Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first get on the bike the clutch handle is really tight I have to turn the adjustment wheel at least 2 complete rotations to get any sort of free play in it, but while riding (within 45 minutes) I have to regularly adjust the wheel in stages all the way back to where it was to keep the same free play, I park up check the freeplay is good, go into work, finish work go sit on the bike and the clutch handle is again really tight and I have to repeat the whole process again.
Any idea what the cause of this could be? I've fitted a new cable but that hasn't helped

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's a weird one, can't say I've ever experienced or read something like that.

Looking at the system as a whole though, lever-cable-actuater arm-actuator rod-clutch plate cover and springs-clutch plates...the only culprit that stands out to me is the actuator arm.

Is it an A1 model?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
Also double check if the routing of the cable is right. You don't happen to live up in the north right?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The puller rod (actuator arm) may be twisting. Like a torsion rod. Kawasaki upgraded this part.
The later models had the better unit. It will interchange with yours.

cmg

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The manual will show the proper angle of the arm when installed. This will tell you if the clutch pac stack height is proper. Good indicator of clutch health.

cmg

·
Registered
30 Posts
As far as I recall it was only the A1 that had the thinner rod, all other years had the upgraded unit, and all replacements you buy now will be the newer one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Knew I had a pic somewhere.

I changed mine because it had a tendency to start shifting rougher after it warmed up. I suspect once the arm gets warm it flexes even more than usual and with a clutch were millimetres matter, you start feeling it.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I changed mine because it had a tendency to start shifting rougher after it warmed up. I suspect once the arm gets warm it flexes even more than usual and with a clutch were millimetres matter, you start feeling it.
That is indeed a big difference in build, thanks for the info I'll be looking out for it 👍🏻

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Just been looking through the different catalogues the thin rod was like you said only fitted on the 2000 model all the rest after that had the straight rod so mine should have a straight rod as its a 2001 engine, I'll have to open her up and have a look to be sure

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just unhook the cable, rotate the actuator beyond it's normal position and it just pulls out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just unhook the cable, rotate the actuator beyond it's normal position and it just pulls out.

Yeah it's the straight rod, I'll take the clutch out tomorrow and have a dig around see what I can find

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Interesting. Check to see if everything is flat? Friction smeared? Stack height?
End of the Pressure plate puller rod not damaged? Hub all notched/damaged.
cmg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts