Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Can anyone help me out on the wiring redistribution on a 2000 12R in order to remove the tip over sensor.

I have no use of it now

Thanks !

J

·
Registered
207 Posts
First I want to ask why would you want to remove the tip sensor?? If you by-pass it and flip the bike upside down the engine will still be running... If you plan on racing it, no track tech will ever let you ride your bike on a track with out one or another type of "kill switch".. Any way, I have no idea how to by-pass it.. However if you want to experiment you will find the sensor inside the battery box. It has 3 wires going into it. The sensor has a magnet inside it, if the bike falls over, the magnet moves, cuts the electronics and kills the engine.. again, I still do not see any rational explanation on why one would want to remove/by-pass it?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

Thanks for the input. Indeed it is a vital element of a motorcycle but i omitted to mention that the current set up is as follows :

I am in the process of wiring the car and seeing that i need extra fuses for the car stuff (wiper motor, washer pump...) and also seeing that there are fuses and relays all over the ZX12R in stock form, i would like to regroup everything in one central fuse box and although there is not much to thin down on the loom I can take the opportunity to remove at least that sensor.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I was waiting for that,
I thought maybe the engine was going in a Lotus 7 style kit car !
Though that looks like a Bond Bug !
That will be pretty quick lol,

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
With as much power as that thing will have, especially with 1 front wheel, it might be advisable to keep that tip over sensor, in case it goes over. 3 wheelers (1 front with 2 rear) are very notorious for flipping over.

2 front with 1 rear is less likely to flip.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hey ! Thanks for your input

I am very familiar with these cars and hence thats why i have done extensive enhancements and thought out setups throughout the chassis design

Anything can be made to handle well.

It now has independant rear suspension with 20 inches extra in track width, the engine is hung as low as possible and set back the furthest too to lower the center of gravity to the max. I also increased the wheel base by 3 inches to help stability.

I am very eager to see how it performs with all these mods, that said the previous one I had was equipped with a 4XV Yamaha R1 engine. That was on a standard chassis setup and it was VERY driveable all things considered.

If i came to flip this car I doubt I would walk out of it so I'm really quite sure I can do without the tip over sensor

This is a very interesting read, I tried to work into the car as much as I could from these infos

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Joseph

I'm not 100% sure on the operation of the tip-over but my mind is telling me that it's merely passing on a + signal/voltage to the ECU while in an upright position (cuts it when tipped over). So in essence you should then be able to give the ECU a permanent + link bypassing the tip-over.

I'm not sure if that makes sense grammatically, but it does technically

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
You could, if you want to skip all the figuring out the electric stuff and just do a "Redneck" mod. Drill a small hole in the sensor casing. Hold the casing horizontal and fill the case with epoxy or something similar. That way the sensor magnet wont move. That said, this might or it might not work, so....

/Tom

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
This may be a better diagram.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Can you say hydrolock?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Of the three wires that connect to the sensor, the black yellow is an earth, so maybe its the 2 others that need connecting together ?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Of the three wires that connect to the sensor, the black yellow is an earth, so maybe its the 2 others that need connecting together ?
Should you measure the voltage? The ignition switch has a resistor in it. Only send a small signal to the ecu. Maybe this has one too?? I’ve not done it.

cmg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm indeed. I found this after an in depth google search

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Hmmm indeed. I found this after an in depth google search

Absolutely.
I have the spec for the resistor in the ignition somewhere. But that sounds familiar. If you pop open a ignition switch you can see the color combo. But 4.5 volts is definitely reasonable.

cmg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok i will look into it. But that is only for the sensor/ECU relation ?

Reading that info I found it is a bit confusing. I'm expecting the OE fuel pump gets 12V ?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Ok i will look into it. But that is only for the sensor/ECU relation ?

Reading that info I found it is a bit confusing. I'm expecting the OE fuel pump gets 12V ?
The pump gets 12v. The tip over sensor kills the ecu signal to the relay that runs the fuel pump?

cmg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great that phrasing was confusing.

I opened the ignition switch and indeed there is a resistor with the following :

-brown
-black
-black
-black
-brown

So that makes it a 100 ohm resistor from what ive seen on online calculators

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
That sounds right. I’ve wanted to build a race harness. But not ever got started. There are a lot of trap doors in a stock set up I have heard. Will be interesting to see how you navigate this project. ?

cmg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts