Votes: 7 29.2%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Site Admin
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rossi set for Bayliss Superbike duel

Eurosport - Thu, 18 Dec 06:34:00 2008

MotoGP champion Valentino Rossi has agreed to a one-off Superbike race against Troy Bayliss, according to reports in Spain.

Solo Moto magazine claims the Italian will take on Bayliss in a head-to-head battle on March 14 in Qatar, saying the deal is "said and done".

The duel will take place during the weekend of the second round of the 2009 Superbike World Championship at the Losail circuit.

Rossi is expected to race a Yamaha R1 - as used by factory riders Tom Sykes and Ben Spies in 2009 - while Bayliss will be on the familiar Xerox Ducati.

Bayliss retired from the World Superbike scene after romping to his third championship in 2008 on the Ducati.

The Australian's dominance of an increasingly competitive series earned him the Rider of the Year award from the well-respected Italian magazine Moto Sprint ahead of Rossi, who won his sixth world championship in MotoGP's premier class, his eighth overall.

The 29-year-old Rossi is thought to be unhappy at the snub, and has agreed to the race in a bid to hammer home his supremacy.

Rossi recently said he was keen to take Bayliss on one-versus-one, telling Corriere dello Sport: "If there was an opportunity and the right date then I would race there tomorrow.

"I like World Superbikes to be mad, I like to watch it and I'd love to ride in it, the problem is the dates.

"I do not know when, but I hope that I can make a race in WSB. I am sad that I would not be able to race against Bayliss on track now because I would like to challenge him on a superbike. Maybe, if I ask him he might even come back for one race for the challenge."

There has been no official confirmation from either rider.

·
8,537 Posts
The Losail track in Qatar is absolutely beautiful. I must admit, last years night motoGP race was one of the few things about my deployment over there that didin't suck.

Yeah, I'm going with The Doctor on this one...

·
Banned
5,436 Posts
My heart says Bayliss but my head says Rossi.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
That is awesome! I'd love to watch! I've always like Bayliss, but I think Rossi will prevail.

·
Site Admin
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rossi could win this on a 18-speed bicycle or a ZX14.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
although it would be sweet, it ain't gonna happen.

logistics...

Ducati: Rossi, Bayliss duel unlikely. | WSBK News | Crash.Net

bayliss wants one million squigglies...

Bayliss: ?I?d need £1million to race Rossi? - Motorcycle Sport

i think both ducati and yamaha are too focused on the '09 wsbk title to worry about expending extra resources for this. i say plunk them both and bone-stock ninja 250's, and let them have a go at each other around a smaller track like valencia at the end of the season.

·
Registered
38 Posts
2003 Moto GP Rossi #1, Bayliss #7
2004 Moto GP Rossi #1, Bayliss #3
2005 Moto GP Rossi #1, Bayliss #15
2006 Moto GP Rossi #1, Bayliss #19

Does anybody see a reason here why he has to prove who is better?
Read the statistics from the site!! I think they speak for themselves.
Nothing against Bayliss, he is a good rider, but does not even come close to the Doctor.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I'd love to race Rossi for $1, on my own bike. Then I'd wager a lump of cash on my victory. The odds would be so astronomical that if he did by chance crash or blow up the bike, I'd make a mint! :D

Hey, it's better odds than the lottery! :D :D

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
No disrespect to argueably the greatest motorcycle rider of all time, Valentino Rossi....but a MotoGP bike and WSB bike are night and day in terms of machinery.

Although Rossi clearly has more talent, Bayliss has the experience (and most importantly, RECENT AND SUCCESSFUL experience) with his WSB Ducati. Rossi would have to learn how to ride a non-electronically assisted bike he's never ridden before with tires he's never used.

I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I'd be shocked if Rossi could beat Bayliss in a WSB race. Keep in mind, Bayliss just won the world championship and has an entire season of races and test/tune sessions with his Ducati..... Rossi hasn't ridden a Yamaha WSB bike, ever.

Not sure how many subscribe to MOTORCYCLIST, but they did a piece on Ben Spies and his MotoGP ride in 08 at the Indy and Laguna GP's. He said his AMA Superbike required much more effort and input to handle while the MotoGP bike did most of the work for him. I'd be curious to see how quickly Rossi could adapt, but no way would he be at world champion-esque level on a WSB bike on day one.

"A fish eats the worm in the sea, but in the mud the worm eats the fish."

·
Registered
284 Posts
No disrespect to argueably the greatest motorcycle rider of all time, Valentino Rossi....but a MotoGP bike and WSB bike are night and day in terms of machinery.

Although Rossi clearly has more talent, Bayliss has the experience (and most importantly, RECENT AND SUCCESSFUL experience) with his WSB Ducati. Rossi would have to learn how to ride a non-electronically assisted bike he's never ridden before with tires he's never used.

I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I'd be shocked if Rossi could beat Bayliss in a WSB race. Keep in mind, Bayliss just won the world championship and has an entire season of races and test/tune sessions with his Ducati..... Rossi hasn't ridden a Yamaha WSB bike, ever.
Cudos to Phantom! Very well put.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So if Bayliss is so good why could he not adapt and win in Moto-GP after four years??? But you say Rossi could not adapt?? Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
phantom...in case you didn't read my last post, rossi jumped from a 500cc 2-stroke to a 4-stroke v-twin superbike midseason and won the 2001 suzuka hour race and was consistently faster than his teammate colin edwards...you may have heard of him; he finished runner-up in the world superbike championship that year. rossi has always been very public in expressing his distaste for the excessive use of electronics in motogp bikes...he much prefers the 'traction control' in his right hand. if this race were to even happen, adapting to an r1 superbike would be a non-issue for rossi.

as for the race itself, i think it would be a toss up. if anything, the two of them would take each other out, and spies would come through for the win.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Steady T- Ok...

500cc 2-stroke = Evil
V twin 4-stroke = Tame

It's no big shocker that it was an easy transition for Rossi, again...he's one of if not "the" best racer in sportbike history... especially since back in 2001, nobody was using the level of sophisticated electronic controls like we've seen over the past few years in MotoGP with their GPS-controlled traction that allows the fine tuning of traction for each corner. The MotoGP bikes of today practically ride themselves with the pilots skill handing the reigns over to the tech guru's in the pits who analyze all the data from test logs.

None of this existed 8 years ago, Rossi has no doubt become accustomed to allowing the bike to do his job for him.... it's the only way to win these days in MotoGP. The days of Nickey Hayden powersliding through turns is long gone and has given way to the smooth controlled preprogramed settings that turn quicker lap times and use up less tire allowing for softer compounds to be used.

You're siting an example of Rossi adapting to a less aggressive machine on less technical tracks in an age when the rider was everything. Ben Spies was recently asked about competing in MotoGP and how he thought he'd fair against the rest of the grid. He replied by stating that in MotoGP, the riders are so good that it all rests on bike set-up and tune. Skill alone will not cut it. In that sense, Rossi is reknown for his ability to work with his team on setting up the bike and fix problems... hence his success when switching from the RC211V to the YZR-M1.

BUT (there's always a "but") a WSB bike is NOT a MotoGP bike and there would be a HUGE learning curve jumping from the techno-dependant riding style he's been using for years now to the rider-dependant riding style used in WSB. Top that off with the fact that Bayliss is in HIS PRIME on a bike that HE KNOWS INSIDE AND OUT and went on to win the WSB championship on......

and Rossi's chances don't look as good as his reputation may lead you to think.

Oh, well... these are just my educated opinions, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
So if Bayliss is so good why could he not adapt and win in Moto-GP after four years??? But you say Rossi could not adapt?? Am I missing something here?

Yes, you are missing something.

Rossi is the better rider, no doubt. What we're all talking about here (in case you've failed to see the bigger picture) is that fact this race puts a big handicap on Rossi due to the fact that he'd be on unfamiliar machinery that requires a completely different riding style than the MotoGP bike's he's been riding for the better part of the last decade.

Bayliss is the CURRENT WSB champion with an entire season on his bike under his belt racing against many former MotoGP riders that made the transition back to WSB. In fact, I don't think there's EVER been as many Ex-MotoGP riders in WSB as there are right now.

Rossi would be adapting (or trying to) to a world where Bayliss is KING.

Could Rossi beat Bayliss 1-on-1 in a regular season with tons of testing/tuning/practice in the offseason? No doubt. Could he do it using Troy Corser's R1 with a couple practice sessions... Not likely.

That's what you're missing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts