Kawasaki World banner

Spun rod bearing advice?

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  KZScott 
#1 ·
Hi guys, i recently lined up a 2007 ninja 250 with a bad owner claimed engine...

And also lined up a 400 mile owner claimed 2009 engine...

So good deal i thought...

Aside from the headaches of fitting the newer engine in the old frame...

And realising that the headers mount up completely differenly way too late...

I finally got around to ripping into the bad engine..

Tear it apart and everything looks good, other than bunch of crud and copper looking flakes in the oil pickup screen...

All the bearings looked great until i pulled off the last rod cap, and.... Ta dahhhhhh....

Winner winner...

Spun rod bearing...

Looks like bearing was spinning with the crank...

So.... Heres vids...

Video kinda shows rod bearing and stuff

Copper flakes on screen

So questions,

1- is all that copper stuff from the bearing?

2- the crank passes fingernail test, so do i just need a new rod and bearing?

See less See more
#3 ·
its up to you mate your the only one that can feel / see the actual amount of damage if it is as you say just spun the bearing you might be lucky with a fresh set but why did it spin. if it was me i would just replace the bearings and yes it looks likely the copper is from the bearing Craig

#4 ·
Thx man, i looked again for the first time today, the crank is toast.

I guess i was rushing at the end since i was about to go out for the night... and just overlooked the important small details...

Thx for the input apparently nobody makes oversized bearing so u cant repair crank and go.

I already have a working engine in the bike so no biggie, just had hoped to save this engine and use it as the heart of another project down the road...

#5 ·
With as easy as it is to drop a motor / bolt up a new one in a motorcycle, I'd say just search craigslist or ebay for a complete running motor. Way easier then going through the hassle of rebuilding a broken on, especially on just some normal commuter build. IMO anyways.

#6 ·
Haha i already did... i bolted up a new engine first thing...

Its just one of those, tore it apart to see if and what at all its worth..

I was thinking at this point thats it part out the guts and be done...

But i think ill just keep an eye open for a good crank and rod set...

I can get em cheap and putting together an engine is fun for me...

And then i will have saved one more engine...

Karma or something...

#9 ·
about 250/journal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.