Kawasaki World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the motor removed and just finished shimming the valves. took the intake off to clean and discovered every intake valve has a build up of gummy crap. I have never seen any indication of smoke from the exhaust and the bike runs good, well, at least it did before I took it apart ....

I bought the bike last year and this is the first time I have had it apart. I find it odd all of the intake seals would be gone , could there be another cause for the gum?

If I wait until after the riding season to replace the seals can it do any damage?

If I ensure I close each valve can I manually clean up the gum ?
Appreciate any suggestions thanks guys.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Can you post a picture? I will tell you that most zx12r run pretty rich from the factory. It isn't uncommon to see dark black in the combustion chambers.

However a gummy build-up, sounds like a fuel additive that might have been added before you purchased to try and clean up an idle problem, etc.

Would really need to see a Pic on that.

I will also say, I have seen oils that produce that jelly looking substance that you see when you take the valve cover off. Never in a motorcycle, but cars and Pennzoil, yes.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Jpowell is right. It sounds fuel related.
How many miles? Probably cheap fuel build up. close the valve knock off the junk and vacuum it out. Don’t scratch the valve stems.

cmg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys I really didnt want to pull the head! I will carefully clean them up and carry on like I know what I am doing lol.
Just wanted to say I am a big fan of both of you, have read pretty much every post you guys have added has been invaluable to me in extending my limited knowledge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts