Kawasaki World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I need some advice. Yesterday My 2001 ZX-12r started smoking and leaking coolant during my return ride from Va beach. I looked down and the temperature needle was at the H. This didn't not occur until I ran into traffic. Just as I slowed down to stop the temperature went up. Weird things was the day before I drove to the beach from MD which is about 200 miles. I Was in crazy traffic for 2 hours and no issues. Return home and all hell breaks lose. Once I pulled off the road I let it sit for a minute. Started it back up and again smoke and coolant come from the overflow. Had the bike towed back to MD. All fluids where good prior to departure. I cant remember if the fan kicked in but now it doesn't come on. Need help. Is te smoke any signs of damage? Fan issue? I'm not a mechanic. My bike has 11k miles on it. Any help will be useful.

·
Super Moderator
1,262 Posts
Is it steam or smoke?
My brother's FZ1-N started doing this last week, ended up being due to a faulty radiator cap.

If its smoke, its kind of hard to say until you pull your fairings off and see exactly where its coming from or see if anything has melted...

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Twen, the only overheating issues I've ever had were caused by the fan switch. The symptoms you describe make me think that this is your problem too. The switch is easy to get to, and can be changed in less than 5 minutes with 1 wrench and some teflon tape. You don't have to remove any other parts to get to it - you can see it if you look into your lefthand fairing vent. It is the brass fitting screwed into the back of the radiator.

You said you're not a mechanic. If you've ever wanted to start working on your own bike, this would be a good place to start. There is a simple procedure to verify that this is your problem. The switch is expensive, almost $100.

Whether you decide to go for it yourself, or put it in the shop, good luck with it....:zxred:

·
Registered
157 Posts
You said you're not a mechanic. If you've ever wanted to start working on your own bike, this would be a good place to start. There is a simple procedure to verify that this is your problem. The switch is expensive, almost $100.

Whether you decide to go for it yourself, or put it in the shop, good luck with it....:zxred:
Holy shit, I just looked up that sensor, $90, jeeze, for a car there $20. A new rad goes for $818, dam. I've been thinking about hooking up a toggle switch to turn on the fan in case the rad sensor goes bad or to turn the fan on a little earlier when I'll be stuck in traffic. now I know I'm going to do it.

Good Luck, It does sound like your sensor went bad. Hopefully the smoke you described was steam.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Holy shit, I just looked up that sensor, $90, jeeze, for a car there $20. A new rad goes for $818, dam. I've been thinking about hooking up a toggle switch to turn on the fan in case the rad sensor goes bad or to turn the fan on a little earlier when I'll be stuck in traffic. now I know I'm going to do it.

Good Luck, It does sound like your sensor went bad. Hopefully the smoke you described was steam.
Thats the first thing I did was hook up a toggle sw....Worth every bit of the time....:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
one way just to check that the fan still works is to connect a battery to it.
if it works do like that guys said for now fit a switch that way you can check out your bike without the worry of it over heating

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks fellas. It turned out the fan cable was slight disconnected. Once it was reconnected the fan then came on. However, the pressure caused a hole. I'm sure you asked how. Well apparently a motor mount Bolt some how unscrewed itself (not sure how) and was pressing up against the radiator. Since the fan wasn't working the pressure build up crack right where the bolt and the radiator met.

So to fix my issue, I have to purchase a new radiator. Any suggestions on where to look to purchase one. Use or New. I would entertain the idea for a use one considering the radiator cost $800....UGH! Any suggestions???????

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
The loose motor mount problem has happened to a few riders out here. As far as the radiator goes, it seems you should be able to get that fixed rather inexpensively if you have the radiator off the bike. They are few and far between on the used market. Some people have used the Chinese-made radiators which appear from time to time on Ebay for ~ $150.00 with varying degrees of satisfaction. Good luck with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts