Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 race setup ZX14 destroyed itself this summer when a well nut got sucked into the motor and destroyed #3 piston. There is a well nut on either side of the air box that is used to fasten the back part of the side fairing. The nut extends into the air box and works fine as long as the fastener screw is solidly engaged. After a few disassmblies, that well nut rubber apparently fatigues and the brass nut falls into the air box and then gets sucked into the motor. Has anyone had this happen and what is the fix? I can't believe it was designed like that. (A 4K fix)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Amazing goop glue = Dab with the rubber to the frame so it does not fall out. If you have to, pull the well nut out, glue the brass into the rubber at the rear, glue the well nut from the inside.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Yes, they are all the same. It is a well-known issue. I always inspect them whenever I have the bike apart, and I never over-tighten. Better to have the screw back out of the fairing, than the nut come apart!! You could always have a threaded well welded into the hole, I suppose.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
You could always have a threaded well welded into the hole, I suppose.
best fix

sorry to hear about that Dave, see you next summer?

·
Registered
4,665 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
That looks like a good fix!

Mcmaster Carr sells the nuts, also:

McMaster-Carr

I guess you need a tool to set them, or do you? No air leaks?

McMaster-Carr

Sometimes you wonder why the factory continues with the rubber ones...I recall reading about some motors being trashed under warranty?
I have the tool but if you're setting just one or two ever now and again it can be done with a high grade bolt, Nut, and washer... Thread the nut on the bolt then add the washer to protect insert from the spinning nut then thread the bolt into the insert until the washer touches down. Then hold the bolt and start trying to remove the nut.. The process will draw up the insert just like the tool would do just a bit more work..

I buy these in 3,4,5,6mm sizes in bulk if someone needs just a few I'm willing to help out.

Also these can be epoxied into the hole and made work with minimal effort. Just be careful when you buy them to get ones with a flange on the top side. They sell them with a flange and with just a very small flare at the top that fit a properly prepped hole nearly dead flush. For this application the flange is what I would use for obvious reasons

·
Registered
8 Posts
Amazing goop glue = Dab with the rubber to the frame so it does not fall out. If you have to, pull the well nut out, glue the brass into the rubber at the rear, glue the well nut from the inside.
This is the best solution and I am sure this will work. Just do it and share your experience what you will find the results. I have more solutions for this issue.

Scales Store

·
Registered
480 Posts
This is the best solution and I am sure this will work. Just do it and share your experience what you will find the results. I have more solutions for this issue.
There's dozens of ways to fix this or most any problem ranging from chicken shit rigged up ways all the way to the most advanced and expensive fix possible. There's no right or wrong way just whatever way someone has access to at the moment in time.

The tool needed to set the rivet nuts I mentioned above can be purchased from Amazon for as little as $40.00 OR power versions for as much as $600.00.. Like I said I install about 50 of these a week sometimes more and I still use a $40.00 tool with great results and I use the steel inserts that require a lot more force to install than the Aluminum ones that would be fine for this job

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Dave Sleeper, was this covered by warranty at all? I sure hope it was for your sake.

Also on a side note, I'm glad you didn't place a comma inappropriately in your thread title, would have made a huge difference to how it reads!!

'Well, nut sucked into motor'

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dave Sleeper, was this covered by warranty at all? I sure hope it was for your sake.

Also on a side note, I'm glad you didn't place a comma inappropriately in your thread title, would have made a huge difference to how it reads!!

'Well, nut sucked into motor'
I did not try for a warranty fix-bike is over 2 years old. Until I took the motor apart, I had no idea what the problem was. Dave

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
anybody have a poicture or diagram of these wellnuts? I have not yet completely taken apart my body work so I'm not sure which once they are. This spring I will be completely removing the body work for some maintenance and I would like to address this.
Thanks
Lou

·
Registered
83 Posts
I blatently stole this pic from another forum post on the same topic. Question on the Amazing Goop Glue, Im going to get this done this weekend, what glue are you using? There are at least 8 different types of Amazing Goop Glue. Also, are you dabbing the rear of the wellnut where the brass fitting is visible and also gluing the well nut into place?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Thanks for the picture, much appreciate it.
If you are asking me about the glue, I don't plan on using glue but if I was I don't think I would use amazing goop. I don't have a lot of confidence in amazing goop. I will most likely be using one of the susjections above (well nut senario).

Lou

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Gluing the well nut into the frame is not going to help, imo. What happens is that the well nut literally comes apart on the backside and the insert and all gets sucked in the motor. I like the idea of the rivet nuts that Slingshot posted about.

Otherwise, inspect them frequently, and don't over-tighten them. Over-tightening is what fatigues the rubber, leading them to come apart.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 2010 race setup ZX14 destroyed itself this summer when a well nut got sucked into the motor and destroyed #3 piston. There is a well nut on either side of the air box that is used to fasten the back part of the side fairing. The nut extends into the air box and works fine as long as the fastener screw is solidly engaged. After a few disassmblies, that well nut rubber apparently fatigues and the brass nut falls into the air box and then gets sucked into the motor. Has anyone had this happen and what is the fix? I can't believe it was designed like that. (A 4K fix)
Hey Dave, Sorry to hear about the &[email protected]#*& nut story, and a big THANKS for the 'heads up' for us fellow ZX14 riders!
Can you explain exactly where the nut is located, I have looked through the ZX14r service manual and cannot find the location of the nut on the air box. Also which side fairing fastener is the one which screws into the nut? Perhaps if you photograph the side fastener it it will give me a clue where to find the naughty nut.
Cheers,
MoFo

1 - 20 of 24 Posts