Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been a long time lurker of the site and have been inspired by a lot of the project builds.

So to start, close to a year ago I bought my first bike an 03 ZX12. Before purchasing I had been doing a ton of research on the bike(thanks to site) and learned a bunch. When I made the purchase for my bike the owner told me it was an 03 and the VIN check confirmed it but the bike has 01 fairings. The second I saw this I knew instantly I wanted to change the fairings to the 03 but the previous owner who at the time had 3 zx12's(before I bought mines), zx9, zx10 and a zx14 didn't have another set because all his 12 were converted to the 00-01 fairings.

To make a long post short I decided to purchase fairings a little at a time in order to make my baby look younger(we all know how women get about aging lol).

Here is a pic of the girl the first day I bought her, the previous owner is a car detailer so this her right after a nice bath.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So to start off the rebuild of the bike I decided to buy the best damaged OEM fairings wherever I could find them and fix them if need be. I also needed to change out a few pieces: upper fairing stay, headlight, city light, undertail and brake light (personal preference not because of the body change).

Here are a few of the pieces a little before and after I started putting repairing the fairings. I tried to take good pics of the damage both for my own reference and to maybe show some people what they can do with a little patience and a little youtube know how lol.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Maybe you should dress your big block up with a new dress , 30% bigger ram air ! :lol: could be another 2 mph at the end ?
Hey Maxumis! LOL. The late model body work is awesome! I wonder how it compares in the aero department? I have never seen the ram air on the B model in person, is it bigger?

cmg

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Hey Maxumis! LOL. The late model body work is awesome! I wonder how it compares in the aero department? I have never seen the ram air on the B model in person, is it bigger?

cmg
Hi Cmg , so they say . 30% bigger with better aero's . Ricky Gadson was faster with the B2 in standed form than the A1 . :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Hi Cmg , so they say . 30% bigger with better aero's . Ricky Gadson was faster with the B2 in standed form than the A1 . :thumbup:
The Catalyst racing upper B model has the ram air chin molded into the fiberglass. So you can't use the trick C/F part I see on some of the B models.

cmg

·
Registered
4,011 Posts

I have seen these bikes face to face and I know the B model has a bigger ram snorkel , ps just trying to help ! I will get more info if needed ..

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Man those bikes look the business!!! Yes your bikes inlet is a air grabber!!!
:thumbup:

Both 12 models are excellent looking bikes, imo.

cmg

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
The A model scoop was designed for functionality. I agree with you on taste and not everyone having it!
Not trying to burst your bubble mate but it was changed for a good reason . The first ram air system had a big down fall with cross winds and a lot more !
Each to there own thou ..:thumbup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I've gotten a bunch of work done on the bike although it may not look like much, here are the pieces I have sanded and I've also started on the fairing and tab repair.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is the side portion of the fairing, I used just a sheet of paper to form a template of the shape.

I used a dremel to grind down part of the broken fairing and then built up the new plastic from there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
here is the new plastic fully built up, shaped and sanded smooth

Side shot, it's kind of hard to tell from this pic but the new plastic is the same thickness as the original plastic.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts