Kawasaki World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i already have a new set of tires in my garage, i called around a few places to see how much to get then changed, cheapest place i found is $30 off bike or $60 on bike... sure seems high to me. what do you think? Thanks, Dennis

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I have a shop locally that changes me $15 off the bike each wheel...other shops are nuts anywhere from $25-50 a pop....:thumbdown:

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
If ya do it yourself it's free. Easy too. But yea...$30 off ain't that bad. Unless you have an in with someone, that's actually bout right.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
If ya do it yourself it's free. Easy too. But yea...$30 off ain't that bad. Unless you have an in with someone, that's actually bout right.
+1. I've been doing them myself now for years. It is easy once you acquire the tools. And honestly, i balance the tires better than my brothers dealer. He's had me balance his tires after the dealer changed them the last couple of years.

Lou

·
Registered
571 Posts
Reasonable considering you didnt buy the tires there

I bought a cheapie HF changer several years ago. $75 total ( onsale with coupon)

Figure it paid form itself the first change as i was/am able to buy any tire I want for the cheapest price.

There's a learning curve, good to have someone show you how; saves on blood-letting & cussing.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I lucked out when I bought my new tire machine last year they threw in the motorcycle tire adapters for free. Some stick on wheel weights and im good to go. Did tires on my 4 bikes last yr they're charging$40 here off the bike. 8 tires times $40 $320. Only paid $1099 for the machine plus the car tires I have done for my taxis. Machine is paid for.:thumbup:

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'd like to do my own. Don't want to gouge the rims, and the 12 manual says not to do them with hand tools. Local shops charge $35-40 per tire of the bike. Not bad all things considered, comparing to how expensive everything else is. But I am cheap and like to do my own things. Perhaps I should look into a machine to change them.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I'd like to do my own. Don't want to gouge the rims, and the 12 manual says not to do them with hand tools. Local shops charge $35-40 per tire of the bike. Not bad all things considered, comparing to how expensive everything else is. But I am cheap and like to do my own things. Perhaps I should look into a machine to change them.
I do mine with hand tools. You can take precaution by using rim protectors, soapy water, and plastic to insert inside for the tire iron to rest on. I break the tire bead with a large C clamp and 2 small square pieces of wood on the tire between the clamp. The majority of scratches on my rims is from road crap. The roads here are not the best.

Lou

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I bought my own tyres and it cost me $50 to get them both fitted and balanced . Got them fitted today and was very happy that they looked after my rims ( not one scratch) .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cool, thanks for the info, i think i am going to try and change them myself, it will save me a lot of $ in the long run to learn how to do it. i do not have any bike stands, i think i am going to use a hoist on the rafters in my garage, first i'll do the front tire then the back one. Thanks, Dennis

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i believe the same way... breaks beads then uses zip ties. im gonna put my tires behind the fireplace for a bit before i mount/unmount.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
he struggles more than I do without zip ties. Once you get the tire 3/4 of the ways on a single tire iron with rim protector finishes it off.

Lou

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
If you do mount them yourself, be sure to locate the small ring on the sidewall with the valve stem. You can't miss it. It's usually a small ring colored red or yellow or something about 3/8 inch in diameter...this should be aligned with the valve stem before you seat the bead. Your balance should be pretty damn close if done right. My last set didn't need any weights, as they were dead on. No vibrations at all up to well over 150mph so....

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'll be surprised if that zip tie method works with anything but tires with very pliable sidewalls.

just mounted a 190-70-17 roadsmart & cant imagine getting it pulled together like the one in the video. but wth? worth a try.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I'll be surprised if that zip tie method works with anything but tires with very pliable sidewalls.

just mounted a 190-70-17 roadsmart & cant imagine getting it pulled together like the one in the video. but wth? worth a try.
+1 I totally agree , but still worth giving it a try .. :thumbup:

·
Registered
239 Posts
You don't need zip ties or any tools to get the tyre on the rim, a few sprays of soapy water and hand and knee pressure is all you need, the hotter the tyre the better.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts