Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
never done one before...just wondering, what the "correct" procedure for doing a burnout (smoking it up!)? i got a friend to show me briefly - basically holding the front brake and jolting the throttle while disengaging the clutch so that you lose the traction easily...

tips please? my rear tyre needs changing soon!!! :D

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Hey Blue,
I just toasted my Dunlop yesterday, You can't really do too much wrong.
Spread a small amount of ATF or any oil will do, on the road. Back the bike into it and let her rip. Keep the rpm's around 5 or 6k thats all you need. Keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case.
I'm gunna start doing rolling burnouts cause they look very cool. 8)

Good Luck.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hehe, cool! :twisted:

out of interest, what is involved in doing a rolling burnout???

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
ATF enhances the burnout for photos. Sorry DoT. Gottta disagree w/u on that one.

My best burnouts are always enhanced. Antifreeze is my favorite.... :twisted:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Blue,
I'm sure you'll get a bunch of posts on this one. partly because of personal preference, type of rear tire (street or slick) and other things. My preference is to stand up and use both legs to keep the bike centered (nice to have a lowered bike to get both feet firmly on the ground and make sure you're not standing in something slipperly), apply front brake to prevent any forward movement, I prefer using 2nd gear on the transmission, (depending on your sprocket gearing you may want to go up or down a gear) bring the rpms up to 4-5k and let out on the clutch to get the tire turning. Monitor your tach and the smoke coming off the rear tire to determine how fast and long to continue. I try not to exceed 7-8k rpms on the tach. depending on the tire compound on the rear tire (how soft or hard it is) will partitally dictate how long to do it. Also, how much traction do you want. this will be determined by things like rider weight, stock length swing arm or extended, wheel bar, etc. after completing the burnout some people like to ride it off a little by letting the front brake off, I prefer NOT to do this, it is very easy to lose control of the bike and have the rear come around on you. I have personally seen 4 guys lay their bike out sideways doing this at the dragstrip. Use your legs to keep the bike centered until you stop the burn out. keep track of how long you did the burnout before each race, then depending on how well your hole shot went (did you get to much traction :shock: or not enough) you know to do it longer or shorter and at lower or higher rpms. If you're just starting out I would start out shorter times (3-5 sec) and work up so you don't surprise yourself and get to much traction and bring up the front to much.

thats my thoughts, like I said a lot of it will depend on personal preference so you will hear difference ways to achieve the same thing. Most of all be conservative and safe - alway better to screw up a hole shot and lose the race (theirs always another race/day) then to bring the bike over and hurt yourself or the bike and maybe not be able to race for weeks or months.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I prefer rolling burnouts. They are kind of scary at first but once you get use to them they are cool to do. I roll out in first or second then grab the clutch give it the juice and pop the clutch. It will spin forever and in a straight line. Give it a shot. You'll love it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the info guys

i'll have to give it a try sometime - that rolling burnout sounds sweet! :twisted:

doesn't it wear the stock clutch out quickly though? or not? so basically you are riding in a straight line, you rev up heaps, engage the clutch, rev, disengage or what??? :?:

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Shouldn't hurt the clutch Blue, doing wheelies would be harder on the clutch.
That's another reason to put a bit of fluid down. Once the clutch is engaged thats it, then you just control things with the throttle. If you don't want to use the front brake just put the front wheel up against a wall.
Try it you will like it.
Maybe we could have an international burnout contest? :D :D

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'll definitely give the burn out a try...however, now i'm interested in what i have to do exactly to get the roll on burn out going! :twisted:

i tried it but i don't think i did it right as nothing really happened (i obviously didn't do it right!!!)

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
As an X hooligan...grown up now(YAH RIGHT!!) :lol: , here is my say on this subject. Burnouts should probably be anyones first stunt they learn. It's by far the easiest.
With the ZX12R, I will generaly only smoke em just before I change to a new one. People on the street will always beg for a burnout but I simply say ..HEY...it's harder to try and not get the 12 to light up, and if someone flicks me a $200.00 bill, then I will gladly grenade a tire in less than 10 minutes.
Now...the hardest thing about it is learning to control front brake and throttle at the same time. Believe it or not there are alot of riders(climed experienced) that can not do this. You can notice these people while stopped on a hill and holding the rear brake down instead of the front.
Anyways..get used to that and then do as others mentioned here. Style is just prefference after you get the feel. Start with both feet planted and a few (4,000 rpm's) and let the clutch out quick. Nothing needed to be done after that exept moderate the throttle for effect.
Once you get used to this, try picking a foot off the ground and leaving it on the peg. Very slowly release the front brake(i'm talking tiny bit here) just enough to start feeling the bike go foward. This is when I will put both feet on the peg. Sounds hard but it's easy after you get rid of the fear. The reason for this is Gyroscopic force/rotation. An example....I have a cycle trainer for bicycles that i use in the winter months to train on. It has two rollers that the back tire sits on. Theres no strap. You lean up against a wall to get on the bike, then you start peddaling. Almost instantly the bike will stay up on it's own...hence Gyroscopic force.
Now, once both feet are on the pegs and the tire still spinning and a slight foward motion, stand up. This will allow you to position your weight slightly foward and also give you better control and sense of balance. From there you will be able to control the attitude of the rear tire. Turning the front wheel slightly and moving the back with your body will make it so you can do "doughnuts" figure eights...anything. Sounds hard but it's by far safer and easier to do than planting your feet on the ground.
A few years ago, I had a kid tell me he could do a better doughnuts with his feet planted on the ground, than I could do standing on the pegs. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: well, he dumped his bike after getting his feet all mixed up trying to push the bike around. I just gracefully spun round and around until I got nervous my tire was going to POP.
Either way...becareful, practice, and don't be affraid to ask someone ????...it's much smarter than having an ego and dumping the bike.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks Fellas

Thanks for all the info fellas, now I've just gotta wait until my tyre start getting old :wink:

·
Registered
759 Posts
The 12 doesnt need anything to enhance a burnout, Can you say HorsePower??? I Knew you Could...

For you beginners pour water on the ground and put the back tire in it and try a burnout...That way if you let up on the front brake by accident it doesnt hook up on you and possibly wreck your 12...

The higher the RPM the easier the burnout...In the water bring the rpms to 5000 get a firm hold on the brake and just let the clutch out fast...

On the black top, bring the rpms to 8000 and let her rip...

DONOT do a burnout on concrete!!!...You get too much traction and it chews up your tire!!!...Burnouts on concrete is the fastest way to a new tire!!!

CrotchRocket

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
now for my $.02

Please do not go rolling down the road in 1st -- rev up the motor and "pop" the clutch...you're going to end up on your back or dump the bike on its side.

Second -- try any burnouts on the flattest section of road possible. Once the tire starts to spin, it is going to spin downhill (path of least resistance).

Third -- start slow. If the tire is spinning slow any changes will happen slowER. If you turn the tire up to 50 mph and it starts to go sideways --- its gone before you get the chance to save it. But go slow at first, then work your way up to screaming smokie burnouts.

Best of luck to you. These are just my observations - I don't have a burnout-Bible and am not an expert.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Here's a site with 'how to' and a couple of video's.

Burn-out 101

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
with all that is mentioned above I'll just add that if you can stand
flat footed, or shift your weight forward on the front of the bike it is much easier to get the burnout started...

and you can ask my buddy Roy, do not park or stand directly behind a
12 while a burnout is being conduted :lol:

·
Registered
14,645 Posts
since i b a cheap Mo-Fo i dont do burnouts tires cost too much.....shit i dont even know how to do them and i dont wanna learn...for that matter dont know how to wheelie and again dont wanna learn....give me a straight line and i will twist it till she cant go no more!!! :twisted:

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
I try not to do them as tires are expensive, but every now and then I have to do it anyway. I won't wet the tire on the 12 to do a burnout.

·
Registered
568 Posts
My biggest fear of doing the burnout is I am afraid of a sudden hook-up and flipping me over backwards. Anybody had that happen? Rev the piss out of it, dump the clutch and be looking at the sky instead of hearing the sound of screeching rubber. :?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts