Kawasaki World banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,as previously mentioned,I have been restoring this zx12 for quite a while.
Whilst in the process,I pulled the starter motor down,and discovered it was badly contaminated with oil.
Turns out that the seal (that's unavailable to purchase separate)what is it with Kawasaki c'mon man!!
Anyway I got one made for me,and that was sorted,so decided to put new brushes in whilst stripped down.
This is where,I would like to give the heads up to anyone doing this repair.don't buy cheap brushes off internet!
I did notice at the time of fitment they looked inferior to the oem brushes i was replacing,but went ahead.
Anyway fast forward to this week,and the moment of fruition,where all my hard work culminated in the inaugural start up.she fired up after a few primes,but was sluggish cranking.After idling and getting her up to temp,and checking for leaks,fan operation etc,I turned her off.tried 're start and had classic flat battery symtoms.
After exhaustive checks on wiring,checking for voltage drop,I even ran slave cables by passing solenoid harness,and also ground cable.I'm afraid my cheap brushes were to blame,just not up to carrying the current required for armature and starter operation.Cheap isn't always cheerful guys.regards roy.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I would imagine that New brushes would take a little while to wear in to allow the best contact and current to flow.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would imagine that New brushes would take a little while to wear in to allow the best contact and current to flow.
Hi,yeah I considered this,but I have tried a few times now in the hope they would bed in with comutator,but the symptoms not getting any better,making me think the actual leads are not thick enough as the oem
Did they say how many km. on the bike, the starter came from?

Bear
hi,unfortunately they didnt,so I'm kinda taking a chance I suppose.incidentally do you know if there was a design change to the later b3 models onwards,because there was a later model starter for sale on web,but the retainer lugs seemed to be at right angles to the starter body in the photo,whereas mine are parrallel at the end of motor.it could have been an optical illusion i dunno,but I didn't want to risk it so opted for the one that looks like mine......hope it arrives

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,as previously mentioned,I have been restoring this zx12 for quite a while.
Whilst in the process,I pulled the starter motor down,and discovered it was badly contaminated with oil.
Turns out that the seal (that's unavailable to purchase separate)what is it with Kawasaki c'mon man!!
Anyway I got one made for me,and that was sorted,so decided to put new brushes in whilst stripped down.
This is where,I would like to give the heads up to anyone doing this repair.don't buy cheap brushes off internet!
I did notice at the time of fitment they looked inferior to the oem brushes i was replacing,but went ahead.
Anyway fast forward to this week,and the moment of fruition,where all my hard work culminated in the inaugural start up.she fired up after a few primes,but was sluggish cranking.After idling and getting her up to temp,and checking for leaks,fan operation etc,I turned her off.tried 're start and had classic flat battery symtoms.
After exhaustive checks on wiring,checking for voltage drop,I even ran slave cables by passing solenoid harness,and also ground cable.I'm afraid my cheap brushes were to blame,just not up to carrying the current required for armature and starter operation.Cheap isn't always cheerful guys.regards roy.
Good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts