Kawasaki World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not looking for a flame war about Bear vs Muzzy or being a bad man by copying patented parts but, has anyone "printed" these parts? Why doesn't Bear do this? I realize Muzzy is no more.

Why are they made of anodized Al. (they are breathtaking no doubt) and not plastic or other material? Surface finish?

What is the difference in a long and short stack? How do they fit up when the air-box surface and the throttle bodies are all the same distance apart?

Personally I bought a set of 04-06 long Bear stacks so I don't need any, but my work machinist has a 3D scanner/printer salesman coming in for a demo and was looking for example parts to scan and print. I am going to provide a velocity stack to make for kicks.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I'm no expert, but from what I understand long vs short is how much it protrudes into the frame. Longer being just like longer intake runners, which has been shown to give more torque but less high RPM hp.

Obviously 3D printing is not BRAND new, but it's still fairly new. Muzzy's is now gone. I assume BEAR is still just rocking what he knows. Perhaps guys like Brocks are maybe looking into 3D stuff (probably not for the 12R though, these bikes are dinosaurs). One thing to consider, and I know it keeps getting better and better, is the stregth of the printed material. How is that plastic going to hold up vs aluminum? When we talk about something that needs to potentially last a LONG time. There is no doubt aluminum pieces will most likely outlive the bike. Can you say the same about printed bits? Sun, rain, vibrations, flex, etc.... I could see cracked pieces very likely.

I personally would be very interested in hear how your project turns out. If nothing else, it'll be a cool piece on your desk.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I love 3D printing!!

Having my teeth straightened with these 3D printed things right now!

On topic....
Aren't the OEM items plastic?
If the material is an issue, you can 3D print in metal right?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Following.

Definitely a cool idea. I personally wouldn't mind a small 3D printed zx12 paperweight, ha. I don't see any issue with having printed stacks, the longevity of the material is where my concern would be like what HIBS said.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
WAAAY Ahead of you!! Pierre is already Using a "Serious" 3D Printer and making parts in Nylon, Carbon Fiber Mix and Pure Carbon Fiber

Mostly for H2 but is also making a few parts for the ZRX1100 / 1200 & ZX12R

Attachments

·
Registered
6,265 Posts
so bear is doing the upgrade kit for rickey?

·
Registered
6,265 Posts
overdriving a supercharger

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
overdriving a supercharger
Correct and it is not a "Printed" Gear. It is a Serious Rockwell Hardness gear that actually makes Lrss Gear noise than the OEM because it is F-1 made Quality. 1 tooth smaller for the Driven gear with the Stacks and "Correct" Fueling and Timing retard make about 25 hp more in H-1

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
The supercharger gear is crafted from which material?
A proprietary Steel that is made under Special Conditions and then Hardened to BEAR's Specs with each and Every piece tested for Hardness and strength because No Failures are allowed. Very Expensive process similar as in Formula 1.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts