Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tool do you guys use to remove the bearings from Swingarm. The Kawasaki tool is 300.00 bucks....damn, a dealer wants to charge me 150.00, and stated the bearings will be trashed..LOL. I can do that myself. LOL

Herb

·
Registered
649 Posts
What tool do you guys use to remove the bearings from Swingarm. The Kawasaki tool is 300.00 bucks....damn, a dealer wants to charge me 150.00, and stated the bearings will be trashed..LOL. I can do that myself. LOL

Herb
you use a bearing puller set like this one (I happen to have one 4 sale - $ 80.00 shipped to your front door). You can see it here: https://picasaweb.google.com/100960763344466058064/20002005KawasakiZX12RNinja page s 60-61. You use this to pull out all the rest of the bearings on your bike as well.

This will remove your bearings safely and, if they're still in good shape you could put them back in, however it is not indicated (probably this is what the dealership meant to say!). A couple of new bearings costs a couple of bucks and you can't tell in how good of shape are the ones you have in there. When you're getting ready to put them back in, send me a PM and I'll give you a call - tell you how to safely hammer them back in place.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
If you pull/knock any bearings out by the inner race, you probably should replace them. If you are very careful and patient you can usually tap them out with a long punch and hammer (notice I said tap, not bash, lol).

·
Registered
649 Posts
If you pull/knock any bearings out by the inner race, you probably should replace them. If you are very careful and patient you can usually tap them out with a long punch and hammer (notice I said tap, not bash, lol).
bellow you see a picture of the inside hole/point of attachment of a zx12r swingarm. You can see one bearing at one end and the other at the other end (barely visible). As you can see it's a flat walled "tunnel" with about of 1/4" gap between "it" and its bearings (at each end). If you can figure out how to get those bearings out by "tapping', "pulling", "pushing", or any other way besides using a bearing puller, I'll give you my zx12 (with a tank full of gas).

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
bellow you see a picture of the inside hole/point of attachment of a zx12r swingarm. You can see one bearing at one end and the other at the other end (barely visible). As you can see it's a flat walled "tunnel" with about of 1/4" gap between "it" and its bearings (at each end). If you can figure out how to get those bearings out by "tapping', "pulling", "pushing", or any other way besides using a bearing puller, I'll give you my zx12 (with a tank full of gas).
Well, there you have it, my mistake....different setup than some other bikes (such as the 14). On the other hand, I said usually. :lol: What I said about replacing them when you remove them by the inner race, stands. Would you agree with that?

It looks like that set you have is $69.99 at Harbor Freight, +$6.99 for shipping. :thumbup:

Blind Hole Bearing Puller - Needle Bearing Puller

This bearing puller is designed especially for pilot bearings, needle bearings and other jobs that require an internal puller.

■3 lb. slide hammer with T-handle for secure grip
■Chrome-plated shaft for smooth operation
■Four collets: 3/8" to 1/2", 9/16" to 11/16", 5/8" to 1", 1" to 1-1/4"
■Blow mold case
Shipping Weight: 7.85 lbs.
Is that the same set you have?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Well, there you have it, my mistake....different setup than some other bikes (such as the 14). On the other hand, I said usually. :lol: What I said about replacing them when you remove them by the inner race, stands. Would you agree with that?

It looks like that set you have is $69.99 at Harbor Freight, +$6.99 for shipping. :thumbup:

Blind Hole Bearing Puller - Needle Bearing Puller

Is that the same set you have?
NO, mine comes with a "Davieboy" stamp (assurance for quality :crazyloco: )

PS. so I see how it is...proved you wrong, and for that you messin' up my gig here :rant:....it's alright...it's alright

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
NO, mine comes with "Davieboy" stamp (assurance for quality :crazyloco: )

PS. so I see how it is...proved you wrong and for that you messin' up my gig here :rant:....it's alright...it's alright
It doesn't have anything to do with you proving me wrong...hell, I've been wrong plenty of times. It's your attitude, man. I was giving some advice of ways you can "usually" remove bearings. I was thinking that the 12 swingarm had an inner, removeable sleeve (as I am sure you have seen on other bikes as well). And that if you remove bearings by the inner race, you should replace them.

I'm not "messin up your gig", unless your "gig" is to sell your used tools for more than they cost new. :lol:

·
Registered
649 Posts
It doesn't have anything to do with you proving me wrong...hell, I've been wrong plenty of times. It's your attitude, man. I was giving some advice of ways you can "usually" remove bearings. I was thinking that the 12 swingarm had an inner, removeable sleeve (as I am sure you have seen on other bikes as well). And that if you remove bearings by the inner race, you should replace them.

I'm not "messin up your gig", unless your "gig" is to sell your used tools for more than they cost new. :lol:
relax buddy, i was just kidding - don't take it so damn personal.

...about my attitude: I'm here to sell my parts not to make friends....just coz' you ride a zx12, or '14 doesn't make us friends, or "brothers" of any kind...that's generally speaking !

...and my advise is free of charge as well, and "you can take to the bank" whatever I say here....this is just a way of me paying back for having my parts listed here for free !

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn...I didn't mean to start a riff on here, I just wanted to know what you guys use to remove these bearings...LOL....But I want to thank everyone that replied, and let you know I did get the bearings out, using the harborfreight tool...

Thanks...and " can we all just get along" the famous Rodney King quote....lol

Herb

·
Registered
649 Posts
Damn...I didn't mean to start a riff on here, I just wanted to know what you guys use to remove these bearings...LOL....But I want to thank everyone that replied, and let you know I did get the bearings out, using the harborfreight tool...

Thanks...and " can we all just get along" the famous Rodney King quote....lol

Herb
we are getting along Herb... a lil' entertainment never hurt anybody though :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I got a bent over tip on a long, fatty flat head screwdriver that fits in tight spots like that.....and a socket to pound the new in!...:thumbup: Cost me 10 seconds of my time to clamp it in a vise and pull...:lol:

This don't always work tho...but looks as tho it would in this case...:thumbup:

·
Registered
454 Posts

davie you better be glad i dont wanna take advantage of you on this offer. i have changed bearings in swingarms many times with just a flat head screwdriver being used as a punch. now wheel bearings a dif story. you can bust the wheel pretty easy without bearing puller. swingarm simple with any long slim piece of metal

·
Registered
84 Posts
I used a bearing puller with a fairly flat spade tip and both jaws reversed (so they looked like this --| |-- and they popped right out.

I put just a bit of heat on the swingarm frame around them beforehand and froze the new bearings (and a little bit of heat again around the holes on the swingarm) before reinstalling after powder coating.

I personally would never resuse bearings after removal, but your choice. It's been several years since I did the 12, but those bearings and the wheel bearings (yes, the same OEM mfg) you can get at NAPA for a fraction of what the Kawasaki dealer will charge you.

·
Registered
649 Posts
hey kandypink12 and my12r
my offer still stands - if it's so easy (and you've done it before), put together a small video and post it here. You both can use ANY home made tools you want and if you can get them bearings out without doing any damage to the swingarm, you can have my bike.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
...about my attitude: I'm here to sell my parts not to make friends....just coz' you ride a zx12, or '14 doesn't make us friends, or "brothers" of any kind...that's generally speaking !
Ya think?

http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?FID=3&TID=65354&set_time=

Page 2 is too much...

hey *** , does your pu**y stil hurt for not being able to buy back that zx12 turbo from me last year? I see you got your looser friends to gang up on me here... is this all of your double digit IQ club, or there are more !?
Yeah, you are probably not much into making "friends"...

I imagine you think "everyone else" has the problem...

:lol:

·
Registered
649 Posts
Ya think?

Hundreds of ZX-12R Parts for Sale @ CLASSIFIEDS

Page 2 is too much...

Yeah, you are probably not much into making "friends"...

I imagine you think "everyone else" has the problem...

:lol:
that's a bit sleazy of you buddy, but I'll explain.

I've got this dummy, you guys know him by the name of "shiphteey" who sold me a turbo a few years back. I never got to use it so last year I put it up for sale on ebay, for about $ 1,500.00.
Shiphteey approached me, wanting to buy it back for the price he sold it to me... I think that was about $ 1,350.00 or something like that.
I said "no", you pay $ 1,500.00 if you want it, after which he promissed me I'll never sell it because "he is a member of the kawasaki World...blah, blah, blah", and he came here and post it my conversation with him (which was just a 1 way pounding!!!).
Just to piss him off, I changed the price on the turbo to $ 2,000.00 + $ 150.00 shipping !!! - I SOLD IT IN LESS THAN A MONTH.

Now, the dummy follows me around and calls me a thief.... go figure

PS. Like I said before, I'm not here to make friends but I'll expose stupidity as soon as I see it - and there's plenty here as we all know it

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
that's a bit sleazy of you buddy, but I'll explain.
I beg to differ...."Sleazy" would be spamming the site, asking prices well over what you paid (and more than retail in some cases), and then claiming you are offering a service with your dubious advice.

If anyone wants a factory toolkit for $50, though, this is the guy to see...

I, and others, look forward to all of your parts being sold. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts