Kawasaki World banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my '02 12 developed a valve cover oil leak putting oil on the exhaust and stinking. It's been sitting for about 2 months on a tender and started every other day. Today I went to start it and it turned over tried to run and then quit, moved the choke around and the same thing, tries to run for abut 4 seconds than stops, any ideas? Gas has Sta-bil in just because. Any help would be much appreciated, thanking you in advance. I'm in Arizona so not a lot of humidity, battery is fine.

·
Registered
19,267 Posts
Are you really sure the battery is good? How old is the battery? Do you have a battery load tester/analyzer?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you really sure the battery is good? How old is the battery? Do you have a battery load tester/analyzer?

Hi, distracted by grandkids. Battery is 9 months old and always on tender, after cranking still shows 12.7V, it has always started until now once a day or every other day, still doesn't mean the battery is good though, thanks for reply. It doesn't run as long if I choke or use the enrichner.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Hi, thanks for the reply, the battery is 8 months old, took to have load tested pulled 400 cca and after still had a reading of 12.9 volts. The fuel pump turns on runs for 10 seconds then shuts off, try to start, fuel pump runs again shuts off after 10 seconds. the bike tries to run but quits after about 5 seconds. Started fine for 3 months on tender then this. Any other ideas? Should the fuel pump keep running while starting?? Thanks.again.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you here the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on?

cmg
HI, yes I can hear the pump run, then shuts off after 10 seconds, try to start, pump runs then shuts off after 10 seconds, The battery is good had it load tested. Any other ideas to keep it running??? Thanks.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi, back again. No the red FI light is NOT on. What next please. Thanks.
My bad, it comes on then goes out, until you turn the key off and back on again, then goes out, bike tries to run then shits off.

·
Registered
19,267 Posts
That is the way the FI light is supposed to behave. How long does it run before it shuts down? While it does run, does it sound normal?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is the way the FI light is supposed to behave. How long does it run before it shuts down? While it does run, does it sound normal?

Hi, it runs about 5 seconds, sounds normal, if you try to give it gas dies quickly, choking doesn't help. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
If you don’t give it gas, will it idle normal?

starting to sound like a weak fuel pump..?
In tank filter..?
If you have a service manual, it has a simple flow test to check the pump.

cmg

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

In tank filter..?

cmg
Hi, the bike will not run for more than 5 seconds then dies. If you try to give it gas it dies quicker, choking does not help. I have the Kawi service manual, I will do the pump test and see the results. I will check the filter also. Thanks again for the information.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

In tank filter..?

cmg
Hi, it is an '02 with 41,691 miles and all the original parts, they could be getting tired out here in the heat of Arizona. lol. Than ks again, the tests continue.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
When the tank is lifted. Check: fuel lines; electrical connections; check/change spark plugs; examine vac lines. General goings over?

cmg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts