Kawasaki World banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys 馃憢

A couple of weeks ago i got this idea that it'd be nice to have a fully digital dash for the 12, after some research i figured there aren't really any viable options that don't require a full ecu swap (ie haltech elite, or motec -- which come with their own sensors yada yada) or the AiM MXS which is around 1/1.5k, dont get me wrong its a great product just not for the average folk.

TL;DR: I set out to make my own unit, from scratch.

So there's a few barriers:
1) Looking at other similar projects mainly for cars i noticed they usually run TunerStudio which results in long bootup times and more powerful hardware required -> more expensive
2) TunerStudio CAN (see what i did there? no? ok fine..) only process CAN-BUS messages which we dont have on the 12 (since theres no OBD port)
3) OBD can be slow and delayed (depends on the unit) since its not on the ECU's top priorities to send the diagnostics data (i guess) and is probably more focused on correcting mapping for that chinatown akro pipe you slapped on :LOL:.

TL;DR: The 12 is mostly analog so no poncho

The requirements:
  • Basic: Tach, Speed, Gears, Temps, FI, Oil, High Beam. Turn signals? (eh no.)
  • The extra stuff: IAT, IAP, Oil temp & pressure, Tire pressures, Wideband AFR, Battery Voltage, GPS, IMU (Accelerometer / Lean)
  • Some way for all that stuff to communicate together
  • Software that can run on a potato, or a calculator (pretty much literally)
  • Sleepless nights

Fast forward a week, i got a package:

A raspberry pi 4 model b, the 8gb model to use as a development kit (jackpot because these are rarer to grab than gold),
the actual board that will go on the bike permanently will be a much cheaper lower spec one because this is just overkill.
Passive circuit component Circuit component Blue Computer keyboard Hardware programmer

Wires, meters, arduino for analog inputs because the raspberry does not have any, led's and more:
Table Furniture Computer Desk Netbook

Quickly gave it all a test and began to wire up a simulation for sensor voltage inputs:
Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Breadboard Electronic component

All good so far. The potentiometer simulates the 0-5V output of the 12's sensors and we get good input.

Then we had to send the data to the raspberry, i used CAN for this since it works great under high EMI environments like the coils that will be sitting right under it.
Wiring it up and setting up the data transfer was not too annoying (kinda was tbh now that i think about it lol).
Circuit component Light Electronic engineering Electricity Electrical wiring

After some (a lot) of fiddling we got good data transfer, some actual progress finally.

Time for the software, spent a few days researching what to use to run on these tiny things, in actual PCs we have limitless cpu, graphics and memory to do whatever, but for something that's gonna be running under a motorcycle seat we are pretty limited cpu, memory and power wise, like i mentioned before it needs to run on a potato and were limited to 512mb memory in total.

After making a decision on the backbone for the drawing part i started working on the actual dash interface, a couple of sleepless nights later aaaand voila:
Light Font Line Screenshot Display device

Now you'll notice that this is running on windows, so the next part is to actually get it to run efficiently on the SBC that has a different processor architecture than the PC, which turned out to be a major pain.
TL;DR eventually after a few stages of denial, bargaining with the code, depression and walls of errors I got it working.

Planned to work on:
All you see above
  • Find some place for the FI, OIL & High Beam icons in the main dash interface.
  • GPS Speed indication (instead of the ECU signal).
  • GPS Lap timer, this is still in the thinking stage im still researching GPS sensors.
  • Data logging & graphs (might even go for live graphs too).
  • Multiple wideband inputs (will attempt up to 5) for getting wild and analyzing per cylinder AFR (this might not work out since every wideband needs about 1Amp at 12V and power output is limited on a bike).
  • Wire up some IR temperature sensors on the bike (pic for reference)
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Car Automotive mirror

- Status screen which will display just the sensor data (pic for reference)
Audio equipment Automotive tire Engineering Automotive lighting Gauge

• Custom colors (easy since the entire interface is coded and no images are used).
  • Wire up an actual button control for going through the options and menus of the interface, been thinking of grabbing one off a KTM Duke that looks like this:
Camera accessory Automotive design Automotive wheel system Rim Bicycle part

It seems like the most intuitive one, but the problem is that the 12 has the choke slapped to the LH control and i dont feel like eliminating it, will put more thought into it.

