Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

ALWAYS WEAR YOUR GEAR - When the bike fares better than you coming off a 4th gear wheelie....you're too f*ckn stupid to wear your gear.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Damn Tain, ruff memory huh? I think I would be a little shy to getting back on for quite awhile after a spill like that. Glad you are still with us after that get off

·
Registered
19,235 Posts
Nasty injuries Tainnukie. Is it OK to provide some details (e.g., How it happened, speed, what you were wearing, etc.)? If I being too nosey, please forgive me.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok Guys here's the deal. I used to ride in Greenville, NC with all my college boys. We got pretty good and long wheelies, standup, one hand, etc. I had a full face helmet, gloves, T-shirt and Cargo pants (you know...just the gear every squid wears for wheelie tricks.

On this day, we spent about 2 hrs tearing the road up. Found a nice isolated stretch of perfectly flat smooth road - about 2 miles long and I was going to learn to switch gears on the back tire.

Aside -- now, nobody told me you could change gears w/out using the clutch. So I picked it up in 2nd at about 65 and rode it most of the way thru the RPM's - powershifted into 3rd and it came real real high...but I was still up. So, naturally I was going to keep going ... bang grabbed 4th and the bike was sailing in the wind. It started to drift left across the Yellow and I decided it was time to set it down.

Here's where it gets fuzzy. I remember seeing the gas cap flapping left to right (only thing I could see). Then, sky - I can tell you that I was thinking, "Shit, now you know what it feels like to wreck a streetbike." Exactly what I said while airborne :lol - Next, I saw my headlight and the rest was a 400ft tumble down the street.

I stood up at the end, in the middle of the street, and saw hamburger meat pretty much everywhere. Both arms, knees, back, butt, both calves. Tore thru my gloves (but they lasted just long enough). I thought I was fine, just raw, till I took a step on my right leg. Words cannot describe what that was like. I split my shin (tibia) inside the ankle joint - think butterflied - and crushed my fibia.

45 minutes for the ambulance to get to us and about the same length ride to the hospital. One surgery, 9 screws and a metal plate in the ankle (permanent), about a month of silver sulfadiazine burn cream (changed 2x daily), 3 months in a chair and 8 months of physical therapy.

Ankle hurts when it rains and I am on it for extended periods of time. You wouldn't notice the burns if I didn't tell you and I am still riding WITH GEAR EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Thanks for all the kind words. But in the great wisdom of Forrest Gump - Stupid is as stupid does. I am not going to win any wheelie contests anymore and I like to keep my skin on me and not the street.

Ride Safe

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Amen Brother...
I hate seeing those things happen but atleast you were able to learn something from it .....WEAR THE GEAR!!
Now, about that wheelie contest thing.......... :lol:

·
Registered
19,235 Posts
Tainui, A big sincere thanks for posting this wake-up call. You might be keeping other folks from making a big mistake. I hope you fully recover.

·
Registered
18,639 Posts
Damn dude :shock: Were those posted back not long after it happened because I seem to remember some pix like those. How are ya doing these dayz?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its been 2 yrs and things are really quite good. I am glad to have had the good fortune I have seen and everything worked out fine.

Thanks for the positives.

·
4,208 Posts
wouldnt know what to do if I didnt have my lil bro riding by my side.......although he can't run worth a shit......He has learned leaps and bounds......Now that just makes me faster ......Both By Bike ...and on Foot......LOL....Brian

·
Registered
561 Posts
:arrow: :shock:

Point taken :!:

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Hey Tai, I'm glad you walked away from that.....

That was some serious rash.... :cry:

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
Tai, thanks for posting this. I'm going to show it to the wifey and tell her
that is why I force her to wear gear every time we ride now.
She hates it, but she has never crashed either, neither have I.
I was lucky for years wearing t-shirts and shorts.
I must be getting skeered in my old age :oops:
but I wear the gear everytime now.

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
TAI Did you regain full normal feeling in your feet??????? I know strange question but I have my reasons....

G

·
0 Posts
Glad you walked away from that one Tanui. I alway's wear my gear. And good reminders like that are the reason why. Glad that get off didn't keep you down for long.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Richard -- funny you should mention that about feeling in the feet. They put two screws in the shin to hold the pieces together, and the inntermost one must have caught a nerve . :lol: Cause when I scratch the ball of my foot - I can feel it on top of my foot by the screw.

I suppose I could complain - but it makes me chuckle and its just one of those wierd things that you learn to live with.

But I have normal sensation and can move everything fine - only a slight limitation in toes up and toes down range of motion.

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
I have the same trouble with range of motion... Someone could grab one of my toes on either foot and I couldn't tell which toe they have... Its like my feet are totally asleep all the times ouns and needles feeling... Thats why I asked.. Also on my shin area I have a numb spot with not much feeling...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts