Kawasaki World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

So is there a trick getting at the thermostat in these 12's? Such a tight space where it's located. I have replacement hoses but I have yet to replace the hoses that run to and from the thermostat housing because of space constraints. If I can figure out the "trick" of getting access, I'd like to replace the thermostat as well while I"m in there as well as the hoses.

Any recommendations?

Cheers!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's nothing wrong with it but it is 19ys old. So I figure while I'm in there replacing the hoses, I figure I'd replace it and be a little pro-active. They're a cheap part.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The thermostat housing is tricky to get to. I did not change out the thermostat when I changed out the hoses, thinking about it now, I probably should have because I had such "good" access...

When you put the hoses and clamps back, there is a sequence how to do it and have access to the hose clamps worm drive screw. It took me a while to figure it out when I did the hose change. When and if you decide to unbolt the thermostat housing, drown the bolts in penetrating oil so you won't snap them. I can not see any other way in removing a snapped thermostat housing bolt than to unbolt/separate the engine from the frame...

/Tom >:)

·
Registered
165 Posts
There's nothing wrong with it but it is 19ys old. So I figure while I'm in there replacing the hoses, I figure I'd replace it and be a little pro-active. They're a cheap part.
Yea, I understand. Be careful when you install the thermostat not to let it fall out a bit when you are reinstalling. It will be just a tad and you will bolt it up and not know it. You will when you start it, it will pour haha.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips! I'll keep this in mind when I take her out of hibernation in a couple of months.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yea, I understand. Be careful when you install the thermostat not to let it fall out a bit when you are reinstalling. It will be just a tad and you will bolt it up and not know it. You will when you start it, it will pour haha.
Yikes, that happened to me after having reworked the engine. Definitely some foul language trying to fix it after having the engine back in place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts