Kawasaki World banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'Day All, I'd really appreciate some advice here.

The 11 has been running a bit rough so I decided to use my limited mechanical knowledge to clean the air filter and change the plugs. First off the air filter is unrecoverable so I'll have to get a new one, but when I pulled the first plug cap there was evidence of oil and when I removed the spark plug itself it was drenched in oil. I pulled another plug cap and saw oil again but haven't removed any more spark plugs.

A little searching online is pointing towards the valve cover gasket. Do people agree? and any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

As many would be aware, it's a helluva chore getting to the plugs and the bikes in pieces. It seems a shame to put it back together to get it to the shop just so they can strip it again. But I just don't think I have the technical confidence and ability to do the job.

I'll do some research, look at the service manual, look at the bike and see whether I'd be biting off more than I can chew.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Easies job ever i did mine beggining of the year
When people say zx12r is hard to work on ?
Just take your time label bolts in ziplock bags
Plugs and connectors painter tape on each and put numbers so its so easy to put stuff back together

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Don't the 11 have a twin spar frame? Easy as pie if so.

·
Super Moderator
1,384 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys.

I'm warming to doing this myself now. I can understand oil on the plugs due to the plug gaskets under the valve cover but what I don't understand is how it could be due to the valve cover gasket. Doesn't it just seal the valve cover to the cylinder head because it simply runs around the perimeter of the valve cover.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
While your in there adjust the valves if they need it.How may miles on engine and the year of bike.Sync the carbs also.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
You are correct. The valve cover seals around the head surface. The plug gaskets seal the holes in the valve cover where the plugs go. They can be called valve cover gaskets as they seal the cover as well, but so folks know what is talked about, prolly best to label them separate. The oil leak is the plug hole gaskets when your plugs are swimming. Can be the cause of your running rough issues as well.

You can nail it down. It's a breeze.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah Mark, the valves are on my mind now. Thinking of getting a mobile bike mechanic out just to do the valves.

Thanks my12r, that clears it up nicely. I suppose I'll have to replace the big one anyway after I crack it open.

Good thing we're in for a wet week. I'll order parts tomorrow and while the bikes' in pieces I'll be taking 4 wheels to work anyway.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well... I've had a look and decided to the let the professionals do it all. I'm in the process of putting the bike back together. There's a few jobs I'd like done so I'll see what sort of package the shop can do for me.

Now lets just see if it starts again. No reason why it shouldn't :)

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Good luck mate, hope the shop can give you a good deal on the job. I loved the '93 1100 I had prior to my first 12. They are a fantastic all rounder with plenty of go and a decent sized tank! Still miss it too!

Don.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good luck mate, hope the shop can give you a good deal on the job. I loved the '93 1100 I had prior to my first 12. They are a fantastic all rounder with plenty of go and a decent sized tank! Still miss it too!

Don.
G'Day Don, Nice to hear from you mate. Yeah at least I can go into the shop with a heads up on the issue so they can pre-order the parts and have them on hand. My local Kawa shop is pretty good.

I love the 11, mine's decal'd a ZX-11. I don't know how that came to be in Australia. Either imported or binned and then fitted with ZX-11 plastics. I miss my 03 12 a lot though. When I moved to Brisbane I did a lot of track days so I sold the 12, bought a 10 and then had to sell that due to financial issues. Picked up the 11 cheap and for an old bus, she's a ripper!

Stay safe in SA mate.

·
Registered
518 Posts
You are correct. The valve cover seals around the head surface. The plug gaskets seal the holes in the valve cover where the plugs go. They can be called valve cover gaskets as they seal the cover as well, but so folks know what is talked about, prolly best to label them separate. The oil leak is the plug hole gaskets when your plugs are swimming. Can be the cause of your running rough issues as well.

You can nail it down. It's a breeze.
Absolutely. And common to have at least one go. Nothing to worry about.

I love the 11, mine's decal'd a ZX-11. ... cheap and for an old bus, she's a ripper!
Me too. Still very capable and a testament to their strength given their age. Probably my favourite kawasaki of all time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
G'Day All, I'd really appreciate some advice here.

The 11 has been running a bit rough so I decided to use my limited mechanical knowledge to clean the air filter and change the plugs. First off the air filter is unrecoverable so I'll have to get a new one, but when I pulled the first plug cap there was evidence of oil and when I removed the spark plug itself it was drenched in oil. I pulled another plug cap and saw oil again but haven't removed any more spark plugs.

A little searching online is pointing towards the valve cover gasket. Do people agree? and any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Unfortunately, you may need to replace your head gasket. Sorry…

1 - 18 of 18 Posts