Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I've been away for a while, but finally dug my old zx12 out of mothballs. Here is the old story: http://kawasakiworld.com/nos-turbo/48350-budget-zx12-turbo-build.html.

Basically I tore the bike down to the frame to do the proper welding for the frame. The bike sat for a couple years with little spurts of progress here and there. Recently I finally started putting it back into a running bike and figured I would post up the progress.

Frame after welding

I slammed the bike together pretty quick but I am still fixing old problems, restoring little issues, and as always making a few modifications here and there.

ZX9 swingarm swap, rebuilt caliper, and new EBC pads:

All in all just a functional restoration so far. A lot of painting, wiring, and welding. I have new fairings, seats, headlight, and a bunch of other little parts. I just want to have a nice little ZX12 to be proud of.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Why a 9R swingarm?
It is basically a direct swap, slightly shorter, and a braced arm. The ZX9 arm looks better in my opinion and I like the top mount caliper. FYI Texlurch did a nice write up on the ZX9 arm. a while ago. He figured out the spacers, brake, etc. and was nice enough to share the info.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let's do some riding when you're done, you can fly wild weasel with your badge :thumbup:
Haha I am always up for a ride. I don't know if I will have it done before they close Wolf Creek.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
That swingarm does look nice. But I'm not so positive SHORTER with a turbo is the best idea, lol...

Btw, where is the shock mounted at?

Good luck with the rebuild. Looking good so far. You are giving me a ton of motivation to do a home built turbo on mine.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That swingarm does look nice. But I'm not so positive SHORTER with a turbo is the best idea, lol...

Btw, where is the shock mounted at?

Good luck with the rebuild. Looking good so far. You are giving me a ton of motivation to do a home built turbo on mine.
I like the bike SWB for putting around on the street. Bolt-on extensions would get me back to decent length just like a normal zx12/9.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ZX9 shock and undertray

For now I'm using a stock ZX9 shock. I am shopping around for options as far as a stiffer spring/rebuild to support my girth. For now the spring is cranked down and has a .5" spacer on the shock mount The fork is already rebuilt and has 1.1 kg springs.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I bit the bullet and made a new manifold. I stuck with the thin wall stainless as the old one never cracked (despite my flux core welds haha). I made a little merge colelctor and payed a lot more attention to how everything fit on the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Most of the Hong Kong fairings are on along with the new seats. I have been drilling and massaging the CF nose and headlight arrangement. I may wind up making a whole new fairing stay as my OEM stay is so bent out of shape.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Not that I will ever turbo my 12, but I am always in awe of all the blokes on this site who fabricate/weld/modify their 12's with such fantastic skills!

Beautiful work, all of you!

Don.

·
Super Moderator
4,315 Posts
Looking good! love the CF upper!
have you tried bending the stay back in place? A cheater pipe over the ends helps them bend pretty easy. If you get a new one, they're on eBay and Amazon for about $100.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the kind words. The guys and bikes on this site have been a big inspiration as long as I've been here.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looking good! love the CF upper!
have you tried bending the stay back in place? A cheater pipe over the ends helps them bend pretty easy. If you get a new one, they're on eBay and Amazon for about $100.
Haha mine has been bent and re-bent a time or two. I can't seem to find any for an A1, only for 2002 and up. I'm not sure what the difference is. I kind of figure if I am putting a CF nose and a small headlight, why not make a lighter fairing stay. The OEM one is pretty beefy and I'd be nervous to make a skimpy light weight stay that just bends at speed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts