Kawasaki World banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cleaning the monster and notice an oil trail looked her over and found a leak from the valva cover gasket my ? is how hard is it to change the valva cover gasket also it has been on my mind to upgrade thinking about selling my girl she is an 04 silver with 11xxx miles on her minor damage from falling over but she still can gets her looks

·
Registered
440 Posts
cleaning the monster and notice an oil trail looked her over and found a leak from the valva cover gasket my ? is how hard is it to change the valva cover gasket also it has been on my mind to upgrade thinking about selling my girl she is an 04 silver with 11xxx miles on her minor damage from falling over but she still can gets her looks
Dont sell her cause of that stupid oil leak!! I say stupid cause they get that leak. Its not a matter of if its just a matter of when. They are kinda a pain to change out cause its so tight. I just paid a shop to do it cause it was hard to get me big ol hands in there and work. But you can do it yourself and save some $$ but be prepaired the gasket alone if I'm not misstaken was around $50

·
Registered
50 Posts
yeap; i paid $55 for my gasket and then $8 each for the spark plug gaskets which with 11,000 you should change along with the spark plugs while youre in there. and it is very tight fit in there, but i did mine myself. mine was leaking when i bought it at 12,800 miles. the cam sensor o-ring likes to leak too.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
no big deal,just do it.i have 54000 miles now.change mine every time i take the lid off for valve adjustment.4x i believe.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
They leak. Took me about 6 hours to do the swap the first time....but now that she is leaking again (after only 6,ooo miles or so....and after the Ultra Copper) I know how to do it...:thumbup:

Yep, get the gasket and the lil ones for the plug holes.....mine had only 13k on it when I bought it, and it was hard as a rock and cracked to beat the band...new one is getting stiff already too...stupid design if you ask me, but what can ya do....

·
Registered
454 Posts
pretty easy as long as you have gotten rid of smog crap. as for cost on new valve cover gaskets. cheapest place i found is thru Autumn at m43 powersports. my last quote from her was 42 shipped. number is 517-925 8154

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Another part to look at replacing are the small washers that go with the bolts that hold the V/cover down; these tend to get squashed after a while and you will notice that the bolts will only screw down so far - thus if the washers (rubber/metal combo I think), if already squashed, tend to be a bit loose and therefore the cover doesn't really seal as tightly as it should.

At least that's what I have found, so I have replaced the rubber washers that go over the spark plug well area (double circle looking washers with small/large circles that Jakes2000ZX12R refers to), and the bolt washers - so far no leak problems, and I tend to do my own valve clearance checks every second service (12k KMS).

Don.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Good call on the cover bolt gaskets/washers....:thumbup:

I had 2 that were leaky, and still are, but will be replacing all this time I'm in there...

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
They leak. Took me about 6 hours to do the swap the first time....but now that she is leaking again (after only 6,ooo miles or so....and after the Ultra Copper) I know how to do it...:thumbup:

Yep, get the gasket and the lil ones for the plug holes.....mine had only 13k on it when I bought it, and it was hard as a rock and cracked to beat the band...new one is getting stiff already too...stupid design if you ask me, but what can ya do....
doesnt sound like you had your parts clean enough? what did you do to the surfaces before you used ultra copper? next time use ultra black, its better for contact with oil

·
Registered
379 Posts
My '04 with 43k miles and no leaks anywhere. Has the original valve cover gasket which has been off 3-4 times. The secret is to use silcone "grease" not silcone glue or any other type of sealant. Clean well with silcone spray then clean lands with tooth brush and silcone spray. Coat well with silcone "grease", lay gasket in carefully then progressively torque cover per service manual using proper sequence.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts