Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone could help me out a little. Im sort of new to motorcycles and this is actually my first post on this forum. Big noob here..!! hehe.

The 05 ZX12R is really low on power, not even close to what it was when I bought it 5 months ago. Its just not responsive in the lower part of the powerband (anywere really) and it just gets worst as I go up in the RPM's she pulls a little but nothing like stock. Not even close. I can only get to 160mph and it takes some time to get there, it still climbs but sloooooowly.

Fi light is not on. If I snap her wide open at around 6k rpm's.... NOTHING happens, she just keeps going like I didnt even hit the gas. And she is wot. As soon as I start letting off, she jumps forward. :puzzled: But it only happens sometimes, its not consistant. She also backfires ALOT when I let go of the throttle at decent revs. More than I remember, maybe im just paranoid. Yoshimura slip on and K&N filter are the only mods.

So I checked the fuel pump, when ignition is turned on (engine off) she puts out 45psi when she primes. (Not sure when the bike is actually running tho) (Cleaned her with maf cleaner also) Changed all the spark plugs, no difference at all. Valves were adjusted by a shop, all exhaust valves were too tight. Previous owner never did them after 23k miles. The bike ran stronger after she was adjusted but still not close to 170hp+. More like 90. She won't even wheelie in first gear.

I checked the voltage on the Main throttle sensor, inlet air pressure sensor, atmospheric pressure sensor and subthrottle sensor. All have the right voltage according to the manual. Air filter is kinda dirty but not enough to rob all that power. Will replace. The ECU controls the top butterfly valves in the throttle bodies I believe and they open and close when ignition is turned on. And as I say F1 light is not on.

I think I read in the manual that the Fuel pump and pressure regulator for the fuel pump won't give an FI code when they go bad. Could the pump stop putting 40+ psi when she needs it? I guess the only way to know would be to try another.

Sorry for such a long description guys, just want to give you guys the most info. Im really starting to run out of ideas here. Should I go and put her on the Kawasaki Harness? Could it diagnose a problem even if I don't have an FI light? Any advice would be so much appreciated. Like I said, this is my first bike... Big noob here..! Thank you in advance guys!!

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
I do believe I saw this bike out at Irishtown cycle am I correct?I'm having sort of the same problem with one of my14s but not as bad. Mine pulls great till 9000 then just stops pulling like its running out of gas. When I back out some it starts to pull again. I have been reading about the screen in the fuel pump becoming plugged . with the shit gas around here with ethanol can see it. You can't buy a new one but they say you can clean them. Its the first thing I am doing in the spring.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ya tried that a few times,and it did work some,but think the screen is getting plugged. Even tried that acetone stuff did nothing.
You have the 14 right? Have you pulled the fuel pump out and taken the assembly apart? I worked on a zx10 with the same issues and didnt find a fix for it until i removed the fuel pump from the assembly that it's mounted in. That's when I found out there was trash down in there slowing down the fuel flow. Got that cleaned out and the bikes been running fine since.

·
Registered
430 Posts
You have the 14 right? Have you pulled the fuel pump out and taken the assembly apart? I worked on a zx10 with the same issues and didnt find a fix for it until i removed the fuel pump from the assembly that it's mounted in. That's when I found out there was trash down in there slowing down the fuel flow. Got that cleaned out and the bikes been running fine since.
Yup will be doing that in the spring,exactly what I thought. Could be original posters problem also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the reply guys!

The bike starts right up, no problems at all. Even under 6k rpm she runs good, but still nowere near stock power and torque.

This bike was at Irish Towncycle around a month ago yes. My gut tells me its the pump, but I cleaned it 3 times already and no difference at all. (Cleaned the outside screen and the internal filter the best I could) No difference at all. Like it was mentioned, might be something clogged inside!

Fuel injectors are a possibility as I havent really cleaned them yet! Im going to check my fuel pump again. I might try to buy a cheap low mileage fuel pump on ebay just to try it out, if I can find one. If its my problem Il buy a brand new one afterwards. They are very expensive..!! Good idea, I will also check the cat inside the header. Fuel pump seems to be a fix for alot of guys..

Thanks for all the reply's!! I really appreciate it! I will post up if I find something...

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
The bike starts right up, no problems at all. Even under 6k rpm she runs good...
Does this sound like dirty injectors, it starts right up? Does this sound like a low pumping fuel pump, it hauls up to a point?

So before you waste money throwing a chemical at it or swapping injectors, What is the compression?

So before you reach around another time looking for a fuel pump, WOT is the compression?

So before you piss away more money, what does the book say as to how much is filled in a measured beaker you turn the key on, have the fuel pump piss in some glass container, find a shot glass and begin to match book.

So before you run up the debt over some pile with how many miles on it since you last checked the valve lash and throttle sync so you know those 3 variables like gap/sync/compression won't piss away your bank account!?

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
99% of the time this type of issue is asked here, it is a faulty fuel pump. Acceleration up to 6-9k then hitting a wall is a classic symptom for this bike of fuel starvation....

I've had bikes with bad compression. They have shit power all the way through the range. They never reached a threshold and hit a wall.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I've had bikes with bad compression. They have shit power all the way through the range. They never reached a threshold and hit a wall.
:thumbup: Fuel pump.

1. It has spark = 'Starts right up'
2. It has compression = 'Starts right up and hits a wall at 6,000 rpm'
3. Fuel = It's starving for gas: pump.

·
Registered
679 Posts
The only thing that dose not fit the fuel pump theory is the increase in backfiring
which is usually cause by unburnt fuel..

If the Cat was clogged it would cause the bike to hit a rpm wall as the increasing exhaust pressure would slow the engine and the unburnt fuel would build up causing it to backfire a lot so I'm just saying sometimes its the simple and cheapest things to check first.

If the cat has been removed then it must be fuel injection related but being way too rich in fuel causing the engine to bog down and would explain the backfiring

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Correct. I have no clue where the cat is on a 12. But the 14 trivia, I've seen the combinations between gens. So if the 12 never used a cat in the header, there is no honeycomb in the header, right? It has slips says the OP. Yes, high rpm is rich backfire.

WOT is compression before we make another guess at it. Someone make a 'kick me' sign for not being my first post. I'm outta here without that variable out of the way.

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
Correct. I have no clue where the cat is on a 12. But the 14 trivia, I've seen the combinations between gens. So if the 12 never used a cat in the header, there is no honeycomb in the header, right? It has slips says the OP. Yes, high rpm is rich backfire.

WOT is compression before we make another guess at it. Someone make a 'kick me' sign for not being my first post. I'm outta here without that variable out of the way.
The cat is located at the end of the header, where the pumpkin launcher can mounts.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Check the flow of the pump. That's free. The manual lays out the testing procedure. The pressure is there, but what about volume.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts