Kawasaki World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have close to 50K miles in my Arai helmet and I have to say, I like the helmet a lot. It's one of the few helmets that I have had that I could wear for 24 hours doing the IBA thing. But, it's got 50K miles of my head in it and I'm thinking of getting a new lid.

Arai has decided that they will no longer allow mail order business. There is nobody within several hundred miles of here that has a good selection of Arai helmets:(

There are several good shops such as http://www.helmetshop.com that have good inventory and will allow you to return the helmet if you don't like it for any reason. They provided my last Arai and I am quite happy with the service I got. They however, can no longer sell Arai helmets due to Arai's pollicy (which I think could be challenged in court but who would want to invest the time or money to do so).

So, I am looking at some other high end helmets. One that has my interest peaked is the Soumy. I see a lot of top WSB, and MotoGP riders wearing them so they must be top notch. http://www.gearboxinternational.com/ is the importer for them but the Helmet Stop also carries them. They really have some good looking paint schemes on them but has anybody actually ever seen one in person that can tell me how the quality really is? Is it really on par with Arai?

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Don't know anybody that has one, but did get to get a close look at them while in Vegas for the DRA last year. I am leaning in that direction myself. Chances are you'll buy one before me though. :lol: At least I'm thinking of a new helmet. Let me know what you think of it, if you go that way.

·
Registered
19,235 Posts
OKD, They are still selling leftover Arais on Ebay at internet prices (e.g., $425 for RX-7RR4).

·
Registered
506 Posts
Suomy

I have an Arai RX7RR, an Arai Quantum F, and a Suomy Gunwind.

They are nice but I like the Arai better. The paint scheme/finish is nice on the Suomy. They use alot of sparkle/glitter. My Russell Replica looks really good with my Silver bike 8). I just like the ease of use with the Arai. I've gotten sort of used to using the shield removal/exchange on it.

Arai 9.5 to 10
Suomy 9

·
Registered
69 Posts
Suomy lids??????????

I bought a Troy Corser Suomy lid about 2 years ago. A great fit, great colour schemes and my glasses fitted beautifully - way to go I thought. :D
Returned the lid the next day. :evil: WHY? I believe that they use the same side pod system today as back then, it's a snap on and pull off affair. The problem is that unless one is extremely carefull (kid glove carefull), the plastic probes that locate the side pods tend to break very easy. When I returned the lid to the shop the sales girl informed me that, that was a common fault with Suomy and exchanged the helmet without any dramas. I walked out with a Shoei.
CHECK OUT THE SIDE POD SYSTEM - YOU NEED TO REMOVE THE POD IN ORDER TO REPLACE THE VISOR![/b]

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
A little 'heads up' here.

I have a Shoei Z-II. Make sure you tighten the little plastic screw that holds the shield locking system in place from time to time. I pulled in the garage, popped my shield up and 'bonging' ..... pieces of my helmet shot everywhere! I was lucky and found all the parts and got it back together. I checked the otherside and it was loose also.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Suomy

The Suomy is a very nice helmet. It really looks the business. However, the Arai is more comfortable in the (facial) cheek area. Hold out for an Arai. You know it's what you really want. Especially that "Haga" model!

Have you seen the new Nicky Haden models. That black is very cool.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts