Kawasaki World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
o.k what gives here.6 month's ago my bike was leaking oil out the left corner of the valve cover gasket,not bad & not loosing oil between changes,but enough to make a mess.took it in under warranty and had it fixed.lasted 3 month's,started leaking again.took it back and had it fixed under extended warranty.now 3 month's later i go to change my plugs and one of the stick coil boots (#1) had oil on it,just some drops,and again the same side of the valve cover is leaking.The last time i took it in i know the mechanic changed the valve gasket and plug gaskets.thank god it's the 1st plug boot leaking so i can see it easy.its really not that bad,i rode about 100 miles tonite and there was a few drops on the valve gasket,i pulled the boot and it was dry,but i know eventually it will be wet.
anyone have this problem?should i say screw it and take a minute to wipe it down once in a while,or do the inevitable and take her back in?
wish i could figure out why i'm eating gaskets?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Valve Cover

Mine was leaking at 8,000 miles so when I checked the valves I put a new gasket on. I always use a thin bead of silicone sealer all the way around on the head surface before I put the gasket on. I think prolonged idling on the kickstand allows oil pooling on the left side as there are no oil drain back holes there. This was causing the oil to seep under the gasket slightly.

·
Registered
18,644 Posts
Maybe that is the reason why oil leaks in the stator harness. To relieve the pressure instead of blowing the valve cover gaskets. :roll:

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Don't live with an oil leak. That is bullshit.

Is it your left stick that is also leaking now that the left corner isn't?

My gut feeling is your valve cover is warped or damaged.

Let me tell you a little story....

We blew a head gasket on the gixxer6 race bike 2 months ago at 14k rpm. The engine dumped so much water into the engine that it blew a freeze plug in the head, and totally blew out the main shaft seal.

Throughout all that, the valve cover gasket didn't leak a drop....

Point I'm trying to make is you have a low pressure leak. Either your shop is really, really incompetent (possible) or you have a bad valve cover.

Tell your dealer that was 3 strikes, time to move on - you want the valve cover replaced under warranty. If they argue, tell them you'll be on the horn with KAW Customer HQ in Calif. within an hour. And mean it.

A new 11k bike should not leak, a 20k Harley maybe, but no other bike.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
valve cov,leak.

blitz,yes, left plug stickcoil spark plug leak,and left,clutch side,valve cover leak right where the curve is on the side closest to the front.i remember the mechanic calling kawi last time cuz it was back after 3 months,and he said that they told him to just replace the gaskets.he also said and this sounds fishy they told him not to use any kind of sealer on the valve cover gasket.i think blitz is right its either needing sealer or my valve cover is warped there.guess its time to drop her off for a week.these warranty jobs suck,most dealers make you leave the bike,cuz they order parts and some people get them to order parts and dont take the bike back in, making dealer eat part cost,and no pay for them under warranty from kwak.so you gotta leave it unless they really trust and know you,and this time it goes elsewhere,so i wil be a newbie.thanks for input fellas.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Mach...What oil are you using???

I have the same problem and changed the gasket, and its still leaking...

The reason why its leaking is because of the synthetic oil I am using!!!...As soon as I switched to synthetic the leak started!!!...The synthetic oil is thinner, therefor lubricating the engine better...Some guys have the stator wire leak, some have the valve cover leak!!!...I believe its due to the synthetic oil we all use!!!

If your using regular oil then you should get to the bottom of the problem...I wash my 12 often and clean the area the best I can...

CrotchRocket

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
I've been using syn for a year now, and I got no leaks and no oil in my stator connector......

:shock:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oil

c.r,i use mobil mx4t now.at 5k i switched to syn,and i cannot say for sure but maybe that is when it started,possibility?yes. before 5k i ran reg.oem oil from dealer,than at 5k motul for a bit,than a stretch with oem synthetic,bike didnt like it so went to mobil and stuck to it.it's possible, yes sir.it is possible too as blitz said it may need grease,maybe in production some of the valve covers on the line were screwed up?
dam this sounds all too familiar on this site with some bikes doing it some not!
just like that p.c thing and starting issues and etc.. etc....
i think kawi is notorious for these little things.fast bike,
other parts????????????????????????????

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hey Blitz, I understand what you are saying, but I have just come across the same problem and I also thought it was the oil. 1 time before it came from the stator, but this time it has come from the valve gasket cover in the exact same place. But I always notice that when the oil is fresh, I don't see a drop. When it gets to be 2,000 miles or more, it starts leaking.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hey Blitz, I understand what you are saying, but I have just come across the same problem and I also thought it was the oil. 1 time before it came from the stator, but this time it has come from the valve gasket cover in the exact same place. But I always notice that when the oil is fresh, I don't see a drop. When it gets to be 2,000 miles or more, it starts leaking.

·
Registered
19,235 Posts
What Blitz specified. IMHO, it ain't the oil. Something is not fitting correctly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts