Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 1346 Posts

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
- Weapon X: Ace Performance 1287cc ZX-12R Build -

Time to have some fun. Yes, FUN.

As some of you know, I have spent a lot of time working on my ZX-14 over the last few years. I originally purchased the 14 to tide me over until my 12R motor was completed. Then the project grew...and I never really got time to spend on my trusty 2002 12R. Chasing numbers on the 14 grew tiresome, and I just recently realized what was missing from my motorcycling experience...FUN.

So, while I have other pursuits going on with the 14, I have decided to take some time to get my 12R in fighting shape. Sal built me a great motor for the bike, but in the last 18 months I have only put 800 miles on it. Well, all that is about to change. I am taking the bike down to the foundation, and rebuilding it with speed and fun in mind. While I will take it to the dragstrip and Maxton, I expect to spend some time trolling the streets with it as well. :evil:

Before I get into the nuts and bolts of this build, I figured it would be a good time to take a stroll down memory lane...to look at where I, and this bike have been. I've never put more miles on any one bike than I have this 12R..and this is the bike that got me into sanctioned racing.

So, without further ado...

Here she is, a few weeks after purchase. I had already managed to cover nearly 2k miles!:

I was able to get the bike from an online "friend" in CA. Actually, I paid on the bike for about 5 months...in monthly installments. When I finished paying, he shipped it to me. I figure I worked about 400 hours of overtime (I work 12 hour shifts) in order to cover the costs. With 5300 miles and the Muzzy pipe/PC3R, I paid $7200+SH and took delivery around April of 2004.

Basically, the 12 served as my trusty street bike for a couple years. Aside from the occasional blast on the street, there was no "racing" involved. I think the highest indicated speed that I ever saw during that time was about 180 mph..which probably translated into a true 165. Still, plenty fast for the street, right? During that time I managed to put around 15k+ street miles on the bike. The 12 was by far the fastest thing I had ever ridden, and I was having a blast on it:

Then, I started taking the bike to the local 1/8th mile track. I would ride it to work, and then just head over to race after work...in my jeans. I didn't really learn a whole lot, and I was slow...but it was a lot of fun. A lot of the guys were in the same boat as me...so it still made for some good racing.

I literally went every week. I was only running in the low 7's in the 1/8th mile...but I had my goal set on breaking into the 6's. Looking back, my setup and technique were all wrong!

But I kept working at it...and the historic moment finally arrived:

That was an exciting accomplishment! :crazyloco:

Little did I know that the racing bug had bitten me pretty hard. Soon I would be spending more time at the track than on the street....

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Aaaaw man.....That was too short man,lol....Looking forward to hearing about it some more in the future.....
Unlike yours...I got mine pretty much already setup and running 6.2`s in the 1/8....The guy said it was all ready....Go out and run it....So I did and she ran right on it 6.20`s with an occasional 6.teen at times.....

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aaaaw man.....That was too short man,lol....Looking forward to hearing about it some more in the future.....
Unlike yours...I got mine pretty much already setup and running 6.2`s in the 1/8....The guy said it was all ready....Go out and run it....So I did and she ran right on it 6.20`s with an occasional 6.teen at times.....
I will be updating this thread until the project is completed! I have quite a bit more history on the bike to add...but I have to get all of the media files together and such....

Mine was practically stock when I got it...other than the Muzzy/Power Commander and K&N's. We unloaded it off the truck and I rode it straight to work...I saw near 150 indicated in 3rd. I was like, WOW!! What a rocket! :crazyloco:

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
- Continued History -

In the Fall of 2006, I decided to try out top speed racing. The Maxton Mile was within about 6 hours of me, and it sure sounded like fun topping the bike out!!

Maxton is an old WWII airstrip. You have one mile, from a standing start, to go as fast as you can. It sounds pretty easy, right?? WRONG! It is a lot harder than you can imagine, and the bumpy airstrip can give you sensory overload.

I didn't have any racing leathers, but Vincent Hill was kind enough to loan me his spare set. He also sold me a rear tire cheap, sold me some Bear Short Velocity Stacks, and even loaned me some spare gloves. Vincent is a great guy, and I will always be thankful for his help! :thumbup:

I spent about 3 or 4 weeks getting the bike ready. I worked on it every night after I got home from work. I added a steering damper, cleaned my airfilters, had new valve stems installed...and even did some ugly safety-wiring. All of this was to pass the stringent tech inspection at Maxton. I managed to get it all together and after a night of driving in heavy rain, we arrived at Maxton with no sleep...but the bike was ready:

I had to do my license passes before I could run the bike flat out. Due to high winds I couldn't get them all done on Saturday. On Sunday, I finished them. On my 175 mph license pass I went all out...the time slip read 177 mph. Hey, this Land Speed Racing isn't as easy as it looks!!

I struggled through some more passes, but could not muster more than 179 mph. On my final pass I was determined to tuck in as tight as I knew how...and get that 180...if it was there to have.

As before...my technique wasn't great, but I was giving it my all. Here is a picture of me tucked in at speed, in Vincent's leathers. I was probably about 240 lbs suited at the time:

Well, my determination paid off on my final pass:

184.66 MPH! I was thrilled (and hooked)! Maxton, and perhaps the timing lights, had smiled upon me. I was hauling butt at those speeds, compared to my street-only days!

So, now I had the racing bug on two fronts: 1/8th mile dragstrip...and 1 mile Land Speed Racing. Well, the next bug to bite was the 1/4 mile bug. And bite hard it did....

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Getcha Some!:crazyloco:

what wheels are on her in the last pic??
Those were Carrozzeria's. They were nice looking, but they sold me two that didn't match! That was back in the days where I was more interested in the looks of the wheels than the performance. They were both a shade of gold, though. :lol:

Oldkawboy has those on his 12R now, and he had them powdercoated black. They look great!

·
Registered
473 Posts
cool thread. i need to get to mir this year see you and the bike in action. the last two years something always comes up just couldn't make it.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
- More Maxton History -

Well, I was all set to talk about the switch to 1/4 mile drag racing...but then I stumbled across some more videos and pics from my first Maxton adventure. It is pretty neat stumbling across this stuff, it sure brings back memories!

So, I had mentioned all of the prep I did to get the bike ready for the first Maxton trip. Well, one thing I decided to do was to lower the bike some more. Having it jacked up in the rear end was not going to be good for stability. So, I needed to install some lowering links in the rear. I had never done that before, and it turned into quite a learning experience...

This is NOT the proper way:

Boy, that baby sure fell majestically!! My inner voice cried out in anguish...."NOOOOOooooo"!!!! :banghead:

Like this:

Well, now that the bike was on it's side...and I couldn't set it back up without a wheel...I turned lemons into lemonade:

Man, it sure was easy getting to those links!! :lol:

After everything was said and done, I wanted to test the bike for stability since I had changed the chassis geometry. So, with my trusty GPS I headed out on a sem-clear stretch of road:

Everything checked out, and I ran it to a whopping 159 mph on GPS. Back in those days, that felt plenty fast! I was probably a little nervous about what Maxton had in store!

Well, fast forward to my first licensing pass at Maxton. The sidewinds were 25 mph and gusting, so they would only let us do our 125 mph passes. I captured that on video, and while it isn't exciting...you can hear the wind roaring...I believe I went through the traps at about 128 mph....leaning into the wind HARD:

While at Maxton, I met Bill Warner. He is now the fastest guy in the world in the mile...at 278 mph. Back then he was running in the 180's on his V-max. Here you can see his cool V-Max...and me sporting Vincent's old set of Kawasaki green leathers (thanks again Vincent!):

It was also at this event that I first met Sal and the Ace Performance gang. It was also their first Maxton event (and boy did they rack up the records!). Sal even gave me some riding tips, which was cool. The two bikes they brought:

All in all I had a great time....and I knew I would be back! One final shot before we loaded the 12R into the rental trailer:

Next up...facing the 1/4 mile....and embracing it. :crazyloco:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
OMG...I was sitting hear lmao when I saw your bike laying over on it`s side like that.....My dog is looking at me funny...."Like what are you laughing at dude"......It ALMOST happened to me too.....But those are the only type of adjustable links I`ll ever use......

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OMG...I was sitting hear lmao when I saw your bike laying over on it`s side like that.....My dog is looking at me funny...."Like what are you laughing at dude"......It ALMOST happened to me too.....But those are the only type of adjustable links I`ll ever use......
I really had no clue what I was doing at the time...and I didn't have the right stands to do the job. Now I've done it so many times it is easy....but there is always a little risk involved. I use a little jack under the lower suspension link now. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
excellent story! i had one of those vf1000r hondas it was my first big bike. good stuff. cmg
I still have that old warhorse parked in the corner! I wish I had the time/money to fully restore it...maybe next winter??? I don't care that it is heavy and slow...it is a V4 with an 11k rpm redline! :super:

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I really had no clue what I was doing at the time...and I didn't have the right stands to do the job. Now I've done it so many times it is easy....but there is always a little risk involved. I use a little jack under the lower suspension link now. :thumbup:
I just flip the pegs, put a jackstand under the right side peg, then rock the bike up and slip another stand under the left on with my foot. I almost dropped mine by using a jack it makes it far more awkward to have to lift and lower with a jack.

1 - 20 of 1346 Posts