Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone here tried the 17t and not been happy with it ( and returned to the 18 )? just wondering...

i've gone to the 17th and am pretty happy with the difference ( after all - i don't ride at 300kmph all the time! ) :D

·
Registered
19,235 Posts
Here's where Ninja Dude kicks my ass. But, I have temporarily removed the 17 toofer and shoved back on the stock 18 toofer until I procure a yellow box so as not to run up fictitious miles on the odometer. Plus, I have the undamped version of the 17 toofer and want to get the damped version. I could feel a slight vibration with the undamped version. However, I was pleased with the extra "get up and go."

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Try a 16 boys..... You remember the change between 18 to 17.... You can have the same again with the 17 to 16 change... Makes you do this :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
19,235 Posts
Decreasing sprocket radii definitely increases chain stress and fatigue. I do not know what the chain material's physical properties are. Therefore, I do not know if running a 16 tooth sprocket is significantly harmful. But, I can tell you it will have some negative impact on chain longevity.

·
Registered
19,235 Posts
No excuse - just a word of caution. Also, I would advise you to regularly inspect chain. I replaced the cases on my little 60 hp CB750 four times due to chain failures. It was not cheap and very labor intensive. You lose the cases on a 12 and you will cry. :(

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
MarkCBXX1zx12R said:
Decreasing sprocket radii definitely increases chain stress and fatigue. I do not know what the chain material's physical properties are. Therefore, I do not know if running a 16 tooth sprocket is significantly harmful. But, I can tell you it will have some negative impact on chain longevity.
What about going bigger on the rear.. say 48 toofer and a 17 front?

·
Registered
123 Posts
the piece of metal infront of your chain that holds all that oil in the motor.

·
Registered
19,235 Posts
:oops: Sorry Voz. I mean crankcase. Whenever the chained failed on my CB750 the end of the chain whip-lashed the crankcase, resulting in a hole about 2 inches in diameter in the crankcase. Crankcases had to be replaced. I'm just a bit conservative now in my golden years. I prefer piece of mind over a little extra acceleration.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts