ice, packed snow, mush. So I decided to take I-25 south. I made it into north-eastern New Mexico on the first day and figured I might as well take the scenic 64 across the Rockies. Big mistake. Check out the iceskating I did not my new bike:

http://photos.msn.com/viewing/album.aspx?m7A!X9U3q6bynoZEhFj0U3ENO7jgTJi0*gIixyRCjPG4JpVrhogVOg3eyZHEfm5NMux4orXBGihEApBQSjMXRpFv*6QvSvyr!5nUWrKyIJV1jAMcWQJYww$$

Besides freezing my butt off I had a blast riding the bike from Denver to LA. It is sooooo easy to go too fast on this bike. More often than not I checked my speedo and couldn't believe I was doing 110! Wow.

Now here my comparison with my ZRX:

ZRX is more comfortable at lower speeds, ZX is better at 80+.
ZRX pulls off idle, no problem. The ZX stalled on me several times when I tried to get going. I almost dropped it! I have to rev it to at least 3-4000 and then it still bogs down and it takes a while to pick up. Is that normal? Am I spoiled from my ZRX?

Pulls really strong when I get on it (But I guess you all know that).
The handling is ten times better than the ZRX, no winding and fishtailing. Perfect response to every steering input, planted!

So, what is the opinion on mods?

I was thinking:
- Undertail tray (which one do you recommend?)
- Turn signals
- Jet kit
- Tinted wind screen (any suggestions?)
- Tail lift kit (any experiences?)

That should be it for now.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Tommy,

Damn dude I'm glad you made it back ok! Good thinking to go south man, ;).

I test rode the zrx a year ago, and yeah man, it has a lot more low end torque. You'll get used to the 9's takeoffs, its always different from bike to bike just because of the clutch.

Did you notice any difference in power from up here in CO (5K feet) to CA? I noticed a big difference from 5K - 2K feet.

For screens, get a double bouble, zero gravity is supposed to be good, haven't got mine yet though. A corbin seat will help for comfort a bunch.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts