Kawasaki World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?: I've heard that the header on the ZX9R is actually pretty well designed. If that's true, I was wondering how a slip-on only (Akro prob. but not decided) would do compared to stock and to a full system. :) What about weight too. Any advice on this appreciated. I have a Muzzy on the 12 but am thinking about going with an Akro on the 9).
Also has anyone gotten much of a result with the stock can and tuning? :roll:
Thanks! 8)
ZX12eR

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have Ivan's jet kit and stock pipe. It beefed up the mid range and helps with the on/off transistion.

Info from his web site suggests that mid range will be better with a slip on vs full system. Apparently a full system will only make a difference of a few ponys at the top, so for me it's a no brainer.

BTW, I tried to buy the Akro slip on but the dealer was sent the wrong pipe 3 times in a row. I am going to wait 'til spring now.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have A Akropovic full system and it's great I was running the stock header with a LEoVInce bolt on and when I switched I immediatly noticed the difference. I am running the Ivans jet kit as well it works with stock or full system. The stock head is ok but is HEAVY. Akro is bigger diameter and has crossover tubes, in short it kicks major ass, and is probably the best pipe on the market. If I had to do it again I would have gotten Titanium instead of carbon because the finish is not all that great on the carbon, but I have A yosh carbon on my 1000 and there is nothing close to the quality of yosh carbon.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got Torque?

Thanks myninja! How's the low-mid torque on the Akra full sys??
Thanks!!
ZX12eR

·
Registered
263 Posts
low end torque and mid range is very good with the akro but I highly recomend the Ivans jet kit it improved it even more, its not quite as strong down low as my gixxer but its getting close plus its down some 89cc's. The advancer helps give bottom end and response as well. I also went up 3 teeth in the back I would have probably only went 1 or 2 if I had to do it again, 3teeth is kind of over kill unless your just really into wheelies, and who is'nt >supposedley (dyno charts that came with the jet kit)THe Ivans and aakropovic combos is good for 142 hp alone! And I believe it, My bike screams! I am trying to get my buddy to take my gixxer and give me a roll on against my 9, but the gixxer isn't stock anymore so I think it would probably pull pretty good on my 9

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've also heard the same thing about the 9R header(a mechanic at a local race shop told me this), so I went ahead and got a slip-on and factory 1.7 jet kit. Before I put the slip-on on, I put 1 shim under the needles, and adjusted the A/F screws out 2 1/4. I dynoed it the next day and got 130.7 h.p. About a month later, I threw the D+D s/o on without the jet kit, and took it back to the dyno and it got 140.8 h.p. I was surprised. My bike runs even better after the jet kit. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
THats the most HP that I ahve ever heard of someone getting from a jet Kit, WOW!

·
Registered
14 Posts
You guys are on the right track. I have all jet kits, Dynojet, Muzzy and Ivans. The IVans kit is by far the best. I played around with a couple of different pipes, the akro, muzzy ti and a jardine slip on. To be really honest the slip on Jardine gave the biggest bang for the buck. the best thing about the akra is vibration is WAY WAY reduced. It makes good power. The Muzzy is also a good pipe, it made the virbation somewhtat worse but made very good power, the Ivans kit with the muzzy pipe is a pretty good deal for the $ in my opinion. Muzzy Ti's are going for about $300+ on ebay lately, helluva alot cheaper than the Akra,

·
Registered
263 Posts
145$ from Rockland performance(ivan direct)
Installation not for the rookies!

·
Registered
14 Posts
slip on vs. fullsystem

what is the big difference between a dynojet kit and the IVAN'S?

·
Registered
989 Posts
SIMPLE.
People with dyno jet kits dont seam so happy HP.

I have seen 137-144 Rwhp with Ivans and Factory. And People with both to try tell me that Ivans is more strong.

PS Ivans has 2 ZX9s.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Stay away from DYNO JET if you know whats good for you! Once its in it's very hard to switch back. Here a a couple of cons of the dynojet

1. It switches to smaller mains (to copensate for con 2.)
2. You have to plug the main air jets, very hard to get out if you want to switch back or switch to another kit
3. You have to drill an auxilliray slide hole. Have to JB weld it back if you want to change back
4.It seems dynojet did their research to try and eliminate the on-off problem by messing with the main air jets and it seems to work but I think ithat is realy all they solved I dont think it increases the HP or TQ.

The ivans kit has some permannt mods that you can be aware of as well but Ivan assured me that they would only possitivile effect the bike if you put stock needls and jets back in,
1. you have to remove the pilot Air jets9 tricky part)
2. you enlarge slide return hole(very minimal ammount)
3. You have to clip a 1/4 turn from the springs

I've tried both and the Ivans feels so much better

·
Registered
12 Posts
Inferno said:
I've also heard the same thing about the 9R header(a mechanic at a local race shop told me this), so I went ahead and got a slip-on and factory 1.7 jet kit. Before I put the slip-on on, I put 1 shim under the needles, and adjusted the A/F screws out 2 1/4. I dynoed it the next day and got 130.7 h.p. About a month later, I threw the D+D s/o on without the jet kit, and took it back to the dyno and it got 140.8 h.p. I was surprised. My bike runs even better after the jet kit. :)
Mine is about the same... I have the jet kit and full muzzy, had it dyno tuned and finished at 139.7

1 - 14 of 14 Posts