Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 ZX12...purchased it non-running about 3 years ago. Finally tore into engine and found piston rings were melted to the pistons. Purchased new cylinder, rings, and put engine back together. The starter seems to make a bit of a screeching sound when turning the engine over. The bike will start and run for about 2 seconds and then die. During that short time of it running, I hear a screeching sound that seems to be coming from the starter location.

Could it be the starter clutch and/or starter idler gear not disengaging? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Most likely yes. If it was not in a climate controlled garage, you probably have rust, etc on the starter. Take it apart and clean/rebuild it. That sounds like the starter is not disengaging.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jpowell...thanks for the reply. I just switched the starter from my other 2000 ZX12 and the starter doesn’t make the screeching noise when cranking but once it starts there is a screeching sound and then it immediately dies. Even if the starter clutch or starter idler gear is bad, shouldn’t the motor still actually continue to run?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Jpowell...thanks for the reply. I just switched the starter from my other 2000 ZX12 and the starter doesn’t make the screeching noise when cranking but once it starts there is a screeching sound and then it immediately dies. Even if the starter clutch or starter idler gear is bad, shouldn’t the motor still actually continue to run?
Check the cam chain tensioner is not too tight

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You make a good point tho. I did have trouble getting the chain to stay tight when putting the cam cover on. I had to stick a socket extension thru the cct and press against the chain to get it to remain tight when screwing the cam cover down.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You make a good point tho. I did have trouble getting the chain to stay tight when putting the cam cover on. I had to stick a socket extension thru the cct and press against the chain to get it to remain tight when screwing the cam cover down.
That doesn't sound good, maybe check it over again

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will pull the motor back out and check the cam chain and camshaft to ensure there’s no binding.

Also, I have 2 sets of camshafts. How do you tell the 2000 from 2001. I know it has something to do with the index mark or something like that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I will pull the motor back out and check the cam chain and camshaft to ensure there’s no binding.

Also, I have 2 sets of camshafts. How do you tell the 2000 from 2001. I know it has something to do with the index mark or something like that.
I saved this from a recent post,

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
You'll know if the wrong one is in, it won't turn over, I learned that one when I replaced my 2000 engine for a 2001 engine 🙈 good god was that a ball ache to find out what was going on, then I found this forum some good zx12r guys on here with a load of useful information.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I pulled the cams and they are 2000 cams according to the pictures you guys sent. It will hit for a second and then die.

·
Registered
145 Posts
There are markings on the bottom sprocket of the cam chain should line up with the split in the casing at TDC, it might have shifted when you were fighting with the chain tension

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The timing is good. Something seems to be binding the motor as it cranks. I can turn the crankshaft by hand with a wrench but there is a spot that seems really tight when I am turning it by hand. I know the compression stroke is a little hard when turning but shouldn’t be that hard.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Did you you install the pistons correctly? Sounds like your valve to piston clearence is off. If you had to put a socket in the chain to get thee cover on, that's not good at all. That's probably your screeching. You could take that cover off and see if the chain is rubbing it.

I am not 100% certain on the zx12r, but on most vehicles it matters how the pistons are installed. Intake/exhaust valve reliefs on the correct end.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts