Kawasaki World banner

21 - 40 of 119 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,256 Posts
I like this idea of having two maps to be able to change on the go. As you say, less to go wrong with add-ons.
Yes, that's my aim too, which is why I bought the Woolich set up.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Well done, and just for interest,

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The work Im doing is just putting together the work of others (testing it) and paying them for services. the real magicians are the computer programmers. once they do their thing i can use the programs to do the tuning and turn theory into reality. I have a very promising additional fuel table i need to verify works this wknd ;)

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Easiest cat removal to date. All one chunk. I think my welds are slightly nicer than what mass production makes.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
the subframe came today, poorly packaged and busting out of the box, but miraculously unharmed. got that cleaned up and swapped into the bike. changed the burned up rear brake line out for an oem. mounted the oem tail light that came with the bike and found a spare harness and bulbs from my collection of junk/treasure. i then had to fix the front brake switch as it was not working from sitting for so long. a nice little trick to make contacts like that work again is to just squirt a little penetrating oil into it and work the switch a few times. its a lot easier than taking the switch apart to clean the contacts manually. Im still waiting for a master link to show up to put the chain on, but its getting closer to being mobile. im going to dyno it just to double check that the motor doesnt need rebuilt. if it only makes as much power as a hayabusa then theres something terribly wrong and it will need to come apart.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Masterlink for the chain finally showed up, so I got that on tonight and the oem chain guard that came with the bike. it had one of the huggers with the guard built in i assume as thats what the melted bits appeared to be.

Ive struggled to get an aftermarket fiberglass body kit to fit and have given up trying to make it look nice. it can get cut up for a race bike someday (thats what it was originally bought for anyway). So ive rolled the dice on abs injection moulded fairings on ebay. Ive seen a set look decent on a bike Hibs worked on, so hoping I have good luck too. I went with matte black as they look like a dark silver or charcoal in the pics. I hope they actually show up that way and not black!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Matt black looks grey-ish under bright lights...good luck though they look great in the pics

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Who did you get the fairing kit from Scott?

I've been trying to justify getting a set for my 12, or just repainting the oem set. Would like to have a second set though.

Don.

·
Super Moderator
4,312 Posts
I have a set of Chinese aftermarket plastics on my bike, and they look great. I can almost guarantee they will need some touch-up here and there - mostly on the edges/corners because they package them before the paint is fully cured... but the touch up work is well worth the $$$ savings. Also, the vendor I used didn't spray the inside of the plastics - which was an issue for me since there are so many places where the inside is visible - So I ordered some matching paint and sprayed the insides too.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I got a set of Chinese plastics for Tims bike years ago, fit well and still look good. They are thinner and like Connman said need some detail work done, but very cost effective compared to OEM.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Thanks Scott, I had seen somewhere a company in California, I think, that claims their kits are virtually exact copies of oem, and not requiring any further drilling or alterations for fitting, just can't find them again online!

Connman & Texlurch, looks like that is the likely outcome with most of these kits - a bit of persuasion to make them fit.

Don.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
nothing much to report other than the fairings were painted last week and have shipped as of yesterday. expected delivery date range hasnt changed. I would have run the bike on the dyno at work, but been busy building a drag bike for my dad. hes supposed to come for a visit with hopes of taking it home with him completed after a week or 2. i may have to start a thread for that bike soon.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Plastics showed up today and unfortunately they are actually matte black not charcoal like I was hoping lol.
I've only pulled out the tail so far but it looks good. Threaded holes for the key latch, has the little nubs at the front that push into the rubbers. Appears to be well made but i haven't tried fitting it. Hopefilly I'm happy with the rest. If there are paint flaws I may paint it charcoal like I was hoping to get.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
so a bit of a disappointment, the side panels are 02+ with the extra vents and the fender is the smaller 02+ style as well. Im going to contact them to see if they sent the wrong parts, or if they just do one set of body work with interchangeable uppers. the upper is correct for the 00-01 headlights.

also while not a deal breaker, the inner panels are just shiny black plastic, as are the ram air covers and air scoop. i kinda like the scoop and ram air covers black, but the inners not matching the matte black bugs me.(more reasons to paint it all charcoal) i had the tank cover and tail mounted before i had the sides pulled out and unwrapped. i wont fit the sides until i hear back about them. im likely stuck with them, but as a bonus, the sides have a foam/foil heat shield installed, and i may add a little bit extra around the exhaust. the tank cover fit nicely, i just had to open up 2 holes for the wellnuts on the front of the ashtray. the rest fit nicely. the tail fits nicely too, although im currently missing the rubber grommets, the holes appear to be lined up for the bolts. vastly superior to fitting the ebay fiberglass body work i tried earlier.

a dark tint small double bubble windscreen (a bit higher than oem but not as tall as a lot of DBs) was included and looks pretty decent.

21 - 40 of 119 Posts