Kawasaki World banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a little issue today on my way to work and it truly baffles me. Luckily I recorded when it happened.
Essentially all engine electronics shut off.
Lights all turn on with the ignition switch. When plugging in the battery positive connectors the guages cycle, however when turning the key to the on position the guages do not cycle and it does not display anything. I just get the backlighting. Fuel pump does not prime, I basically have a glorified light switch. Anyone have any suggestions?
I have thus far, swapped batteries, both of them verified as working good
Looked at the 30 amp fuses, they seemed fine

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Does the bike turn over by the switch?
Is the battery ground strap/crimp/soldier all solid.
Ground on left side of frame under the tank cover tight/grounded.
All fuses in front of gas tank good?
Fuses in the battery tray good?
Ecu plugs (2) in the tail not worn through on the bottom.(underside).
Did you add wiring? Splice wiring? Does it have an alarm?
Power commander grounded?
Did you disconnect power commander and try to run the bike?
Does it have the oem immobilizer? Did you look in the manual for immobilizer troubleshooting?

cmg

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No imobilizer. When the key is flipped to the on position its as if it was still off but now the lights can be turned on, and the cluster receives backlighting. There is no info on the cluster i.e. fuel mileage etc. Bike has no imobilizer, will check ecu.
I have currently the several things grounded to the negative terminal on the battery, going to go check right now wether they flip on when I switch they key on. Fi light not possible, the oil pressure light won't even turn on. Something electrical for sure.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fuses look good, im inclined to believe this is something between the ignition switch and all the things it turns on and the only reason I think its from there forward and not at the battery is that plugging in the connectors cause the cluster to cycle since I dont think that could possibly run off the headlight fuse in case I am incorrect about the main fuse being okay. I'm going to check the service manual diagrams but any suggestions on connectors I should check or cables is apreciated

·
Super Moderator
1,378 Posts
I'd be checking the connections and wires on the white plug (8pin?) that clips into the side of the battery tray. Starting with the wires that are attached IN the tray and any attached fuses..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone for your assistance. I dont know whhere i read that it had it but i checked my ignition fuse and what do you know, the sucker was blown clear as day lol. Feel like an idiot for not checking it sooner but now i know. Additionally id like to thank everyone who came with suggestions, I absolutely love and apreciate the community that still exists keeping these bikes alive.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes actually. By putting the grounds on one by one i found that my QS is shorting it. I pulled the wires that hook to the ignition coils and they all looked fine which is odd, but im going to contact translogic and see what they say. I traced all the wires and they look fine so im baffled. Might just go one by one plugging them in to see which one is causing it. The bike has no issue when the coils are connected directly to the ignition cables.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Do a kill switch resistance check as any resistance through the switch will reduce the voltage over the stick coil to nothing when that cylinder fires.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just to keep everyone updated, after I removed the QS, I found out my PC5 and my ignition module got fried. So I sent it off to get them warrantied out, and boy does it suck pulling the connectors through the subframe. Would be nice if the PCV and IGN module had fuses. In any case, hooked the oem plugs back up, bike fired right up. Hopefully no more shorts in the future. Also just received my ebay sc project slip on, must say I like the look
Tire Wheel Motorcycle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

1 - 18 of 18 Posts