Kawasaki World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any suggestion for tank bags/saddlebags....yes I am married and no, the saddlebag is not her! :lol: She rides a bandit1200!!!!

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have a Teknic Chicane 3 point mount tankbag and the eclipse sport bike saddlebags with crossover bag. I like the tankbag although figuring out how to mount it on the 12 was tough. The eclipse saddlebags are minimal quality but were relatively cheap and serv the purpose. They were difficult to figure out mounting too. The 12 with its monocoque frame is a pin in this area. But I can get about 6 days worth of clothes total in all along with extra shoes etc.
The tank bag I got for $55 at Bobscycle.com and the Eclipse set I got for $150 through the dealer matching Chapparel's price. All come with rain covers. The teknic is very well made with a big map pocket. The rear strap was long enough to go under the seat to the tank mount bracket and held down with two fender washers under the tank pivot moun bolts, the front strap I had to fish around the steering head above the radiator. I use the tank bag almost all the time.

·
1,567 Posts
Ive been holding out for the Tank Locker from Rocket Locker. Les has been working on adapting it to the 12 and should be ready in about 2 months. Its almost winter here so I can wait

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!!!

I appreciate the info Quickwilly! ORVRider, it would be great if you could let me know how you make out with your tank bag...damn it is difficult to find anything that fits properly!!! :evil:

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Edge2edge,
I have the Bagster system on my tank.
It is basically a cover (colour matched) and the tank bag clips onto the cover, you can remove the bag within 20 seconds and ride the bike with the cover on. (It has a hole on top to gain access to the filler cap).
I have used this system for many, many years on various bikes. You can get different size bags from small 18 Litre sports to enormous two tier touring bags!
The colours can be up to 3 and are usually a reasonable match. I have taken some pics if you want me to post them, but they do have a web site which shows pics of a 12 wearing the kit.
Hope this helps out.
Regards
Ted

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bagster?

Hi Ted,
Thanks for the advice. I lived in Europe for 7 years and noted many bikes with the type of tank bag you mention, I just never inquired any further. If you wouldn't mind posting the pictures of it on your bike, it would give me an idea of what it looks like on a street riden motorcycle. Thanks

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Edge 2Edge,
Here are a few pics, I think Gibzx12r posted some of his green bike with the same luggage. these pics are hosted by MSN and don't stay too long on the site for some reason. If you don't get them I'll post them to an addy for you.

I apologise for the poor picture quality, but it was a very dark and overcast day, hence the difference between sides of the bike. the bagster web site give some good pics as well.
Hope this helpls out
Regards
Ted

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!!!!

Thanks Ted,
The tank cover looks like it was difficult to install and might scratch the tank? Any problems with it? The pictures turned out very nicely on my end, great job.

My bike is a black and gold 02, and the only modification thus far is helibars. They made a huge difference in comfort on a recent trip to Idaho and Montana.

Oh almost forgot....how much did it cost for the tank bag setup?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reading, UK

I am having one of those nights, I guess all the snow and cold weather is getting to me!!!!! :( I had the pleasure to live in Europe for 7 years and did a trip to the peak(sp) district in the UK. Very nice area, it that near Reading? Anyway just thought I would tell you how much I liked the UK!!!!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Rdge2Edge,
It was pretty straight forward to install the harness, I took how to pics, so if you end up getting it I can post them to you. there was no real difficulty as it uses the rear 2 bolts and the upper screws plus 2 straps to finally secure it.
I paid £150 sterling for the harness and Alpha bag. The bigger the bag the more it costs, but not excessively so. That price was for colour matched in one colour. they go up to 3 colours if you want.
You could get 2 colours for your Bike or the cheapest option is actually all black! So you will have creamed in there if you go for it!
The inside of the harness has soft foam in it so the tank won't get scratched, additioinally, they recommend that you polish your tank every now and again to help protect it.
The peak district is a lovely area, good for biking as well. Reading is about 40 miles west of London. I'll only be in this are for the next 4 months as I'm emigrating to the US in March.
Anyway, hope this has helped.
Regards
Ted

1 - 11 of 11 Posts