Kawasaki World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I have my first official track day planned and am prepping my bike this week. Tires from Mamba are on (Mich. Pilots, 180 flavor in back). Thanks again man! Can't wait to try 'em out.

I know seveal guys have track day experience on the 12 and I am looking for advice here, suspension settings most of all. I am 150 lbs. and already have compresion and rebound on the harsh side. What are the good/bad sides if running the thing so stiff for my weight. I have no idea how it will effect this bike and can only compare the feeling of set up to moto-x. Any help would be greatly appreciated. North Florida Motor Sports Park, October 26th and 27th, if anyone else is interested. (School and track day combined)

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
x-mxboy,
What model of 12 are you riding? The '02 model has different suspension settings compared to the '00 and '01.
Regards
Ted

·
Registered
703 Posts
Here's my 2 cents,

You DO NOT want the compression damping too "stiff". The forks must be able to "follow" ripples and bumps in the pavement so the front tire remains in contact with the ground. If the front end loses traction you WILL have a scare at the least. Adding a little compression damping is ok, just don't get carried away.

I usually have to add alot more rebound damping then compression, about 3 clicks of rebound for every click of compression. With rebound damping, too much is also bad and will cause the suspension to "pack down" because it can't cycle back to it's normal position quickly enough after compressing.

If the suspension only cycles once over a moderate bump, (instead of going up & down several times) your probably in the ballpark. You should not be feeling "wallowing" or sharp "jolts" either.

Adding a little preload to the rear may be a good thing for you as well since it will increase rear ride height a little. That will make the bike turn in a little quicker. I wouldn't think you would need any front preload given your weight.

Take your toolkit to the track and make a few adjustments while your there, that's what I do. Just remember to make one change at a time and don't make any drastic changes to anything. Take a little note pad to scribble down what settings feel best. Then the next time you can just "dial it in" and go or keep adjusting from there!

FYI: I ride a YZF600R, but IN GENERAL these concepts apply to all sportbikes. Just go a little firmer than usual, but not stiff......especially since your on the light side. It took me several trips to the track to figure out what the best settings for mine are. The settings recommended in my owners manual were fairly good, but did require a few "tweeking" sessions".

Above all else HAVE FUN and enjoy your bike the way it was meant to be ridden!!

G

·
0 Posts
Have fun dude. I wish I could go with you.

I like my suspension real stiff. Also I highly recommend steel braided
lines. They are well worth the $.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate all the tips Denver, I am on an '00 model 12. I feel really comfortable with the set-up I have now, for the street anyway. I will back off on the rebound and definately make adjustments at the track. I have so much to learn it's not even funny but that's why I'm going. I live in an area with tons of well paved, very curvy roads and just the ride home from the shop on the new tires made me question wheter or not I was on the same bike, LOVE those tires. Hopefully all will go well and I can give everyone a report when I get back. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Enjoy yourself dude!
Just be safe and not get too carried away! I look forward to your report. I did my first track day in August and loved every minute! Roll on the next one!
Regards
Ted

1 - 9 of 9 Posts