So whats next?
  • Ill need to get the bike back when the knocking issue is solved so i can do fiddling with the multimeter and figure out the sensor voltage-to-value for the Water & IAT and measure how much amperage headroom there is (should be around 10 Amps?).
  • IAP and AIR Pressure sensors are well documented on the service manual so it should be easy enough to map them.
  • Find sensors for Oil and Water pressure.
  • Wait for the 3D Printer to arrive and start making some cases.
  • Wait a couple of months for the 12's ECU & Dash connectors to arrive from aliexpress so i can make small extension harnesses to wire up the system without modifying the original harness.
  • SLEEP.

Here's a video of the final result running demo mode on the RPM / Gears / Speed / Fuel Bar (Phone did a subpar job of capturing the kawi green goodness, but its there.)

Axcell

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive seen the L2M, the Holley racepak stuff i havent checked, although looking at the IQ3 package as a whole and the pricing of it i find it unreasonable to invest in, especially the units with data logging. After giving a brief check at the documentation the L2M Chrome (LITE which is.. well.. still unreasonably priced but more reasonable when compared the IQ3 stuff) seems to be configurable for analog inputs with manual setup for the temperature and pressure sensors so theoretically you could T wire the sensors to it. Although the interface and setup seems overcomplicated and has to be done through the dash interface.

Again none of these provide any decent functionality over the OEM dash until you get to the more premium versions that are a considerable price bump (2x? lol). My point is, by the time youre spending that much (like 2.2k?) on just a dash why not invest it in full kit, ie Haltech Elite 1500 ECU & iC-7 that can be set up off a laptop and totals around the same amount give or take a couple bucks.

Regarding my implementation, ive ordered 5 pairs of each connector for the dash (20 pin) and the ECU (34 pin & 26 pin):
Rectangle Composite material Auto part Circuit component Plastic
Font Auto part Electric blue Rectangle Electronics accessory
Rectangle Font Gas Electric blue Auto part

So i can make 1 very small harness so i can T-Wire the sensor outputs that i want from the ECU without damaging the OEM harness. These will take a while to arrive tho, probs a couple of months.

Most likely there will be one unit to collect sensor data somewhere close to the ECU that will get wired up to the new dash, and for the sensors that are in the dash end of the OEM harness there can be two solutions:
1) I can probably make my dash directly bolt on the OEM connector and bolt holes since ill have the male plug
2) or i can make another tiny harness and T-Wire the OEM connectors and just zip tie the new dash on the old dash (which will allow me to have both plugged in at the same time for debugging stuff)

Will probably go with #2 to start with and then #1 which i will probably work on 3D printing a copy of the OEM dash shape with a TFT cutout instead of the gauges so itll fit there nicely.

Lastly for the on-bike TFT screen, ill go with an automotive grade super bright sunlight readable panel that will not have any of the black bezels my current one has, after some measuring the 7" will be perfect for the 12.

Axcell

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont have the bike right now, its at the shop because of an engine knocking issue, probably gonna have it and test stuff in a 2-3 weeks.

I think the reason the bike wont start up is because of the speed sensor input to the ECU or some other sensor that the dash connects to the ECU, ill know more once once i get the bike back

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's with the A1 electronics though right? I think later on where they added the speed limiter even later on the immobilizer it got a bit more complicated.

Super Moderator
That's with the A1 electronics though right? I think later on where they added the speed limiter even later on the immobilizer it got a bit more complicated.
It all runs through the ecu before being output to the dash, so I don't think it would be an issue?

Registered
Nice project, I hope you get it sorted and working well. (y)
I like the idea of being able to monitor all the sensors, the TPS would be a good one to monitor as it's the one that's most likely to give intermittent problems.

One of the few things I wish the standard dash did is to reset one of the trip meters to zero when the low fuel segment starts to flash, as this would give me an idea as to how many miles I'd done if I did not spot when it started flashing.

Reactions: Axcell

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@SteveW :
Font Parallel Circle Pattern Symmetry

I think on the restricted A2+ up to B2 models the meter supplies voltage to the speed sensor [Pin 13], which then goes back to the ECU which check to trigger the 186mph limit and if the ECU doesnt detect voltage the bike will not start. And i believe they made the speed limiter more integrated to the ECU system on the B3+ models with the 32 bit ECU.

Also from what ive heard that the dash pin numbers are wrong in the above picture as pins go from right to left (and seems true because the ECU pins are R-to-L aligned). So pin 10 would be pin 1, pin 1 would be pin 10, pin 20 would be pin 11 and pin 11 would be pin 20. To be confirmed, again once i get the bike back :sleep:

@ninjayorkie That would be fairly easy to accomplish on the software side, ive been thinking to add a bunch of different trip meters for fuel, oil changes, valve clearances, with some data logging i also might be able to make the bike "learn" the fuel consumption as you ride and display some decent estimates after a few fill ups.

Axcell

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Super early Christmas yesterday. I got a big box.
Shoe Wood Flooring Shipping box Floor
Wood Rectangle Floor Flooring Office equipment

On to the painful assembly part... aaand after 3 hours of bolting bits and pieces together and another 5 of figuring out the firmware its done:
Computer keyboard Computer monitor Table Personal computer Input device

I dare you to find a better way to test this thing rather than printing a mini H2R mirror winglet.

The beginning..
Gadget Audio equipment Gas Automotive design Machine

..then 9 hours later its still going.. almost done though about an hour left o_O
Gadget Electrical wiring Computer hardware Office equipment Engineering

Time to get started on the dash and electronics enclosures 馃榿

Registered
Since this isn't going to be doing much more than displaying standard metrics (no TC/ride modes to manage, no snazzy animations to display), would a Davinci be a better route?
Speedometer Gauge Gadget Measuring instrument Vehicle

Registered
I don't understand why anyone would want to change the dash of a ZX12R, especially an A1 and its badass 220 mph speedometer.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Registered
I don't understand why anyone would want to change the dash of a ZX12R, especially an A1 and its badass 220 mph speedometer.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I would say the biggest gains are readability and units. I'd rather see a temp readout rather than an arrow and the spacing on the OEM speedo is kind of tight/hard to read at a glance. I'm not a tremendous fan of TFTs since I honestly believe it's an OEM's trick to sell you a $20 tablet while charging you $4k for the service!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since this isn't going to be doing much more than displaying standard metrics (no TC/ride modes to manage, no snazzy animations to display), would a Davinci be a better route?
So theres a couple of reasons why. First and foremost Its fun. I could have easily went ahead and bought a Haltech iC7, AiM MXS or Davinci unit and called it a day. But this way i get to figure out how the bike ticks, generally play with it and have a good challenge.

Then theres the customization part, once finally put together i can literally expand the system with any functionality i feel like, whether thats launch control, boost control, TC and eventually FI maps and timing, i dont have a set plan for this project i will keep expanding it in my spare time.

Lastly something irrelevant but just to mention, the davinci unit goes for around 1.2k for the dash and a harness, so far Ive spent 2/3 of that including 400ish for the 3d printer setup, around 250 for the large overkill Raspberry kit that i used to test stuff and will not go on the bike which is to be used for different projects and lots of spare connectors for the bike.

I would say the biggest gains are readability and units. I'd rather see a temp readout rather than an arrow and the spacing on the OEM speedo is kind of tight/hard to read at a glance. I'm not a tremendous fan of TFTs since I honestly believe it's an OEM's trick to sell you a $20 tablet while charging you $4k for the service!
I couldnt agree more with this post readability is the key and i will also mention data logging and expansion. On the newer bikes that theres digital outputs from the ECUs with all the info you need its fairly cheap to do this through OBDII and well while its not per se an $20 tablet (more like $200) its definitely not 1, 2 or 3k that these things go for.

Registered
Something else to add to it would be, auto fault code displaying / sequencing if more than one code, and what the codes are, plus being able to clear them. (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Something else to add to it would be, auto fault code displaying / sequencing if more than one code, and what the codes are, plus being able to clear them. (y)
That's a great idea, will definitely look into it! Clearing them apparently is not possible since they are generated by the ECU and I'm not able to write to it. I can probably add some kind of "ignore functionality" so they don't flash around but if there are any that prevent the bike from running there's not much I can do about it apparently.

Edit: One of the many things I'm working on atm while waiting for other components to arrive from china is converting the PC3 QS sensor to my system and use ignition cut instead.

Axcell

1 - 20 of 37 Posts