Kawasaki World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious, as i've read a lot of other people also experience the same problem (known issue on the zx12r?), are there any "cures" for the stumble that the zx12r (well, 2000 model anyway) has at about 6rpm? if you hold it there the bike sort of accelerates, stumbles, etc etc over and over again...you either have to increase your speed or change gear to "eliminate" the problem...

hard to explain but i'm sure people know what i mean...i had the problem both before and after my modifictions...

·
Registered
222 Posts
That doesn't sound right at all... At 6K, it should know nothing but get it on. The only stumble I've ever had was down just off idle and I was able to get rid of that with careful adjustment of the TPS. Check your TPS, fuel, and air filter, maybe even run a good fuel injector cleaner (Chevron Techron) through it. When did it start the stumble at 6,000 RPM?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
uhhh, i think i mean about 5,000rpm

i thought i've read other people on this forum with the same problem...

my bike only has 6,500km on it (haven't ridden it that much since i bought it back in 2000)...

the problem is like this:

i accelerate up to 5,000 or so rpm, and i then hold it there...the bike wants to "surge" a bit even if i hold the throttle steady...basically i have to either change gear (so the revs drop, thereby avoiding the surge) or i accelerate past that point and it goes away (above 6,000rpm)...it's very touchy around that point...it's not a stumble as such, just a surging problem...i've read that it's very common on the 2000 models and there isn't much that can be done...hmmm... :?:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also...currently have bmc air filter (put in only 1,000km ago) and remus slip-on exhaust...i think i recall however having the problem before this but i think my air filter has made it more noticable (due to increased air flow)...

G

·
0 Posts
I would try putting the standard pipe and filter back in/on and give it
a run? It could be abit lean?I take it you are not running a pc111 or
anything?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no pcIII

lean? hmmm, i doubt it - from the smell (if i rev it) and the amount of black smoke than CAN come out, i would think it would be running rich!?!

i might try putting on the stock exhaust and stock air filter and see what happens - i'll have to do this when i have a bit of free time over the coming weeks...

i thought others were experiencing this problem too though and people just accepted it???

G

·
0 Posts
Revving the bike like you say won't give an accurate picture of fuel
mixture at 5k on light / constant throttle operation.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh ok

anyway, i just took it for a ride and the stumble that i have described didn't happen...hmmm, must be an on and off thing...

i'll test it a bit more as i ride over the next few weeks and i'll repost if the problem happens again...

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Surging at part throttle is normally an indication of a lean condition. I had a surge @ 4000. Since I have a PCIII, richening the mixture by 6% cured it. Putting your stock pipe/filters back on will probably cure your problem. But so will an aftermarket box and a remap!

tslewisz

1 - 10 of 10 Posts