Kawasaki World banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The first few parts went in. Installed the breather plate and the starter clutch, and spent some time trying to put together the order of how the engine is supposed to go together:
ZX-12R Engine Rebuilding | PaulDaisy
I will be editing the order as I go and adding the pictures, too.
If you notice something out of order, let me know and I will correct it. I have not done the entire thing yet, was just putting it in order in my head.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Made some progress this weekend.
Verified the starter clutch works properly. After reading it 10 times and looking closely, it appears that the book has the direction of free rotation of the clutch reversed. Installed the torque limiter cover, installed pistons in the cylinders, installed cylinders onto the upper crankcase, installed the head.
Ready to flip it over and install the gears and the shifter but my ThreeBond didn't arrive, not ready to assemble the crankcase.
Took the time to "blueprint" the inserts and select the thicker and thinner one from each pair. I marked the thicker ones and will install those on the same side of the crankshaft. Already laid the crank in and checked the side clearance (within spec).
Looking good!
The only nagging concern I have is, to torque it all and then realize that I have forgotten something that should have gone in earlier :headscratch:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Oh, forgot to mention that the head has been cleaned, valves removed and wire brushed, new valve seals installed and all of it assembled back together. The only thing I didn't do is polish the intake passages, which have some seams left in them from the casting. It would require an air pencil grinder to get those out. If I get bored with the assembly I may do that.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Sure, there are quite a few. Bear with me:
My dear wife allowed me to work in the kitchen when the weather was cold:

Oil pressure sensor reinstalled, threads sealed:

Breather plate installed:

Starter clutch being installed:

Head being disassembled:

Head, after cleaning, top side:

Head, after cleaning, bottom side:

Head components, organized to be reinstalled in the original location:

Valve seal, placed on valve guide but not pressed on yet:

Valve seals with the 7mm socket, perfect size to press the seals on:

Installing valve keepers:

Installing pistons. I used a ring compressor: cheap and makes inserting compression rings easy. The thin oil rings hung up a bit, on two pistons I pressed them into piston groove with an awl a bit and they went in. Then I got a hang of it and side-to-side rocking motion seats them right in, the last two went in flawlessly:

Cylinders in place:

Measuring the main bearings to group them by thickness. I used a 0.0550" piano wire to allow measuring the concave bearings, then subtracted 0.0550":

Thicker bearings are marked with black dot:

That's it for now. Cheers!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts