Kawasaki World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2000 ZX9R with 12K miles. Bike sat in a storage unit for 7 years,,,, battery was dead, and bought it without trying to pop a new battery in first, Regret that now.... trailered it home put in a new battery,,, Started easily with the old gas in it. Since have changed the oil using Mobil 1 10w40, new gas and fuel K&N air filter. Put it in the pit stand,. starts even quicker now , with no choke.

Here's the problem... idles at 1300, but within a few seconds idle increases to 2500 to 3000. And haven't been able to engage 1st gear to make the tire spin, it immediately stalls. tried adjusting the clutch cable at the handle bar lever with no results, I've heard that bikes that have sat a long time can have clutch plates that won't disengage,,,, but with the lever pulled back to the bar it runs, stalls while releasing the clutch lever.

So what should I do now, inspect the clutch? And what should I look for? Haven't torn a bike engine gear case apart since my 1974 Hodaka.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Is the kickstand up? Bike won't run in gear with kickstand down. I would start with the kickstand switch. I'm sure ninjayorkie will chime in he is a wealth of knowledge on the zx9.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kick stand was down! I didn't think about that, a kickstand interlock.... ran out flipped it up and now got that fat tire turning..... thank you Metalmagician, you saved me an embarrassing trip to the bike shop. My other bike is a 1976 KH500 that I restored..... that smoker is crude, rude and simple as to wrench compared to this Ninja.... gets a lot of attention (both admiration and frowns from tree huggers) .

·
Registered
329 Posts
Glad I could be of help lol. Yes there is quite a difference between your bikes even more so with the modern bikes. Compared to modern bikes the zx9 is pretty simple. I'm currently rebuilding a 2000 zx9 at the moment. It will have some custom touches and 02-03 fairings. I'll post pics and details when finished. Once you get your bike in order you find it very surprising and well balanced.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I don't know about saving you the embarrassment its too late now :grin2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts