Kawasaki World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, what do you guys do.......after the bike sits in the garage all night and you decide to take it to work. How long do you let the thing warm up for, fast idle or no fast idle, if fast idle how long do you leave it on for ?? What is the "proper" way ? Oh and say the temp. is around 80 deg outside also, that may be a big part of it too !!

·
Registered
87 Posts
hey

hey man i know that i have 954 but i think this is true with all bikes. i usually let mine warm up to 170 or so( usual running temp 180). then take it easy the first mile and your there. that way the engine is ready and not cold at all. i did this with my 929 last year and never had any probs. this is just my way of doin it. may be a different way ????

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
let it fast idle until the temp hand moves, then back off to 1,050 rpm idle until temp hand is at about 8:00 , let the tires get a little heat in them before getting crazy :wink: .....

·
Registered
25 Posts
I follow about the same procedure as mwrzx12, with the addition to his story that I also make sure I don't fast idle too high when first starting the bike.
It takes a little bit of educated guesswork how far to pull the lever but I usually manage to start my bike with one push of the button and immdiately idling it at 1500 rpm... So no real high revs that Kawi is 'famous' for on older carburetor bikes :oops:
I also back of a little to 1100rpm when the 8:00 mark is reached, then start driving taking it easy, and push back the fast idle when I'm out of the street that I live in.
By that time the engine is warm enough and never stalled on me at the first traffic light or something.

Regards, Dutch

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
I get up and go to work by 5:15 a.m. Mon-Fri. Get my act together, pick out a point at the end of the driveway, and run like hell. Just when I get to that point, I hit the start button. Idle down to the corner. Forgot to mention, I take the KLR to work. :lol: Just trying to be a good neighbor. 7 years of doing that, no warm ups, nothing but oil changes. She's a tuff old girl.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
I fire her up and warm it up until the temp needle ticks twice, then I'm gone. This usually takes about 1.5 minutes or so.

* Note: If it is Saturday or Sunday morning, I pull it out of my garage and point the exhaust at my Harley lovin' neighbors bedroom window. Its my little way of telling him I enjoy listening to him rev his open piped V-twin in his driveway for 15 minutes everytime he goes for a ride. :shock:

·
Registered
80 Posts
fast idle

I us the choke for a bout 30 if is runs with out stalling i go hop on and gooooooooooooooooooooooo :lol:

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I havent had any problems with her yet ( as Avenger knocks on desk ) never has stalled on me yet ( on its own anyway ) But my situation is this, I get up a 6am for work and start the bike up around 6:20, put my riding gear on and then go usually around 5 min later. The possible bad part is, I only work about a mile or two away, no highway, all 35 mph zones ( noticed I said zones, not drive 35 mph ) she sits all day till time to go home then I kinda take the long way home. I was just wondering if I may be hurting the bike more than anything else by not "riding" it on my way to work. And as far as warming up goes, the temp gauge really doesnt move too much if any before I jump on it and go to work.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
Well, I'll add 2 more of my cents, but take it for what it is as I don't really know this motor too well yet. In all likelihood, you are fine doing what you are doing. If I were you, I would try to start the bike early enough so that, when you leave, you are up to the normal running temperature. This is good for several reasons...1) you are getting the oil up to operating temp and burning off condensation and 2) Once everything is warm, it's happy. You are at a far lesser risk of doing internal damage to the engine if you wait for it to be in the normal operating range, espically if you are taching the motor on the way in. Always taking real short trips, like one to two miles, aren't the greatest thing for your engine, be it gas or diesel. If you can take a good 30 mile ride at least once per week, it will be better for it's total life expectancey. Another good preventative measure for you would be to change the oil more frequently, rather than on a mileage count only. Again, just my opinion.

Scott W.

G

·
0 Posts
I only live a short distance away from work(1 mile)so I don't bother
taking the 12.But my warm up is pretty basic - Start on fast idle and
run it around 1300~1500rpm until the needle moves twice ,then I'll
CRUISE off and not run it hard for at least 2/3miles.
Just a point: you're temp gauge is you're water temp,NOT you're
oil temp- it takes longer for the oil to come up to its "running" temp
than the coolant.

If you're not breakin' the law you're not riding!!

·
Registered
468 Posts
psycho12r said:
I only live a short distance away from work(1 mile)so I don't bother
taking the 12.But my warm up is pretty basic - Start on fast idle and
run it around 1300~1500rpm until the needle moves twice ,then I'll
CRUISE off and not run it hard for at least 2/3miles.
Just a point: you're temp gauge is you're water temp,NOT you're
oil temp- it takes longer for the oil to come up to its "running" temp
than the coolant.

If you're not breakin' the law you're not riding!!
water temp hey? interesting - i'll have to wait longer than i used to now to make sure i don't damage my engine. thanks for the info! :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Fire it up on fast idle. Temp guage moves one click, fast idle off and I'm gone. Got over 150,000 on my street bikes with this and never a problem. I'll be damned if I'm going to sit for over 5 minutes waiting for it get to full operating temp.

·
Registered
19,235 Posts
I take it off fast idle ASAP, let it warm for about 90 secs. As soon as temp gauge moves one increment, I ride under 3.5k rpms until gauge points to 8 o'clock. Then I ride as I please.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
You are right about oil temp., my guess is it would be around 140f if you waited for the bike to come up to the normal range regarding the coolant temperature. I monitor oil temp. in the truck, usually it's just breaking 140F when the coolant hits the normal range of 190F. That's with 12 qt's of oil sloshing around, would imagine only 4 qts would heat up somewhat quicker.

Scott W.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
i let oil circulate for 45 sec to a min and roll keeping it subdued until temp is good.
wait for tires to warm ...
and then go NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have heard that it takes 2 1/2 minutes for the oil to circulate throughout the engine...Then I go and keep the RPMs around 4000 for a few minutes...

I know this oldtime mechanic that revs bikes at start up like a maniac...Revs to 9-10,000rpm for a few seconds...I cringe everytime I hear that, waiting for it to blow up...

CrotchRocket

·
Registered
561 Posts
hmmmm... looks like I am in the minority.

I don't warm my bike up at all, treat it same as my cars. Turn 'em on and go, flip off the fast idle lever as soon as the bike is moving and in the gas a bit. However, for serious throttle, I sure do warm it up, then let it sit a bit, then go for it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have the fast idle on when I initially start the bike. Wait till it goes over 1500rpm then I'll turn it down to 1100 to 1200 rpm for warm-up. I consider the bike warm enough when the temp gauge hits the 8:00 mark.

2 1/2 minutes for oil circulation!! I find that hard to believe. Once those engine parts start moving, oil should be there almost immediately for lubrication. Just think of two smooth metal pieces rubbing together with no circulation for over 2 minutes! Another way to think of it would be wiper blades running on a dry windshield. The first rotation is fine because of the left over water(oil in our case). But if there's nothing there the next time around, SQUEEK! Not good!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts