Kawasaki World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my second post but I've got a ZX12 A1 model and I'm not exactly sure what kind of sprocket and chain they are I'm 99% sure it's not what came on it and I'm only curious as what other people use to clean their chains. These are somewhat heavy bikes and myself being 250 lb help with chain wear. If anybody has any good recommendations I'm all ears I'm looking at liquid wrench chain lubricant but I kind of feel like this should be something out there specifically for the X-Ring roller chains that are on our bikes I'm pretty sure it's an x-ray I don't think it's an O ring seal. Thanks

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
For cleaning my bike I like to use lamp oil, it's great at removing grease but isn't very aggressive. With a soft cloth you you wipe most off with ease. It's also brilliant to clean your rims and swing arm with. I also sometimes use the Chain Cleaning from Muc-Off. I generally only rub my chain thoroughly with a brush when it's really dirty with clumps of grease and mud. For lubricating I use Chain Grease from Muc-Off.

I think you don't have much to worry wear wise unless you pull off hard a lot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man I appreciate the help. I went to advanced Auto and got the Lucas chain lubricant. I'll be trying put some kerosene, I was told it cleans good. Thanks again for the info

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
wd 40

·
Registered
116 Posts
Problem with WD-40 is that unlike lamp oil it's a bit sticky so new dirt sticks faster, at least that's my experience...

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Requires more regular application, but WD40 does a great job. They remain in good condition till nearly the end of use, and that's a long time between chain/sprocket sets.

Don.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I used WD-40 to clean and lube. Lube is only to prevent surface rust as long as you use an o-ring chain. The lube is inside the o-ring, you are only trying to prevent surface rust with the lube.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again for all the help but I have to ask, it might be a marketing thing but I found a number of articles talking about how WD-40 is one of the worst things you can put on your chain. Around 25 years ago, give or take a few years, I grew up cleaning and lubricating my 1st bike, YZ250 , fun bike for a 12 year old!! LOL I don't remember what type of chain was on it but cleaning it before each ride, I may have replaced it once? Here's my question, the articles mentioned that WD-40 would eat away at the O ring or X ring seals on the chain, that's what their take is on WD-40, then the same articles, many articles not just a few, they also say that using engine oil is ok for a lubricant but doesn't have as much penetrating power to lubricate the x or o rings but ok to use. I got some Lucas chain lubricant the other day and used it. Man was my chain dirty!! LOL I did notice that the wheel spun a lot easier than before using the Lucas chain lubricant. I've used just about everything over the last 25+ years of riding motorcycles and used WD-40 to help clean up and white lithium grease as a lubricant. I was surprised to read their claim white lithium grease didn't lubricate the x or o rings as well as a specialty lubricant. I used white lithium grease on a Suzuki I still have and have never replaced the chain, just hasn't worn out yet. I don't believe everything I read but I trust what's in this forum. So far you guys have been an invaluable resource and am very grateful. I am very busy with the caretaking of my parents, both are handicap. I don't have much free time to check this forum as much as I would like to but when I get a free moment I run here. Thanks again guys!!!

The attached picture is of the bike when I replaced the rear tire. If you zoom in on the rear axle, there's a black mark where the adjustment block was when I took the wheel off. Still have good bit of adjustment, I was told the bike has a 530 chain and sprocket set. ? Thanks again

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's right, the O ring or X ring seals are sealed with the chain!! So, aside from keeping dirt and debris out of the chain, the lubrication is to reduce friction and prevent surface rust.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts