Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, looks like I need a new set of rubbers for my baby. There are way too many options for me to wrap my head around and I honestly wouldn't know the difference between them lol

Anyone else running a ZX14 with a tire preference that they'd be willing to share?

Thanks guys and gals! :king:

·
Registered
577 Posts
My last three sets were PR3s. The new PR4 boasts more mileage without a sacrifice in grip so those will be next set.

·
Registered
571 Posts
all depends on type of riding you do

I currently have on Roadsmarts & they perform well for me

but Im going to try the Pirelli Angel GT's next

I do mostly touring , mostly dry conditions, not knee dragging on the 14, so Im after pretty good mileage and decent grip

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I just order a set of Pirelli rosso II. This is the first set so I can't comment on anything. These are the ones I've been on for several years on the 12r and I love them. So I'm hoping for the same on the 14r.

Lou

·
Registered
2 Posts
ive ran shinko oo3 soft tires on my 9r and love them... can lean in a corner and am so confident that it will bite... but it has alot to do with what kind of riding or racing you are going to do...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mechelin introducesa a new tire before I wear out the last ones, PR2, PR3, both excellent traction wet or dry.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses guys. I usually just cruise around, but I do like to go through corners pretty hard (as hard as one can on a 14 :lol:) and given the chance, I will open that bitch up and pin that needle :crazyloco: :lol:

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, so after all of your wonderful help and some of my own research, I've come down to these two tires. I'm not necessarily ordering from this site, but this was the best way to show the tires that I was stuck between.

I'm leaning towards the Pirelli, they seem more suited towards my riding style. However, I don't know nearly enough about the Avon's to know how they compare.

Avon 3D Ultra Super Sport Motorcycle Tire - BikeBandit.com

Pirelli Diablo Rosso II Motorcycle Tire - BikeBandit.com

Let the voting begin? :lol:

·
Registered
577 Posts
The 3D Ultras are nifty... was my first set after the stock tires ground down.

The sipes on the sides of the rear are partially covered. As you wear the tire you expose more sipes. I got 3000 miles out of the set.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Are you planning on sticking with the 190/50 or going 190/55? I have the Pirelli rosso 180/55 on the 12r and love it so i ordered the 190/55 for the 14r. They should arrive next week.

Lou

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Not a fan of the PR series for sport riding. Profile is too round. PP3s are perfect but don't last if you're heavy on the throttle in straight lines.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you planning on sticking with the 190/50 or going 190/55? I have the Pirelli rosso 180/55 on the 12r and love it so i ordered the 190/55 for the 14r. They should arrive next week.

Lou
More than likely going with a 190/55, just to get more lean into the corners. But my concern is the tire wearing down too quickly through the center, as I do enjoy the straight line as well.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not a fan of the PR series for sport riding. Profile is too round. PP3s are perfect but don't last if you're heavy on the throttle in straight lines.
I don't ride too crazy like, really only push it hard with straight line acceleration. I live in DE, so finding corners is pretty hard, but lots of straight roads.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 3D Ultras are nifty... was my first set after the stock tires ground down.

The sipes on the sides of the rear are partially covered. As you wear the tire you expose more sipes. I got 3000 miles out of the set.
I actually had to google search what you meant by "sipes"... glad I did :lol:, definitely leaning towards the 3D Ultras... but still have time before I make the choice. Thanks for the response, just learned something new! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi pilots!

My tires are original but from my point of view the michelin pilot power 3 is the best tires of the moment. The durability And the grip are very good. Meanwhile, this tyres comply All conditions also.

My best regards,
Leandro
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Felt like I should update this...

Ended up going with Dunlop Sportmax Q3's. Gotta say, I really like the tire. Lots of confidence in the corners and decent amount of grip when taking off in the straights.

Been too busy riding to jump back on and let everyone know what I went with. Sorry about that, cause I know it was on all of your minds... :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi pilots!

My tires are original but from my point of view the michelin pilot power 3 is the best tires of the moment. The durability And the grip are very good. Meanwhile, this tyres comply All conditions also.

My best regards,
Leandro
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
I agree!!!

If you're into twisties or just like to lean hard, the Michelin Pilot Power 3's offer superior side-grip for street tires. I have them on two bikes running about 32 PSI cold and they stick tenaciously out to the extreme edges on dry roads. If you get PP3's, you'll be impressed, other riders will be impressed, and women will swoon and call you Valentino! Honest injun. :evil:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Well I put 1000 miles on the Pirelli Rossi and love them. I took them through N. H. And did all kinds of riding . Traction was fabulous. I hit tight turns, long sweepers, and straights up to 180mph. Not one issue. These are going to be it for the 14r just like my 12r.

Lou

·
Registered
498 Posts
So, looks like I need a new set of rubbers for my baby. There are way too many options for me to wrap my head around and I honestly wouldn't know the difference between them lol

Anyone else running a ZX14 with a tire preference that they'd be willing to share?

Thanks guys and gals! :king:
Pirelli rosso corsas,190/55 on the rear.
I thought they may have trouble with the extra weight of the 14r,but they are bloody perfect,especially on full lean,you feel safe as houses.
I track day mine on them and use them for road,mileage isn't as good as others but the overall qaulity of ride is well worth it.
I'm on my 5 th set now,be difficult to go to anything else.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts