Kawasaki World banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a new thread to show how I found a cheap solution to the wellnut sucked into motor problem on my 2010 ZX14. Step by step on how to do it.

I bought the steel wellnuts that were suggested by Slingshot in the prior thread, about 10 bucks for 2 dozen of them. Then I bought some stainless steel washers that have a 3/8 inch center hole and measure about 1 inch outside diameter. Also bought some "JB Weld", an epoxy that comes in 2 part tubes. Total investment less than $20.

The barrel of the wellnut is just less that 3/8 inch diameter, so it fits perfectly into the washer. The wellnut shoulder is just under 1/2 inch outside diameter, so it will fall thru the hole in the airbox, thus the need for the washer! (The hole is about 1/2 inch diameter)

You have to remove the finned side panels and the front tank cover from the bike to expose the holes in the airbox. It is the rear fastener for the finned side panel that causes the problem. They are the ones that have the rubber wellnuts in the air box that seem to self destruct. My mechanic had removed the one remaining wellnut-(not sure how he did it) but it was quite mangled up when it came out. Only had to do one because as you remember, the other one ended up in the motor. There is a rubber flap on each side of the air box that you have to lift up and tape in place so it is out of the way of the holes while working..

So, using the epoxy glue, I glued the steel wellnut into the washer and let it set for 24 hours. After curing, using pliers to hold the wellnut barrel, and with an allen wrench I screwed the 6 mm screw into the wellnut enough to expand the base of the barrel to about 7/16 inch diameter. That helps to center the assembly in the 1/2 inch hole in the bike.

Then I prepped the 1/2 inch hole in the airbox by grinding the surface around the hole to get a surface that the epoxy would stick to (got rid of the paint). It was not perfect, but got enough aluminum exposed to satisfy me.

I then applied the epoxy to the surface of the under side of the washer and placed it in the 1/2 hole in the airbox. I had left the screw in place, so I could rotate the assembly to get a good glue seal. There was still a little play between the barrel and the hole, so I moved it to what I believed to be the center. Since the screw was in it, it was high enough to allow me to put duct tape over it to hold it in place while it cured. I did both sides at the same time. There is about a 10 minute working time once the epoxy is mixed. I believe the problem is solved!

Also just had the motor rebuilt with bigger pistons and 15.5 compression ratio, with an estimated 225 HP. This will be fun on the drag strip if all the parts stay where they should!
 
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Top